Poll: Should I trade up my n800 for an n810?
Poll Options
Should I trade up my n800 for an n810?

Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
So I have had my n800 for a bit now and I love it. But the more and more I read about the n810 and the more I hear people talk about there's I am constantly thinking to myself that I would like to have one.

I mostly use my n800 for a media player (8gb and 4gb SD cards), an alarm clock, a calendar, a map (BT GPS and maemo mapper), a to do list, and sometimes for web browsing (no wifi at work but at my house). I mention all of this to give you some idea of what I would use an n810 for. The things that are very tempting are the internal gps and the keyboard. But I am still slightly unsure. These are my questions:

How do you like the keyboard on the n810? Would I be better off just using a nice BT keyboard?

How is the onboard GPS? I assume it works fine, I have only seen a few complaints about that but I assume that is because they were bad units.

Would you sell your trusted n800 in order to get an n810?

Even more than just facts I am looking for your opinions and feelings on this. Thanks.

Last edited by verumgero; 2009-04-05 at 01:24.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
The N810 is a very good unit. However the GPS is not very good in most places and I fear that you may not have the good experience some others have had.

The keyboard is ok. I find the space bar is hard to press (seems a little lower) and some of the keys on the top row.

These minor issues (if they become issues for you) may cause some disatisfaction if your N800 is working perfectly.

The Following User Says Thank You to dbec10 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
No. It's not worth trading up. You may want to consider trading up to the new tablet(s) whenever they're released, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the input. My other qualm was the lack of SD slots. I like having the two slots and was thinking about getting another 8 gb or even a something bigger.

The fact that my n800 is working just fine is what is really keeping it in my possession for the moment.

No. It's not worth trading up. You may want to consider trading up to the new tablet(s) whenever they're released, though.
I am waiting with bated breath for the new tablet release.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
I greatly prefer my N810 to my N800, but even so, I'm going to agree with dbec10 and GeneralAntilles.

Originally Posted by verumgero View Post
I mostly use my n800 for a media player (8gb and 4gb SD cards), an alarm clock, a calendar, a map (BT GPS and maemo mapper), a to do list, and sometimes for web browsing...
Your list doesn't look to include enough text entry to make the hardware keyboard seem worth the upgrade, and while the N810's GPS isn't horrible, it's not worth trading in your N800 for it. Save your pennies for a Maemo 5 device.

In the meantime, if your current Bluetooth GPS too bulky, you could just look for a deal on a newer, smaller one. For instance, last summer (just before my N800 died and I bought an N810) I purchased a Holux M-1200 for about $36 U.S. At approximately the size of a pack of gum, it drops easily into pocket, and it achieves a lock far more quickly than does the N810's own GPS.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
While on hardware wise it doesn't seem worth upgrading, I have found the slightly smaller size, transflective screen and better pouch a nice "not so obvious" upgrades from N800.

The downside in your case is the single mini-SD card slot in N810 that will restrict the available storage space currently to 16+2GB. For N800 you can easily get 32+32GB SD cards if so desired.

For me the GPS has been satisfactory. The keyboard is also pretty good for short text entries, and especially when doing keyboard shortcuts (CTRL+C, CTRL+V, etc...).

Last edited by Mara; 2009-04-05 at 02:37.

if your current Bluetooth GPS too bulky
Mine is pretty smallish.

Your list doesn't look to include enough text entry to make the hardware keyboard seem worth the upgrade
I know, I know. But it seems so cool

Save your pennies for a Maemo 5 device.
That seems like good advice.

I have found the slightly smaller size, transflective screen and better pouch a nice "not so obvious" upgrades from N800.
The size and the screen were some of the nice points in my mind as well. But I have found a decent case. You would be surprised the amount of generic "n800" sized cases in the 100 yen shops around here. I found a nice one that was originally made for the Nintendo DS that has a nice pocket in the back for my GPS and extra battery. It would work well for an n810 as well I suppose.

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I thought a few times about upgrading, but I've got 24GB of storage in my N800 and I like having the FM radio and its overall form. If, like me, you carry a gadget bag, then a super-tiny-keyboard is a useful accessory:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...40&postcount=8

That looks like a pretty cool keyboard. Do you need to install anything to run it on the n800 or can you just plug it in and go? I had a fabric bluetooth keyboard that I needed to jump through some hoops to get to work.