Posts: 40 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Los Angeles
EmelFM2 file manager will rename the files however you want (don't recall if it handles .xxx files, but it does let you rename extensions)
The Maemo5 version is still in the Extras-devel repository so it is not quite ready, but once it makes it into "extras" I would recommend installing it.

The tracker method pointed to by codeMonkey appears to be the cleanest solution to hiding media files that you don't want indexed.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA, USA
way to take one for the team OP
glad I didn't have to ask this one

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Northern Hemisphere
does anyone know of a straightfwd method of playing a hidden video with the default player that doesnt involve unhiding the directory?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Seems the way to go... if it works, which I haven't tried.

EDIT:
Try to play with this section... looks promising:

Look how they include $HOME/MyDocs/.sounds/ but exclude $HOME/MyDocs/.sounds/Ringtones/
You could do the same, have $HOME/MyDocs/.videos/ in the "watch"-list (where it is now), create a new folder "private" in there and then include $HOME/MyDocs/.videos/private to the NoWatchDirectory= line.
Correction - folder better to be NOT ".video". See comments to bug 8165 - https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8165#c7

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
the question was answered in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=36395

you can also view all folder including hidden holders in your browser.

just type in your browser file:///home/user/mydocs

The Following User Says Thank You to felbutss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
I have also mentioned this for the image/gallery viewer. It finds all images on the phone. I'd installed some WRT (web runtime toolkit) HTML samples with images and it cluttered up my imageviewer. I have allready suggested this in 'update fixes', to be able to have a set folder for these kind of apps, like images or video, for display in their viewers/managers.

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Milton Keynes, UK
I got my n900 on friday and one of the first apps i installed was Truecrypt. i have a 3.5gig encrypted container on my sd card that i use to store my 'delicates'

this is much better than just hiding as it totally encrypts them so if you lose your phone the data is still safe.

best of all its crossplatform. I can plugin my phone and mount the container in windows or linux and transfer directly to the encrypted container.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
There's a very simple solution that doesn't require modifying any files and allows you to view the files through the normal File Manager application.

(1) Put your files in a folder named Private.
(2) Done.

The default Tracker configuration exempts directories named Private from indexing, so they don't show up in Tracker-using software (media player, photos, etc).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to akx For This Useful Post:
Thanks. Just what I was looking for.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Poland, Austria
You can use my simple bash swap script (you can run it from xterm or desktop shortcut)

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...protect&page=2