Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
The only thing done in private is discussion among 3 council members + community manager and done so because 2 council reps are in the running for this election.

But suggestions about process are always welcome.
AFAIK, there is no reason that discussion has to be private and cannot be done openly. But that's not the important point, which is whether an acknowledged violation of the rules will be permitted to stand.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Well if the matter is being discussed privately as Jaffa said no one knows the argument that was used. Including what would be the worse possible argument, that the few individuals making the decision thought the candidate would be a good person for council.
Personally, I don't see that Robin's affiliation with Collabora has any bearing on his candidacy. Given that, why would be better off invalidating his candidacy? To make an example of him?

I don't see any benefit in invalidating his candidacy, and a fair number of disadvantages, so why do it?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Personally, I don't see that Robin's affiliation with Collabora has any bearing on his candidacy. Given that, why would be better off invalidating his candidacy? To make an example of him?

I don't see any benefit in invalidating his candidacy, and a fair number of disadvantages, so why do it?
+1

(message too short...)
(btw. there is a German saying: "In der Kürze liegt die Würze", which means "Brevity is the soul of wit"... Just came to my mind...)

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
(message too short...)
(btw. there is a German saying: "In der Kürze liegt die Würze", which means "Brevity is the soul of wit"... Just came to my mind...)
It actually originates from Shakespeare (Hamlet), but I agree with your point. I'd rather have a short-post throttle (no more than 2 or 3 posts with fewer than 10 characters in 10 minutes), than the hard character limit. Off-topic, though.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post

...The information wouldn't get lost, and in this hypothetical situation (which, I wish to emphasise, we are not in - or even near), we would have sufficient warning to ensure that data was transferred onto another system.

Again, I think the problems we'd face if a vibrant community did have the plug pulled (which there's no evidence would happen to a *vibrant* community) would be logistical, rather than informational.
The forum server of course...

Although... now that 95% of the information has been culled, sorted, and posted; a static pages wouldn't be bad as sub-forum category stickies with the sub-forum itself used for questions, additional help, and/or edit requests...
It is done all the time and it creates a forum directory structure at the same time.

But all that^ can be determined at another point in time.

Leaving the final question:

Q: How much time (%) is expected to be devoted to such things in the next council term?

I'm now off on a 7 hour drive for a 5 day business trip sprung on me Friday, woo hoo

All I'm taking with me for entertainment, navigation, and information service will be my N900...

I'm glad to be also taking with me community developed apps like pyRadio and a community forum website for any N900 support I may need along the way... (...and that is a value that is outside the box our current, collective imaginations. )

Thank you for engaging in this conversation.

SLN member # 009

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
Then we find a way of making the documentation in the wiki more visible. A forum isn't a wiki, and vice-versa.
Just want to throw a hearty +1 here. While forums are great for getting feedback, they aren't so great for imparting information to the masses.

In all too many cases, discussion gets in the way of information!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Personally, I don't see that Robin's affiliation with Collabora has any bearing on his candidacy...

I don't see any benefit ...
Thanks for commenting.

You seem to second guess the wisdom of the rule itself, but it nevertheless exists. Such an affiliation is relevant or there wouldn't be a rule regarding it in the first place. Maybe not to you, but to others. It seems you do not disassociate your personal opinion from your responsibility to the community to enforce the rules of the electoral process. You were not asked to invalidate his candidacy; you were expected to enforce the rule that (unfortunately or not - it is not for us to decide now) invalidates his candidacy.

I don't want to comment any more. But try to understand as you consider this - it is not your opinion that matters. It is the opinion of the hundreds of people who vote of whether or not the election is conducted as fairly as possible. The election is ultimately for the community as a whole and confidence in the council resulting from it is an important benefit.

I again commend the candidate for voluntarily coming forward. I wish there was another way.

You seem to second guess the wisdom of the rule itself, but it nevertheless exists. Such an affiliation is relevant or there wouldn't be a rule regarding it in the first place. Maybe not to you, but to others. It seems you do not disassociate your personal opinion from your responsibility to the community to enforce the rules of the electoral process. You were not asked to invalidate his candidacy; you were expected to enforce the rule that (unfortunately or not - it is not for us to decide now) invalidates his candidacy.
Please re-read the rule again, because apparently you've misinterpreted it.

Originally Posted by Maemo Community Council Election Process wiki page
6. Nominees with a professional interest in Maemo, such as working for Nokia - or any other company involved in Maemo-related software development - must declare their interest when advertising their nomination. Failure to do so may result in the Nokia Community Manager, or the outgoing Council, declaring their nomination invalid and so bar them from standing in the current election.
(emphasis mine)

I don't want to comment any more. But try to understand as you consider this - it is not your opinion that matters. It is the opinion of the hundreds of people who vote of whether or not the election is conducted as fairly as possible. The election is ultimately for the community as a whole and confidence in the council resulting from it is an important benefit.
Actually, as one of the people elected to represent the community, and according to the rules, it is my opinion (among others) that counts. See the quote above.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
enforce the rule
As one of the architects of the Council and, indeed (IIRC), the person who wrote that rule; the use of the word "may", as GeneralAntilles has indicated, was very purposeful: to allow an independent group to decide whether the sanction available to them fits the circumstances.

If we'd wanted it to be an absolute rule, the wording would have been: "failure to do so will result in their nomination being declared invalid and so bar them from standing in the current election."

I don't remember anyone suggesting that wording, nor has anyone ever proposed a referendum on changing it. I stand by the wording, even if it allows those making the decision to keep a competitor for a council position in the running.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
When writing rules and regulations, use of the words Shall, Should and May have very specific universal meanings and it's not mere semantics to invoke them.

Shall = must, will, have to
Should = preferred, standard, default
May = can, able, might

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: