Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
But I have a long experience with Palm OS. I used a Palm phone for nearly 10 years. Yes, the same phone. During those 10 years, I had never felt the need to go down to the OS.
The good old PalmOS days. The first smartphone with upgradeable hardware. Have you used cocoboot or opie in the past? PalmOS is powered by access.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by billranton View Post
I've tried to give you an answer in every single reply. Every time you've ignored me, not addressed any of it, and moaned that I'm not answering you again in a really grumpy, condescending way, and I'm getting really tired of it.
I've seen not much of an answer that requires jailbreaking from you. Just because you think you have to do it doesn't mean that you have to. From FSO to even file permissions, I have access to alter that in BB10. Only applications that may set a temp/cache file have ever caused me any headache and I couldn't delete a file immediately. Even then, I found a way to remove the file without connecting to a PC.

Or perhaps I need to remove a BLOB in the QNX microkernel like I would in Linux monolithic kernel perhaps? Is that what you mean? If so, then you are 100% correct. I cannot do that. I used to do that with Linux with KRUD to remove the bits that were unnecessary from my servers. But those are mission critical and I've not done that for years and I know without a doubt that I cannot do that on a BB10 device.

Please tell me which parts you're having trouble with.
See below...

Any OS that needs to be jailbroken is inferior to those that don't.
Originally Posted by billranton
Again, it's not that they need to jailbreak it.
Does need. Does not need. Emphasis mine. Make up your mind.

But to answer your last inquiry, I'm having not having a problem with any of it. I'll not get a detailed answer from you; and that's fine. You have your opinion, I have my own. You do not have to jailbreak BB10 at all.

Absolutely no comment about Android though.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 307 | Thanked: 1,460 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Does need. Does not need. Emphasis mine. Make up your mind.
Ok, you've just taken fragments of my sentences to make it look like I'm contradicting myself.

More simply put, in a bulleted list:
  1. 'Appliance' OSes guard components from their users.
  2. Users get around this by putting together jailbreaking packages to remove these restrictions
  3. BB10 has jailbreaking packages available
  4. Therefore we can assume that it has these restrictions
  5. And someone felt the need to circumvent them to do what they wanted to do.

Any better?

The Following User Says Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
  1. 'Appliance' OSes guard components from their users.
  2. Users get around this by putting together jailbreaking packages to remove these restrictions
  3. BB10 has jailbreaking packages available
  4. Therefore we can assume that it has these restrictions
  5. And someone felt the need to circumvent them to do what they wanted to do.
The main reasons behind any form of jailbreaking on BB10 is to update past 10.2.x to 10.3 and the other dev builds that "leaked out" and the carriers were not pushing out those stable updates fast enough. It has absolutely nothing to do with OS limitations per se; it's all about being on the bleeding edge of OS builds for the most part.

For instance, AT&T has stopped updates at 10.2.1.3014 (or so, I do believe) and yet 10.3.2.798 (or so) is the latest version.

The issue there is actually surrounding the carrier approving the update for either of the 3 builds of the Z10 - I have to admit not knowing how many Passports builds they are.

It's arguable that this is an carrier limitation but even on an unlocked phone but with the carrier SIM in, it somehow stops the update process past a certain point. So yeah, let's heap that into an OS limitation and what's a "jailbreak" is actually akin to flashing like we did with PR1.3 on the N950 here. It's not meant for it, but it was around and folks wanted it... and did it.

At OS level, I've yet to find a trigger to force an update OTA, but I really didn't look hard enough. I just could flash to the latest iteration of BB10 in just a few keystrokes/clicks via my Windows VM and call it a day.

Any other questions? I can attempt to answer those concerns and appreciate you being specific.

Brilliant ta. Circumventing managed obsolescence is a really common reason. Do you think it'll be more necessary if they abandon BB10, to apply security updates to OSS components that they may no longer maintain?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Brilliant ta. Circumventing managed obsolescence is a really common reason. Do you think it'll be more necessary if they abandon BB10, to apply security updates to OSS components that they may no longer maintain?
No clue.

So far there's 10.3.3 planned, it seems to be security oriented. Due to QNX being used elsewhere (auto industry mostly) my hope is that BlackBerry still will update and enable security updates for BB10 OS as necessary.

Otherwise, it will be another handset that had an OS that I liked dropped all too soon. First Maemo, then MeeGo. Now BB10?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No clue.

