Active Topics

Closed Thread
So, how does Jolla see the future for SailfishOS being open source, is this a definate no to opening the remainig closed bits (UI)?

Concerns are also raised at https://together.jolla.com/question/...orate-refocus/

So, I am at least not alone in my worries.

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Makes sense, I have no feeling of "open" when that (half) open software runs only on a specific Chinaphone hardware even if it has a few of its outer body lines designed in Finland.

I am hoping they will also look backward to older devices and sell the license as downloadable ROM's.

As a customer I'd be happy to pay for Jolla Sailfish about 100 credits if they make sure Sailfish runs equally good easy to get Blackberry / Nexus / Samsung devices with plenty of displays, batteries and other accessories available.
Saves the environment and gives a second life to obsolete Android junk.

Good software does not have to come free per se.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
I want to see a sustainable Sailfish which can afford to invest the resources required to run and improve it. If they don't find a way to generate enough revenue to employ the guys who develop it, then it won't survive. I don't see how they can do that and give Sailfish away completely free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
How do you see that proceed, without more closed blobls ?
As it might not be impossible, it is for sure troublesome.

Considering the current history, this is not promising for the future if you ask me. Sadly.
As I've already mentioned a few times, you can still license stuff software with a 100% codebase by licensing your trademarks and artwork. You can also sell support for your software, get money for new features, for certifications, hardware support, etc. Your code is still fully open, people can send you patches and you are not alienating your community. There are companies using this formula rather successfully.

Not saying that Jolla is willing and prepared to do it like this, just that it is possible to license & earn money with what is effectively 100% open source software.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
..., just that it is possible to license & earn money with what is effectively 100% open source software.
Isn't that what large Linux distro's are living from?

Also some typical CRM package comes to mind www.vtiger.com

Now get some those EU millions, previously destined for Symbian , Jolla

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372010,00.asp

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
As I've already mentioned a few times, you can still license stuff software with a 100% codebase by licensing your trademarks and artwork. You can also sell support for your software, get money for new features, for certifications, hardware support, etc. Your code is still fully open, people can send you patches and you are not alienating your community. There are companies using this formula rather successfully.

Not saying that Jolla is willing and prepared to do it like this, just that it is possible to license & earn money with what is effectively 100% open source software.
You don't even need the trademarks really. You can give people access to your source without giving them the legal right to use it in their own products, even if they build it themselves. Licensing is a separate thing. Plus there are other things of value that Jolla would be selling to device manufacturers, like support for their hardware and training for their developers. I really hope they can pull this off.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
I guess the separation of the s/w and the h/w Jolla business will help as a 'safeguard' for Sailfish.
Jolla is clearly more interested in developing Sailfish than in throwing more and more resources into designing the hardware that would best feature SFOS, and so a clear line of separation on who works on which aspect (probably with the core of the old sailors on the s/w side of Jolla) will probably best help them going on with the planned business.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
It's pretty clear that this is Jolla quietly abandoning making their own hardware, and I can't say I am surprised. The Jolla phone and tablet releases have largely been a failure (10k tablet sales and 20-30k phone sales cannot sustain a company that is even as small as Jolla). I suspect that the original Jolla phone will be Jolla's first and final foray into making a phone, and that the Jolla tablet will be the last device that is made internally by the company. In fairness, I think abandoning hardware is the right thing for the company to do. The hardware has always been the issue for Sailfish, so instead of trying to fight a battle against Chinese manufacturers who are busy cutting their own throats, why not just let them make the device, and then certify a Sailfish Os for certain phones (like Cyanogenmod do).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Its good for the OS from my limited insight because simply focusing on software development instead of diverting attention on to many topics should be good for that small company.

It could be bad for all Jolla Phone enthusiast/owners as i smell a conveniently legal way to dump all hardware aspects to "Bad Jolla" and let them go down with eventual customer claims regarding Jolla "prototype devices" shortcomings such as missing spare battery ...

On the other Hand, the tablet looks quite promising. maybe i am painting to much black.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Its good for the OS from my limited insight because simply focusing on software development instead of diverting attention on to many topics should be good for that small company.

It could be bad for all Jolla Phone enthusiast/owners as i smell a conveniently legal way to dump all hardware aspects to "Bad Jolla" and let them go down with eventual customer claims regarding Jolla "prototype devices" shortcomings such as missing spare battery ...

On the other Hand, the tablet looks quite promising. maybe i am painting to much black.
Unfortunately, the Tablet is on the same ship. I hope the Captain is not the last person on that ship.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread