Hello,

This is my first venture to these forums.

I've been a Palm user for about 4 years, and the lame non-replaceable batteries are a killer. I lost one Palm due to a weakening battery, it would barely hold charges, and now my second one (T5) held a charge for a few days, and then suddenly won't turn on.

I started shopping around for a replacement, and had been considering iPaqs.....but I had reservations on those due to my not using Outlook etc, so syncing would be an issue. In the process I was guided by a conscientious Amazon reviewer to the n-series.

On the surface, the 810 appears to be everything I always tried to make my Palm into, and everything I hoped the iPaq would be. But the temptation of the Wimax edition got me thinking about how nice it would be to have its own connectivity. Wimax is, of course, almost a joke as most non-metro areas won't have access to it, at least for a looong while.

But seeing the pattern of the OS and product release dates, and seeing as to how the new OS details are coming out this week, is there any speculation (read: SPECULATION, not release announcements etc) as to when we may expect the n900 (assuming there will be one) to be released? My Palm has revived itself for the short term (now it reads 100% battery all the time until it refuses to boot, but lasts for near-typical usage again.) I can hold off for a little while I think so if an n900 could be on the near horizon it may pay for me to hold off a bit.

Also, as an extended question, I've heard you can use a bigger battery in an n810? Is this true? If so, which one?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
How did this wind up in the News section?

Err, apparently that's where the registration page stuck me on the "go back to where you were" link. (Oddly it didn't wait for me to activate the registration, it presented me with a post page....apparently in "news". It was supposed to be in "General"

Is there any way to move it (without re-posting?)

Incidentally, an hour later I got the registration activation link, and activated with it

Wow. The "News" section (normally) can only be posted in by staff; it's for the discussion of articles on the front page. So nice glitch you found. Reggie can move it, I'll PM him.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Moved to General.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
See this thread for battery options
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22811

The Following User Says Thank You to dbec10 For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the battery link!

And thanks for moving the thread. I do tend to find the odd ones

I'm still hoping for some juicy cure-all n900. I love my Palm T5, but it's just a bit too kludgy for using it how I want to use it. Cloning my T5 onto Garnet VM on an n* would be the the cure-all (except for beaming to other Palms and using my irDA keyboard.) A faster 810 with it's own comm (other than wimax...meh) would be amazing. Those new os specs are a bit intriguing, assuming they keep the hardware in step with it instead of trying to turn it into an iPhone....but that doesn't seem to be where they're going with the OS, which is good.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
We are all assuming that it will be some time till the N900. No one really knows. I doubt Nokia knows. Maybe next year...

Anyway, what do you want to use the tablets for? I, like you, pushed my palm a lot. The batteries on my T3 are so bad, it just lives on the charger. Seriously. If you can wait, then wait. Thats my advice. If you need a device NOW, and want to save some cash, get a N800. If you want the features of a N810, get that. Your Choice

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
We are all assuming that it will be some time till the N900. No one really knows. I doubt Nokia knows. Maybe next year..
May I exclude myself from "us all". I do hope that we see something in Q4/08, Q1/09. The N8x0 hardware is really dated now. I just cannot imagine how they'd plan to survive on this market without any substantial announcement soon.

Anyway, what do you want to use the tablets for? I, like you, pushed my palm a lot. The batteries on my T3 are so bad, it just lives on the charger. Seriously. If you can wait, then wait. Thats my advice. If you need a device NOW, and want to save some cash, get a N800. If you want the features of a N810, get that. Your Choice
My usage overlaps the Palm, plus all the things I wanted to do with the Palm but couldn't, or doing so was kludgy. For the PIM type stuff, and possibly even Documents 2 Go if it runs, I'd use the Garnet VM. I also have an HP48G calculator emulator on Palm an Oxford dictionary I'd consider running if it ran. The stuff I can't do (well) on the Palm, is file transfer to/from my file server (there is Palm software for samba and sftp, but it's crude and the wifi card is always fussy at best) SSH remote admin for my other unix boxen, of course would be a plus. And the thumb board is a big plus for writing emails, memos, notes to myself which is painful on the Palm without the keyboard. Right now I use PrintBoy and print it to my printer, then scan/OCR it to text when HotSync behaves badly. Hotsync, as well, no longer works on my Vista64 box, but the Hotsync version for the TX would. Right now I just run the Palm software in a VMWare box to bypass that issue.

Remote web browsing goes without the saying, is all but impossible in Blazer, and would be amazing for when I don't what to lug out the laptop-tablet for small tasks (frequent on-off isn't good for them anyway.)

All of that can be done on the 810. The GPS would be a fun tinker-toy too with the open-source alternatives to the tracker software, but it's not a critical feature.

BUT, if I can get a bit more power and the possibility of an independent data connection, it would really be the end-all device. I don't intend to buy a "data plan" of any sort at the moment, but the feature would be good to have. A far superior blackberry without voice. Fine by me!

The T|E was the one with the REALLY bad battery....I'm not sure what's up with my T5. After several rounds of shut-off status within 3 days, it's been running all week, was at 100%, yesterday with some IR and wifi usage dropped to 97, then today I watched it creep back to 99. I'm starting to think the battery is fine and the voltage monitor memory is messed up.

I definitely don't need it NOW, though I wouldn't get an 800 unless it was VASTLY cheaper...the keyboard is a big part of the deal for me. I'm not sure if the T5 can hold out a whole year though Maybe I'll wait out a bit and see if at least prices will dip a bit, for the the Palm to die...whichever comes first.