Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Back in January this bug was closed with Andre believing that Nokia was going to update their SUPL server to include T-Mobile USA data:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7057

But 8 months later it is still completely useless. Location-based services on N900 are mostly impossible to use unless you are standing outdoors for 5 minutes and can get a real GPS lock. It's frustrating when people with other brand of phones can get A-GPS lock in a matter of seconds.

The old posts about this told us to use Google's SUPL server instead, which indeed worked for some time but no longer seems to be working for many people, including me... I also tried lbs.geo.t-mobile.com which may not even be a SUPL server, but I found it while Googling and thought I'd give it a go. No luck.

I am curious: Does anyone here own a T-Mobile (USA) branded Nokia GPS-enabled phone, and if so 1) does A-GPS work for you? and 2) what SUPL server is it using if it works?

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Okay, so by posting this it sparked me to experiment some...

I found that if I disable GPS, but leave Network Positioning enabled, I get A-GPS lock INSTANTLY. However, with both GPS and Network Positiong enabled, it never gets A-GPS and only tried to get real GPS forever.

So maybe it's not a problem with SUPL server at all but N900's implementation of GPS/A-GPS... However I'm suprised more people don't experience the problem if that's the case. Does anyone else have this issue?

In that case, I'll just leave GPS disabled unless I really need it.

Sorry for the noise.

Posts: 76 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'm using t-mobile prepaid on my N900 (with the sidekick plan in force). When I start mappero or ovi maps, the N900 locks on to the satellites typically within a few seconds, even inside a building. The location server I'm using is supl.nokia.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to rabilon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
hmmm nope, something is stupid about the implementation. If i leave it with a-gps and gps enabled, it won't get a fix unless i go stand near a window for a minute.
if i disable gps, it gets an instant fix, off by a few blocks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
hmmm nope, something is stupid about the implementation. If i leave it with a-gps and gps enabled, it won't get a fix unless i go stand near a window for a minute.
if i disable gps, it gets an instant fix, off by a few blocks.
Okay, that sounds like what's happening on mine. At least I'm not alone

What I would expect to happen is A-GPS location (inaccurate, but better than nothing, and at least puts me on the correct continent) comes up instantly, while it continues to refine my location with an actual GPS lock whenever it may be obtained. Instead, it seems to wait until it completely gives up on GPS lock before falling back to A-GPS.

With both GPS and A-GPS enabled, it usually puts me in Valencia, Spain (I guess that's the default location). I'm actually in the middle of the USA...

You know what, I think this may be related to Power Kernel.

When I boot standard nokia kernel, A-GPS and GPS work together properly!

When I boot Titan's Power Kernel, A-GPS and GPS do not work properly. It always returns location 39.40 lat, 0.00 lon until I have actual GPS lock.

What kernel are you guys using?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
It is very strange, I have both enabled - GPS and network positioning and it locks in 2-3 secs.

Try to check:

1) change supl.nokia.com to supl.google.com and test

2) look into installed app - some of it may pull some wrong location library. I did't install any special beyond a standard OVI Maps but you may have something. Like browser location lib (forget it's name).

EDIT: Yes, I use a stock Nokia kernel but not power kernel.

The Following User Says Thank You to egoshin For This Useful Post:
wtf... ok i was using power kernel. i'll try the other one.

Thanks for your replies, if Creamy Goodness also has success with stock kernel then I'll file a bug report against kernel-power, and hope one of our heroes can fix it.

If you have multiboot installed, it is simple to choose between stock or power kernel when rebooting.

I normally use power kernel since it has ipv6 support.

yeah it actually gave me a fix within 10 seconds with the stock kernel. it actually is a full gps fix though, and i am 20 feet from a window and there's 2 floors above me so that is pretty impressive. i verified in sygic it was getting good signal strengths from a few satellites if i don't stick my hand over it. anyways i'm just rebooting to power kernel again to make sure it can't work suddenly...

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post: