This is for me excellent news (and half the community too it seems)

It opens up more possibilities for me with the potential for external wifi (provided there are suitable drivers) and also usb to serial (again if the correct drivers)

One question though, mobile backtrack from neopwn professes to use an n900 with an external (usb) wireless card, how are they managing this or do they hardware modify the n900 to achieve this

Posts: 946 | Thanked: 1,650 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
I have the USB hostmode patches (by sarahn) in my latest test builds of the power-user kernel
but the procedure to activate host mode seems to extremely unstable or device-dependent.
So far only MohammadAG could get it working.
Once we find a reproducible sequence and clean up the patches it will definitely to go to the enhanced kernel.

Overclocking is just one of the many optional features of the enhanced kernel.
It is disabled by default and if you don't activate it manually it will never overclock your device.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to titan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I am personally looking forward to the power-user kernel with joikuspot capability, MMC fixes, and now USB host mode patches.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, however. Why did the N900 team decide to lock this capability away from us? What do we not know yet?
... and the changes needed to make aircrack/backtrack/kismet to live to their full potential

As for why they've locked out USB-OTG, the only reason we were given is that it wouldn't conform to the USB specs. I now think they just weren't ready to make it work and behave nicely so they've given up on it and locked it for stability purposes. The excuse with not conforming with the USB specs seems a bit moot given that it's now implemented via the virtually same interface on the N8...

The Following User Says Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Well, even if you don't personally want overclocking, you can still flash a kernel that is capable of it. Just don't enable that capability.

I am personally looking forward to the power-user kernel with joikuspot capability, MMC fixes, and now USB host mode patches.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop, however. Why did the N900 team decide to lock this capability away from us? What do we not know yet?
I'd get tempted if it was enabled :P
Anyways, I don't (and really, the patches are already available and they aren't mine) mind having it in his kernel (and I'll probably just use his kernel anyways).
Working on the GUI, it's a bit of a hit/miss right now though (script works fine for me however - not sure why it didn't work for titan)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London UK
What would USB Host allow me to do then?

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by crsnwby View Post
What would USB Host allow me to do then?
Copy data to and from USB sticks(or camera's, MP3's etc.) is just one example.

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Have a USB port that's the same as the one on your PC (not looking into technical details of course - there are power limitations and the such but a powered hub should be able to handle that, and setting it into host mode isn't the same as on a PC, since a PC always acts as a host).

E: GUI works, I just need to fix a few issues with timing.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
This Sounds Amazing!!!
How much longer do you think it will take for this to happen?

Thank You Guyz so Much!!!

Yeah unbelievable work guys, keep it up .

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
F*** this is a greatly awesome news!! I've been waiting for UST OTG since launch and disappointed after hearing that the USB OTG is not working... But now I got some hope up again Thank everyone who is involved in this.

If I'm a girl I would kiss you all lol.. But damn I'm a guy so i'll give you a hang shake and the word "well done mate"