Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
The presence of a stylus shows that this is again a resistive touch screen
What are you frowning about? Resistive offers you many more options in how you use your device than capacitive. You could never sketch or take down notes with a capacitive touchscreen, for instance. Options are good, hamstringing yourself by using a technology where it's not appropriate is bad.

(Besides, have you used a capacitive touchscreen for any extended period of time or for any detailed task?)

Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
And, since the "N97 mini" that was engadget recently looks EXACTLY like the N900 leaks ... and it has a MicroUSB on the bottom (landscape bottom, not portrait bottom) ... that would be an ideal placement for it on the N900 as well.
Hasn't this silly idea been shot down enough yet? The screen alone tells you everything you need to know to figure out the likelihood of this idea yourself: Mini N97 is 3.2" (vs 3.5") and 16:9 (vs 16:10).

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
Where did you get the information from... i cannot find anything about that in those docs?
Try reading the testing documents. There's a parts list at the top. . . .

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2009-08-08 at 00:59.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
This article about RIM filing a patent for hybrid capacitive/resistive touchscreens is interesting. However, one of the comments said:

but either the comment was BS, or my Google skills are lacking 'cause I couldn't find anything about Nokia being involved with hybrid capacitive/resistive screen technology.
I remember reading somewhere that there was company selling special stylus compatible with capacitive screens (of course, they made those for the iPhone). So I was wondering, a device with a capacitive screen for finger use and a capacitive stylus would fill everyone's needs...

However, I think we will get a resistive screen. I have tried the N97's one and it was decent, way better than the one in my N800.

Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Now, I wonder if the screen is capacitive and it comes with a specially designed stylus that works with capacitive screens... that would be awesome!
I suppose you missed out on the parts list in the SDK kernel changelogs, but it is most definitely not a capacitive screen (thank goodness).

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
but either the comment was BS, or my Google skills are lacking 'cause I couldn't find anything about Nokia being involved with hybrid capacitive/resistive screen technology.
The two big problems with hybrid touchscreens: complexity ($$$) and power usage.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Capacitive is the way to go. You can use a stylus on a capacitive screen. Even tablet PC's come with capacitive touchscreens.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I suppose you missed out on the parts list in the SDK kernel changelogs, but it is most definitely not a capacitive screen (thank goodness).
I didn't get through them, so yeah, I missed them. Was there confirmation about haptic feedback, though?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
A one RX-51 just made it's way through the FCC....bound for T-mobile USA..

https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...%27LJPRX-51%27

The Following User Says Thank You to ioioio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
T-Mobile makes a lot of sense. But if it works on their networks, there's a good chance it will work on AT&T's too.
Only for GSM/EDGE ... 3G doesn't use the bands for T-Mo vs AT&T.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
It's for 3G in T-mobile band...1700. Which is no where nearly as wide spread in availability as AT&T's 850/1900. But it's something I guess.

Tags
disapointed by nokia, dpad, maemo phone, my tablet is crying, n900, nokia gets it wrong, openmoko, rover, rx-51, rx-71 needed, screen size, smartphone, t-mobile