Hi everyone I hope to a Nokia owner in a couple of months and suffice it to say I have a few questions....
At the moment the questions I have are regarding the N810 and N800.
I don't want to post my questions in the wrong place so I am asking a question about a question (my head hurts.....)
Where would be the best place to ask this question? : Is the N810 worth it even with the semi-problem of the unavailability of mini-sd cards, shipping to Canada and 400 dollar pricetag? Or would it be better to get the N800 which is 100 dollars cheaper and has 2 regular sd slots but no GPS or hardware keyboard? A bluetooth keyboard would be about 100 bucks which evens out the price but there is no doubt SD cards are easier to get and will only be increasing in capacity. I am a little confused atm. So if this is the right place for this question please help me out with your thoughts and if it isn't directions on the best place to re-ask it would be much appreciated.....

Cheers all!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Well, it's partly a matter of opinion. First of all, while the GPS on the N810 can be useful, don't buy it if you're looking for a GPS unit; it works for some use cases, but if that's your purchasing motivation, you'll be disappointed.
As for miniSD, you won't find many of those these days - count on buying microSD cards that come with an adapter (e.g. all of them). This limits you to 16GB (at the moment) + 2GB internal, for the N810, but that's still a decent amount of storage. If you need more, go with the N800. There is also a third-party adapter kit that allows you to use a (one) full-size SD card with the N810, and while the kit is not terribly cheap, IIRC (link, someone?), the cards are cheaper, and currently larger in capacity.
As for price, I'm sure that you can order one from the US for cheaper than $400, especially if you get a deal.
In regards to BT keyboards, lots of people like them, but think about where you'll take your tablet, and how you'll carry it. If you're like me, and wear it everywhere except the shower and your bed, then the hardware keyboard is a must-have, as you can't always pack along a separate (larger) keyboard. If you often have a bag with you, and/or need to type documents, or a lot of e-mail, then a BT keyboard would be advantageous, but keep in mind that it'll work with either tablet.

So...
-SD card availability -> either
-SD card size/price -> N800 may be better
-GPS -> nice to have, but don't base your decision on it
-Keyboard -> if you do a lot of typing, buy a BT keyboard either way (N810's keyboard is decent, but it IS a thumb-board). If you want portability, then definitely go with the N810
-Price -> good luck finding a new N800, but probably a fair bit cheaper used than a new N810

Notes:
-the N800 has an FM radio, too, while the N810 doesn't. Probably not a big deal, but just FYI
-if you live in Canada, and order a US model, be forewarned that you're at the mercy of the paperwork-monkeys at the repair center if you send it in. I forget the whole rationale, but essentially, US models go to the US for repair, and Canadian models go to Canada. If, however, you happen to own a US model, and live in Canada, then they aren't really prepared to deal with that, and if you're unlucky, you may wind up footing the bill for duty at the border on the way back. This shouldn't happen, but it may. I talked to one of the higher-ups when this happened to me, and he got it sorted out, but it wasn't fun.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
wow dude I really appreciate all the info.

To specify a bit I don't want it specifically for the GPS by any means. I am looking for a decent device for multimedia playback and internet browsing on the go. EVERYTHING else is icing, sweet sweet icing.

The whole Canadian and US thing is a wee bit worriesome. I live in Canada but NOWHERE in Canada seems to carry the N810 anymore.
Well Craigslist has a few but its Craigslist so yeah.... not even close to new, Amazon.com has them Amazon.ca has never heard of them.... sigh.

yeah part of the 400 dollars is due to the Canadian dollar sucking again.... But anyways so yeah the 810 seems to be an overall better unit and a bluetooth keyboard could be good to get even for that. Even if its not right away.

You gave me some food for thought dude. Thanks again.

Yeah, NCIX just stopped carrying them, and they were the only place I'd seen up here that was. For media playback, be aware that you'll have to convert movies to play nicely on it. It isn't too much of an issue. For example, a ~1-1/2 hour Standard-Definition movie takes about 20 minutes to convert using tablet-encode on my dual-core Atom Linux box. If you have a decent Core 2 series or similar, it shouldn't be much of an issue. In general, though, if that's what you want, I think you'll be fairly happy with it. When you get it, be sure to search the forums, please. There are a lot of good threads in the newbie forum asking "what apps should I use for Foo", and "how do I do Bar", but they tend to get duplicated a lot. Feel free to ask anything that you can't find out about, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I have done a bit of research and wee bit of conversion doesn't frighten me. The Canola program seems like a really good all around media player. The Draw of being able to view full webpages rather than there dumbed down mobile versions is quite strong. As a Canadian maybe you can tell if the GPS works at all in the great white north? I have heard that you have to pay for it to get true GPS functions. I do like the fact that it comes with everything you need to mount it in the car though. Thanks again for the info dude its nice to be able to talk to another Canadian about this because sadly enough living up here can complicate purchases sometimes.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
The GPS does work in the frozen tundra of Quebec City, so it should work fine for you. Just keep in mind that the GPS chipset in the N810 isn't anywhere near as powerful or accurate as a separate GPS unit, but for most things, it's more than good enough. The built-in map program works free, but if you would like turn-by-turn navigation functions, you will need to pay for the Wayfinder license.

Welcome to the community, fellow Canadian.

Last edited by zerojay; 2009-08-05 at 19:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TwystedMonkey View Post
I am looking for a decent device for multimedia playback and internet browsing on the go.
In general the N8x0 provides an excellent web browsing experience. Much better than most similar devices I have seen so far. Especially with the alternative Tear browser which you can find here in the forum.

But be aware that you will probably be stuck with the Adobe Flash Plugin V9. And many websites are already moving to Flash V10...
There are some threads in this forum where this is discussed in details. There you can get an idea which websites won't work at all on the N8x0 due to the outdated flash version.

And there is no Java support. At least not out of the box.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
GPS generally works everywhere... that's kind of the point. The issue is just in the time it takes to get an initial fix (can be long), and the accuracy, as mentioned. For the built-in map application, you have to pay for turn-by-turn guidance, but there is another application called Maemo Mapper, which does it for free, with the caveat that you have to download the route from the InterTubes before you go out. As for the web, you're right about that. Install the Tear browser right away, and you'll be fine. That said, though some sites are still a bit heavy for it, and I've found that often (e.g. Gmail, Facebook) major sites will have really slick iPhone-oriented UIs, and they usually provide a nice balance between responsiveness and functionality. Often they'll have a link to that version, but sometimes you may have to change your useragent string. If you do track down a source in Canada that isn't too expensive, please let me know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
yeah every Canadian source that has them listed says they are discontinued. At least amazon.com will ship to Canada because other than a "slightly used" or "like new" one on Craigslist I think amazon is my only hope. I just hope there are still some new ones for sale in Sept.
This is what my wife is getting me for our first wedding anniversary..... heh. She is going to get a new cell phone. I am always checking the regular sites (alot of forums....) and being able to check that where I can find wi-fi would be epic for me. Thanks to everyone for all the info you guys all rock for trying to help a newb out. Cheers all.