Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by leetut View Post
i did find a way to remove the shutdown splash by editing an ELF image file, (i know it can be changed by replacing the image in icons)
but i dont want to replace the image i want to tell the device to look elsewhere for it, it didnt work, instead it removed it, there is also reference to the startup splash but i worry that changing that would cause phone to fail to boot, thats why i tested this method on the shutdown splash,
point is that there is reference to system/systemui in this file, and thats where i want access to
can you share/be more specific how you did this, id like to remove logo, not so worried about replacing.. THANKs

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
@yodude, good for you? hope you dont think im blowing my own trumpet here, im not, i just cant accept anyone saying 'its not possible to change it' regardless of how deep in the system the splash is, the doubters all said it before but eventually someone wrote a program that allowed it to be possible

the n95 info:
http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthre...t=splashscreen

basically 'wadowice' released a test program that allowed rompatcher to load patches as the 3rd bootup process (before the splash was loaded)
so i wrote a patch that told the device to look elsewhere for the splash
;splash changer
;patch that changes the splashscreen on boot
;made by leetut
SnR:sys\bin\SplashScreen.exe:5A003A00530050004C004 10053004800530043005200450045004E002E004D004900460 0:45003A00530050004C004100530048005300430052004500 45004E002E004D0049004600
-------------------------------------------

the n97 info:
http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/v...hp?f=6&t=38613
wadowices original program progressed into c2z4bin version6, this time i edited the splashscreen.exe file directly as c2z4bin now allowed any executable file to be loaded from driveC as long as the original was on driveZ, checksums are irrelevant as the file always stays the same size, although i did get round checksums later when i started adding more text to the R01 language files,
that info here:
http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthre...ight=add+inbox

the n97 splashscreen.exe was a bit harder as the nokia programmers seem to have tried to hide the location string,
the n95 location string was never hidden like this, it just clearly said 'z/resource/apps'
compated to the n97 file that said 'Z.:ùP.3L.AùHùC.R.E.E.N.3..M.I.F'
but it was still just a case of changing Z to C

-------------------------------------------------------------------
@f2thank
to remove the n900 shutdown splash screen i edited splashscreen-util
from usr/bin
changed this:

to this:

i never fully tested this so it may be buggy, but it stopped any shutdown image from showing

i thought the string above this, /system/systemui/splash/bootup_image
controls the startup screen, but was worried about trying to change it incase phone didnt boot up, in the end i still tried it and nothing happened, when trying to change the n95 splash i came across lots of files like this that seem to be pretending to point to it but dont,
so theres a file somewhere else telling the device to look for /system/systemui/splash/bootup_image

and i think its in /system/systemui/
but nokia has that location locked away from us
this is why we need a hack to gain access
i seem to remember reading that the n900 is only 80% open source, and i think we have a right to access to the other 20%!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
You were the first on N97 and N95, I guess you will be on this as well Lee

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
sorry i meant i want to remove nokia logo when you turn phone on thanks

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
@yodude, good for you? hope you dont think im blowing my own trumpet here, im not, i just cant accept anyone saying 'its not possible to change it' regardless of how deep in the system the splash is, the doubters all said it before but eventually someone wrote a program that allowed it to be possible

the n95 info:
http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthre...t=splashscreen

basically 'wadowice' released a test program that allowed rompatcher to load patches as the 3rd bootup process (before the splash was loaded)
so i wrote a patch that told the device to look elsewhere for the splash

-------------------------------------------

the n97 info:
http://www.symbian-freak.com/forum/v...hp?f=6&t=38613
wadowices original program progressed into c2z4bin version6, this time i edited the splashscreen.exe file directly as c2z4bin now allowed any executable file to be loaded from driveC as long as the original was on driveZ, checksums are irrelevant as the file always stays the same size, although i did get round checksums later when i started adding more text to the R01 language files,
that info here:
http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthre...ight=add+inbox

the n97 splashscreen.exe was a bit harder as the nokia programmers seem to have tried to hide the location string,
the n95 location string was never hidden like this, it just clearly said 'z/resource/apps'
compated to the n97 file that said 'Z.:ùP.3L.AùHùC.R.E.E.N.3..M.I.F'
but it was still just a case of changing Z to C

-------------------------------------------------------------------
@f2thank
to remove the n900 shutdown splash screen i edited splashscreen-util
from usr/bin
changed this:

to this:

i never fully tested this so it may be buggy, but it stopped any shutdown image from showing

i thought the string above this, /system/systemui/splash/bootup_image
controls the startup screen, but was worried about trying to change it incase phone didnt boot up, in the end i still tried it and nothing happened, when trying to change the n95 splash i came across lots of files like this that seem to be pretending to point to it but dont,
so theres a file somewhere else telling the device to look for /system/systemui/splash/bootup_image

and i think its in /system/systemui/
but nokia has that location locked away from us
this is why we need a hack to gain access
i seem to remember reading that the n900 is only 80% open source, and i think we have a right to access to the other 20%!
Good thinking.

That is also how early "unlocking" methods were accomplished with other phones too.

SLN member # 009

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
/system/systemui/splash/bootup_image
That's a GConf key, easily changed with gconftool or the like.
It won't help you, however.

The splash screen you're talking about is not displayed by SystemUI on the N900, but by the bootloader, NOLO. It could be possible to hack the bootloader (certainly not by me, lol) but it hasn't been accomplished yet, AFAIK.

You were able to hex-edit a file to get it to load the resource file from another location on your Symbian phone. Messed up? Fine. Reflash. Mess up trying to modify the bootloader? Goodbye N900, unless you are able to cold-flash it...

Last edited by qwerty12; 2010-04-22 at 13:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
That's a GConf key, easily changed with gconftool or the like.
It won't help you, however.

The splash screen you're talking about is not displayed by SystemUI on the N900, but by the bootloader, NOLO. It could be possible to hack the bootloader (certainly not by me, lol) but it hasn't been accomplished yet, AFAIK.

You were able to hex-edit a file to get it to load the resource file from another location on your Symbian phone. Messed up? Fine. Reflash. Mess up trying to modify the bootloader? Goodbye N900, unless you are able to cold-flash it...

What he^ said.

... After manipulating check sums, adding them in progression, or for different code groups, later phones required a dongle or an alternate means with which to communicate to them.

A lot of bricks were laid in the process of finding out but money was the motivation. In this case it's not like the N900 will be worth any more because it doesn't show a boot screen.

I often wondered why the N900 has an IR port. Obviously not for all the apps that have been developed for it.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-04-23 at 04:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
i cant find any image when switching off my phone???????? its totally blank even after choosing an image.png

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
So, the /system/systemui/ shown in hex editor image is not a path, but a GConf key, which can be safely edited with gconftool or gconftool-2, but it helps nothing because this image is shown only for short time, and the logo at start-up is shown by boot-loader, and if you try to edit the boot-loader and put it into your phone (it MUST be possible), there is a possibility that boot-loader becomes not functional, and you cannot even enter flash mode to replace the boot-loader with a working one, and the only way out is to visit Nokia Support, and here you will have to pay to them because it's your own fault that you tried to edit the boot-loader.

But... There are ways to dual-boot. What about dual-booting normal Maemo - and Maemo with edited boot-loader? If edited boot-loader is broken, turn the device off, boot into unedited Maemo, replace edited boot-loader with something else, try again.

Or the boot-loader comes before OS chooser? Then there is no way to guarantee that N900 will not be bricked.

Tags
access, hack, splashscreen