Active Topics

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
it should still be in 2007HE since it is basically copy of N800 firmware with few tweaks.
Yes, but isn't 2007HE using the OS2006 kernel?

Actually, the support we get from Nokia is better than I've seen for any 2 year old PDAs from other manufacturers. Try getting updates for a Palm without spending a fortune.. or finding quality software for PocketPC... it's no fun IMHO.

I've got a coworker who's gone through a 770, 800 and just got his 810 last week.. and while I really like the 810.. I still feel that I'm getting more than my money's worth with the N770.

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Eastern Ontario, Canada
A word of sympathy. I entered the community with my purchase of the N800 but I must say I really liked the look of the preceding N770-The first inspiration. At a mere two years old I would not call that an old machine.
I have often felt that its those owners who are the 'early adopters' , the 'charter members', the 'core crew' and they still need to be nurtured, for it was they who made the first wave of interest gain momentum. An invaluable contribution!

While I am just a 'savvy' user, I had been able to keep my Treo650 going strong for me and I understand it has been around for about 4-5 years(or more?). I do hope some of measure of 'common user' support continues for the N770 crew. Surely their hardware has some good juice left for a few more tweeks?!

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by iontruo2 View Post
I have often felt that its those owners who are the 'early adopters' , the 'charter members', the 'core crew' and they still need to be nurtured, for it was they who made the first wave of interest gain momentum. An invaluable contribution!
Ha! I, personally, dropped that paperweight for the much, much more capable N800 and never looked back.

One area I find myself interested is the GUI and the possibilities for Themes.
Perhaps one area that the N770 gang could benefit, is with a 'face lift' for the GUI.
I know it doesn't address the issues of the more advance new software(ie Canola) but I personally found Zlauncher on my Treo re-invigorated my interest to continue using it with what I had in current compatible software.

There is a discussion going on pertaining to the possibilities of just that here:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=8705

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Ha! I, personally, dropped that paperweight for the much, much more capable N800 and never looked back.
Sure enough! Totally get ya. Love my N800, but not all of our community friends here can scrape up more dough for a new machine at each evolution.
I just gave a lady friend's Palm3 a little face lift tune up and she is thrilled. She has had it for quite a while and was basically content with it and I couldn't encourage her to a newer option.

Posts: 98 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Knightdale, NC
The 770 still has plenty of juice, but the main reason I was proud to own this device is because it is linux based. As a Windows user, one of the things lacking is a community "we're all in this together" sort of feeling. I always had the impression that other fellow Linux users would not be the type to abandon older devices as that is a very Window-sy type of thing to do. Microsofts message to their users is "upgrade to our latest software or we won't support you for much longer" I just hope that sort of cavalier attitude does not start make its way into our community. I love my 770 and I will keep it and probably not change to a 8XX anytime soon, but I want the Linux community to do what they are know for doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to dburr10085 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dburr10085 View Post
Maemo Mapper 2.2+
This works on the 770...or at least with 2006OS which is what I'm using. As far as feeling left out, I had that feeling when the Nokia released the 800 and pretty snubbed its nose to all us 770 users. It was at that time I decided never to buy another Nokia product again. Fortunately the 770 still does what I need it to do and my next toy will probably be the Asus EEE. I also expect some competitive products to hit the market soon.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
ya like what, that it can run flash....big deal!

I'm completely satisfied with my 770 and the 2006 operating system. It really does have lots of apps, many media players, text editors,paint programs,audio recorders, mapping software, book readers, messengers, calculators, and emulators. What more do you want