So far there's 10.3.3 planned, it seems to be security oriented. Due to QNX being used elsewhere (auto industry mostly) my hope is that BlackBerry still will update and enable security updates for BB10 OS as necessary.

Otherwise, it will be another handset that had an OS that I liked dropped all too soon. First Maemo, then MeeGo. Now BB10?
Also Firefox OS. It wasn't exactly on my radar, but I appreciated its existence. These are really sad times indeed. It's really heart-breaking to see the amount of anger and disappointment on this forum right now.

I still have hope though. There are enough of us to hold something together, even if it's just a dodgy image we flash over fringe Android devices. And if it's a perceived success, folks will return. I like what Stskeeps is working on to decapitate android instead of replace it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,141 | Thanked: 8,161 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Whoa...
whoa-there...
hold it a sec.
I like ya bill..
and I have not a single thing to dispute with you that you have said over the years...
not one..
'cept now...

"...anger and disappointment on this forum..." ?

It isn't in existence elsewhere on the forums until the mention of competitors springs up...
(currently this poor behaviour is isolated predominantly in the Jolla subforums..)
then everyone weighs in...
truth of the matter is when a group/ org / corp. / whathaveyou comes along offering the moon...
provides it, doesn't provide it, comes mighty close to providing it, falls short of providing it, or does any or all of the above and then abandons their commitment or collapses or changes direction...
EVERYONE starts getting upset, crying, railing, ranting, whatever...
until the next promises come rolling in...
and then it is the same thing allllllll over again...
For as intelligent as everyone here is or purports to be...
you would think members here would be smarter and have memories longer than short-lived fruit flies hovering over the latest offerings of soon to spoil plums on the countertop.
Many were upset over Nokia doing what they did..or with Elop directly..
concerning the maemo line.
Many were upset with the lack of follow through and support with the n950..
then the n9...
Now it's Jolla...
Everyone should just use some frickin' brain synapses to dimly recall that all this crap has happened before...
It is pure boorish behaviour, unbecoming in intelligent people...

If it is possible for the individuals caught on this perpetual merry-go-round to focus for a moment...
It may be a very good idea not to put your money, faith or time into doomed-to-disappoint endeavours....
sticking to projects which aren't so unwieldy...
sticking with projects which can be handled by small groups or teams or even individuals.. has met with greater success ..and such work has and or can be picked up when those working on it need help, or can't continue...
cssu, easy debian, debian900...and that's just for the n900..
for my luverly n8x0's.... the list by groups and individs is long....

Trust in each other ...
Putting one's faith in an external power than ourselves ...here...
is folly...
and results in calamity and dialogue wars we periodically see with the collapse of the latest ...

If people are tired of the hamster wheel ..
get the hell off
and work at sustainable projects.

It is sad that so many devices and os's fall by the way...
I do agree...
the anger has no place here though...

Now ...
as far as what stskeeps is doing...
I do agree that stskeeps is aiming smart....
brilliant in fact.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Of course I was being a little facetious, and seem to have enraged a fair few people
Nonono,
nobody here has any rage left after the Elopment
- we just having fun here, relax.

I would say that QNX/BB10 is a fine operating system at its core with a great pedigree, but that the distribution offered to Blackberry users is hobbled to the point where I would rate it as equivalent to a console OS.
eyyywww - there be a lot you can do with a good console OS
if it has the right compiler tools installed.
(Unlike Ubuntu Touch on handsets
which has is designed to not leave enough disk-space
to permit compiling on device unless you destroy the
upgrade structure and toss it in the rubbish bin.
The disk space exists, but the only way to use it is to
rewrite the partition scheme in such a way that the next
future upgrade bricks your device)

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
"...anger and disappointment on this forum..." ?

It isn't in existence elsewhere on the forums until the mention of competitors springs up...
(currently this poor behaviour is isolated predominantly in the Jolla subforums..)
You're right sorry, it's quite isolated. What I was trying to say was that I find it a bit distressing to see the snarky states that some people have got themselves into to the point where we can't have straight discussions anymore because they're always looking to poke cheap jabs at Jolla (who don't really seem to be listening on here). I blame the tablet thread, which has at times reached levels of unpleasantness I've not seen on here before. I'm not saying these states aren't justified, just that we need to get past them and focus on the good stuff that has a future. I think the main catalyst has gone now, so we can move on.

I hope for good licensing news to come, and some wicked subversion from Stskeeps.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to billranton For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os