Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Hi all,

The schedule for the Summit is now more or less completed - sessions have been chosen, presenters notified, and while we're anticipating some last minute cancellations or moving around of sessions, we're more or less done. We got all the sessions we really wanted onto the agenda, and overall, I think we've got a great line-up.

Go have a look at http://wiki.maemo.org/Maemo_Summit_2009/Schedule

Many thanks especially to Valerio Valerio who marshalled the agenda wonderfully over the past few days, and to Jamie Bennett who (among other things) came off his Porcine 'flu deathbed to help with presentation selection last week.

See you all in Amsterdam!

Cheers,
Dave.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dneary For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Big thanks to Dave and everyone else in the community that had a hand in organizing Summit this year.

It sure seems like a ton of work goes into preparing for these three days and the work is thankless and neverending. Buy these guys a beer or four in Amsterdam.

The Following User Says Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Thanks for all the hard work Dave.

This may be academic at this point, but the only change I would have liked (and suggested something along these lines some time ago) was for community-oriented presentations to go together. I would have liked to have seen:

Giving Great Presentations - Dave Neary
Development Nirvana: How Maemo Application Development Should Be - Andrew Flegg
Behaviour-Driven Development on Maemo - Jose Teixeira
From corporations to communities: responsible and effective engagement - Randall "Texrat" Arnold
Mer from a user's perspective - Tomasz Dominikowski
-grouped in the same block. But I'm betting these were scheduled on an incoming basis more or less?

Looking forward to hear more about Harmattan

Originally Posted by dneary View Post
We got all the sessions we really wanted onto the agenda, and overall, I think we've got a great line-up.
Well, not quite: for example ContextKit didn't make it despite having yes votes from all three committee members and Igor's architecture & power management talk got neutered into a lightning talk.

I still think room can be made to accommodate more good submissions, especially on Saturday which currently has 2hrs 25' worth of breaks not counting the "doors open" hour.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
The own Maemo team helped demoting our own sessions since there was a bunch of them presented in the last moment (long story, nobody's fault). By doing that we made space to other good presentations from non-Nokians.

The schedule is a wiki, so if you have good ideas adding and not touching much what there is already in place I guess they can be still discussed. Think though that there were other sessions demotes or rejected as well, so reopening the debate might be tricky.

On the other hand, you can always contact Marius or Igor and ask them to improvise a gathering in the community area, with plenty of tables available out of lunchtime.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The own Maemo team helped demoting our own sessions since there was a bunch of them presented in the last moment (long story, nobody's fault). By doing that we made space to other good presentations from non-Nokians.
Not pointing fingers at anyone, I just think that the space constraint isn't that great yet and this is still fixable.

The schedule is a wiki, so if you have good ideas adding and not touching much what there is already in place I guess they can be still discussed.
I wouldn't edit the wiki directly as I don't feel I have the authority to do so and it can also mislead people if the changes aren't approved by the committee. However here are some suggestions:
  1. Extend Friday's schedule to 18:30 (same as Saturday) and add three Nokian talks at the end.
  2. Reduce the Saturday and Sunday lunch breaks slightly to 13:00 - 14:15 (same as Friday and still plenty of time IMO), move 15 minutes' worth of lightning talks from one day to the other and make space for 3 talks and a BoF.
  3. Reduce the Saturday lunch break only to 13:00 - 14:15 and get rid of the 15:25 - 15:45 break. Lightning talks move to 14:15 - 15:10 and another slot is created between 15:15 - 15:45.

Think though that there were other sessions demotes or rejected as well, so reopening the debate might be tricky.
I'm not talking about re-evaluating proposals though, just to find a way to include those that were dropped purely for space reasons. There shouldn't be much controversy in that I hope :-)

On the other hand, you can always contact Marius or Igor and ask them to improvise a gathering in the community area, with plenty of tables available out of lunchtime.
True, but official, announced talks that everyone interested is aware of are a much better option if possible.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Well, not quite: for example ContextKit didn't make it despite having yes votes from all three committee members and Igor's architecture & power management talk got neutered into a lightning talk.
Igor's proposal was a lightning talk from the beginning, we didn't 'shrinked' it
ContextKit was other story, as Quim already explained.
Originally Posted by lma View Post
I still think room can be made to accommodate more good submissions, especially on Saturday which currently has 2hrs 25' worth of breaks not counting the "doors open" hour.
You don't like coffee-breaks ? People need to rest a bit, and don't forget the delays that will happen for sure.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Yeah, I'll second what Valerio said. How many 5 minute talks will go into 8 or so? Well, mine unless I make some more drastic cuts!

Good thing I'm last.

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Igor's proposal was a lightning talk from the beginning, we didn't 'shrinked' it
Right, I didn't see that. I wonder why, the subject could easily take an entire hour or more (based on last year's equivalent and the advances in both the Linux kernel and OMAP3).

ContextKit was other story, as Quim already explained.
Oh well, I guess it's frozen now. Any chance we can get the GCDS presentation slides at least?

You don't like coffee-breaks ?
Oh, I do (and I have a nicotine addiction to feed too)! But I do think that Saturday's (2h25' out of 8h25' total summit time) are excessive when we are turning down talks because there is no more space.