Active Topics

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I could tell right away, this was the perfect popcorn thread!
Good idea!

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
What i want to know is the truth because after all us N900 owners do at least deserve that and if it is true what is being reported as well as the sad news i got just over 2 hours ago now then i want to find out just what this means for us... is that ok?

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by volt View Post
*sits on an Orange Box and eats his popcorn, enjoying the thread*
Don't forget to install pull my finger while you're sitting there.

Thanks Reggie.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

These are some of the things i want answers too,
What is happening with the MeeGo to N900 project ?.
This is in the Wiki page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maemo
n900
On May 25 2010, Nokia announced that future development for Maemo on the n900 would cease, although support for the n900 continues with release 1.2 of Maemo 5, and there are no official plans to port future developments of MeeGo or Harmattan for upstream Nokia devices to the n900, so the future of the n900 is unknown as of May 2010.[73] The developer community that has built up around the n900 has talked about working on community releases and support, in a similar way to what is found with Linux variants generally. Whilst this may be a workable solution for applications, which is open source, much of the software that interfaces with Nokia hardware is proprietary and closed source and relies on Nokia support in a way that would allow integration with unofficial developments.
This is in the Phones review column...
Nokia N900 Not Doing Too Good Sells Just 100,000 in 5 Months
Posted: 01 Jun 2010 04:53 AM PDT
It appears that the bastion of Nokia flagship-ness, the Maemo packing Nokia N900 smartphone isn’t as popular as expected as apparently the device has only sold 100,000 handsets since its release some five months ago.
According to an article by Andrew over on Fonehome, even though during the Open Mobile Summit, Nokia;s Alberto Torres stated that “sales have substantially exceeded expectations,” the figures show that the Nokia n900 hasn’t proved to be a major contender against rival smartphones.
According to the source article over on Reuters, in the first three months of this year the iPhone sold 8.75 million units in just over half the time it took Nokia to shift 100,000 Nokia N900 units.
The article also takes a look at why the Nokia N900 hasn’t proved popular, giving the reasons of the smartphone not holding the same sleekness associated with top line handsets along with running the now obsolete Maemo 5 OS which has been shelved due to Nokia collaboration with Intel to deliver the MeeGO OS.

I just dug this up on a simple search and it does in fact go a long way to prove what i was told being truthful.

Now call me stupid !!!!!.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Effective today, off-topic threads will no longer appear in the Active Topics block at the right sidebar.
Hallelujah! Can you implement the same behavior for 'Posts From Last Day' you get by clicking 'more...' on the bottom. Given that it's my prime way of accessing the forums it would save me a lot of time and frustration. If I really want to waste time on Off Topic discussions I'll head to the sub-forum in question.

Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Ignore function really should ignore threads created by people on ignore list.
Greasemonkey to the rescue: CLICK.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Now call me stupid !!!!!.
As you wish. Stupid.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
That article has already been debunked and amended to read five WEEKS rather than five MONTHS, in fact Nokia have said they sold over 100,000 in the first five weeks even then.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I probably WILL buy a second N900 today, and I'm not sure what I will do with it. I'm greedy that way.

But I wish there was a site something like this that didn't have Nokia as a sponsor.

You can donate it to a developer, maybe.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I was reluctant at first but this thread just made me implement what a lot have been asking for.

Effective today, off-topic threads will no longer appear in the Active Topics block at the right sidebar.
Perfect! Thank you very much.

I would also like to have all this NOISE not show up in the New Posts list. That's the first place I go to when I visit this site and threads like this are useless really...

Tags
best thread yet, whine + cheese?