Posts: 242 | Thanked: 103 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
Just thought I'd recommend a fantastic portable speaker called the X-mini 2. I got it through Amazon and I can't believe how loud it is, especially in comparison to the size of the thing. Anyhow, here's a picture of of it connected to my N900 with the accessories that come in the box.

You can see how small it is, and in fact can be made smaller for carrying by pushing the two halves together. The X-mini 'opens' with a concertina effect to give a bigger sound. On the speaker there is a volume control, on/off switch, mini USB port to connect to the computer for charging. There is a very short audio lead built in to connect to the phone and this winds up and clips away on the base of the speaker. There is also another audio jack on the speaker to enable you to connect additional X-mini speakers to it.

In terms of accessories, you get a small cloth bag for carrying it around and a USB lead for charging it through the computer. The lead also has an audio jack attached to it so that you can charge and listen to music at the same time. There is no adapter so you will need a computer to charge the speaker. Apparently you get about 11 hours from a charge, though I haven't had it long enough to check whether that's true.

Pretty impressed by the sound, it's incredibly loud for the size, much louder than the speakers on the N900 and louder I reckon than most laptop speakers. I'm no audiophile, but music sounds rich and full and doesn't have that tinny sound you get from phones themselves or from really cheap small speakers. The audio lead is very short (about 10 cm) but it's not a huge issue. The X-mini is very light and great for just taking from room to room to play music.

Overall, I think it's a great little gadget for those who don't want to carry around cumbersome speakers with tangled cables and which need an electrical outlet. Can get it from amazon for £12 but might be cheaper elsewhere.

Last edited by dreadnought; 2009-12-23 at 21:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dreadnought For This Useful Post:
Nice review, I was searching the forums because I was going to recommend the same speakers. People should make sure they get the x-mini 2 rather than another brand because these ones are the best. Also don't be tempted by the brands that offer 2 speakers insted of one because many reviews say that x-mini 2's are both better quality and loader than the two speaker sets.

I have two of these and I also have the previous versions.
All I can say is that these tiny suckers rock!

They are so loud, tiny size, battery lasts for 10 hours for sure (even more when using low volume). The cable is the perfect size, if you want a longer one, you can use the provided usb cable which also has audio cable attached. You can also connect an unlimited amount of speakers to each other to raise the volume to insane levels. Get your friends to buy them and connect them. Its quite an experience.

The one bad thing is that you can put the usb cable in one unit and charge two units at a time. You need separate usb cables connected to each of them, if you say, want to use a couple as computer speakers.

Also, the base is so powerful that the speakers actually moves around a little bit. But I guess I can't complain about that

There is no substitutes for these. My rating. 9/10.