Active Topics

Originally Posted by jrock2004 View Post
yep I emailed BBB cause they wont swap mine they want me to send to nokia. I did but I am extremely dissatified with buy.com nor will I ever use them again
Well, it sucks that you have to deal with nokia's support, but in defense of buy.com, it clearly states on thier page that they don't accept returns on the 770, not sure why you think that you should be treated different from what's listed on their web page .

Originally Posted by bac522 View Post
Well, it sucks that you have to deal with nokia's support, but in defense of buy.com, it clearly states on thier page that they don't accept returns on the 770, not sure why you think that you should be treated different from what's listed on their web page .
I bought my N800 at CompUSA and had to pay extra $35 or so for a 1 year extended warranty in order to be able to get a replacement from them if something goes wrong; returns to Nokia seems to be the default policy.

well when you get a device out of box that is bad and turn around and have to get it refurbished. I think you would not like it. Nokia will not take it back or replace it. See they are putting up false information.

Originally Posted by jrock2004 View Post
well when you get a device out of box that is bad and turn around and have to get it refurbished. I think you would not like it. Nokia will not take it back or replace it. See they are putting up false information.
What do you mean Nokia won't take it back and repair it, the product is under warranty.

they will repair it but 2 things come to my mind

1) It is brand new and before I could even use it, it will be refurbished

2) It will probably take about a month to get it

Yeah, i am having the exact same issue with Buy.com and Nokia support. My brand new Nokia 770 WSOD item's serial number shows INVALID, so they are NOT even repairing it. I am very disappointed by NOKIA's support and Buy.com's support.

I got the same thing happen to my nokia 770 after flashing the new 2007 hacker edition. I got a white screen of death! luckily i bought mine from amazon.com and replaced it for free. Any idea why i got a white screen of death after flashing the OS 2007 hacker edition?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by ren31 View Post
Any idea why i got a white screen of death after flashing the OS 2007 hacker edition?
Random chance. The WSoD is caused by a race condition that occurs at boot - it's got nothing to do with the software you had just flashed on to the device, and it might have happened the next time you had booted OS 2006.

The WSoD flaw should have been fixed on the production line for later units (it didn't affect the original units either) so hopefully your replacement will have come from a later run.

I also bought it from buy.com. It worked fine couple of days before WSOD.

I called nokia since buy.com had special Manufacturer return policy. Nokia rep could not locate it using wifi mac id.

I eventually called buy.com. CSR had to get supervisor approval due to special return policy. In two days I had paid return label. And few days later I got my money credited back.

With experience of so many, I did not want to go for an exchange. Unlike shipping to nokia, I didn't even have to pay shipping. I would have liked to use it though when travelling.

How can a company like nokia market a product with such a fundamental design issue and then disown the reponsibility.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The WSoD flaw should have been fixed on the production line for later units (it didn't affect the original units either) so hopefully your replacement will have come from a later run.
I keep seeing people say this but haven't seen any firm evidence to support it. As far as I can tell, every batch that has been released (via Buy, Woot, Play, Amazon, or Expansys) has had its fair share of failures. One would think that now these stores have sold off the last of their inventory, they would have been from late production runs?

If the "doesn't affect early or late units" claim is true, is there a list of serial number ranges anywhere so owners check if their model is vulnerable or safe?

Do the repair people do any mods or use an alternative part, or do they just replace like for like and hope that the next failure is out of warranty?

Have any people that have had their device repaired had a further WSOD?

If there isn't any proof that this issue has been fixed, (or that the repair is permanent), why give people false hope that they are immune from waking up their tablet to instant brickdom?

Last edited by Northerner; 2007-09-22 at 19:21.