I cannot figure this out i have tried http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/installation.html

but it doesnt work, i cant seem to get root access

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
For root access, either install openssh server (it will prompt you for a root password when you install it) and login as root via ssh, or install the becomeroot package from the Eko One repository (see http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php) and then do 'sudo gainroot'.

ok thanks for the reply but what is the root password if i never made one? Also im using os 2008.

How do i know if i already have a certain repository installed? Can i just install maemo Extras and install python from that?

I went into the catalog under app manager and see i have a lot of stuff installed how do i installl the stuff that this repositories hold? Im such a damn noob

Last edited by keypox; 2008-01-22 at 02:52.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I am a Newbie, too, and Python installation baffles me as well. First, it seems that if I want sdict, then I have to have Python first, yes? I have never dealt with Linux though I'm a very capable USER (not a programmer and not a professional) of Windows (and Macs). To install Python, do I HAVE to have a Linux box (or, gibberish to me, a "Ubuntu VM")? That is, am I correct that I cannot get sdict without my having a Linux box? Is there no way to get Python installed just using my OS2008 N800? Thanks for any help.

I am not an expert user, so please keep this in mind before following any of my ssuggestioons. To install python, you should nly need to havve the req. repository iinstalled... perhaps maemo exxtras? You ccan view the repositories you have 'subscriibed' to by checking Tools//Application Catalog in the application manager.

Python runtime should be listed in your app mmanager, check under "browse installable apps // ALL" buttons.

I didn't need root acceess to get it running on my end; installled quick and easy. Hpe this helps... no time to correct touch/keyboard errors, sorry... Life After Peoople is starting ;p

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
The Python runtime had been a visible app in the repositories.
The powers that be very recently changed that, so users can't see it.
Apps that need it are supposed to go get it on the sly.
Most of them don't, however.

If you have maemo Extras in your Application Manager list of repositories,
you can go to red pill mode (search and you shall find more info)
and then it will show up as an installable app.
Be sure to go back to blue pill mode after, the matrix is a scary place.

If you are xterm savvy and you have becomeroot installed, you can

sudo gainroot
# apt-get install python2.5-runtime

I hope they change it back. This is a bloody nuisance.

---------------------------------------------

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dubwise For This Useful Post:
Going to Browse Installable Options shows me a number of Python programs, but none are "runtime" (that is, no python2.x-runtime). I have python-efl-core-demo, -abook, -edje-demo, -feedparser, and -pyinotify. Are any of those sufficient, or do I need python2.5-runtime? I think I need runtime, but I'd be glad to just install one of those that are available as Installable Options. I figured I have to go to pymaemo.garage.maemo.org for an original install. And the instructions there say that I have to be "in RD mode" and the link for getting into RD mode seems to say that a Linux box is required to get there.

Dubwise, thanks, I'll give it a look. I posted my last post (10:15) before seeing yours (10:13).

Before you all go too crazy, check this out.

Success! (Who can friggin' believe this Hide-The-Pill stuff?!?) Dubwise, thanks very much; someday I hope I can be so helpful to another Newbie.