Originally Posted by mishmich View Post
Yada, yada, yada. MeeGo would provided a mobile OS by April?

Bollocks. If it could have, it would have provided something that we could use on the n900. It didn't, it won't, and it can't.
So because you say it can't, that's how it is. Come on man, when was the last time you LOOKED? Never mind that the reference UI is simply that, reference. An example of functionality and how to do certain things. The intention is for people to do what Smoku is doing, and give it a real interface.

And yes, I keep hearing that I don't understand what MeeGo is. Obviously neither does anybody else who isn't working on it.
No, if you go ask Stskeeps he can tell you what it is. It's a baseline, and everything from the GUI up can be replaced with whatever the handset vendor wants. I'm sure you'd rather just sit back and insult his (and others) efforts more.

All I know is it doesn't do anything useful. Every time a manager hears "but you don't understand how it works" when faced with something expensive that does nothing, they tend to think - so why bother with it?
Well, hopefully they've done more investigation into what something is supposed to do and spoken with someone knowledgeable on the subject, unlike what you seem to be doing.

I can use it on my n900 - provided I don't want to be able to use my n900. Result! I have read through the install process, and what I would end up is an n900 that I could not do much with - less than what I can do now.
When did you last try it? Never mind that the version released on MeeGo.com is not intended for end-user purposes. It'd be like complaining about Linaro and how it's useless, without ever looking into what it's for.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by nocain View Post
Let's play a game here. In 2010 nokia spent $1 billion on symbian development and $.3billion on meego and QT for a total of $1.3 billion and they sold 100 million symbian devices. Now let's say these were instead Windows Phone devices and their MS deal is in place.

I am only guessing that licensing WP from MS is $20 per handset. Now let's say with this deal nokia is getting a 25% discount so they pay $15 per device. Now how much would they be paying MS in licensing? $1.5 billion. So $200 million more then staying in house. Ahh but the ad revenue they might be getting... Ok now let's do the above for 2011 and assume nokia is going to hit their target of 150 million symbian devices sold( laughable I know since they killed it in consumer eyes ) let's also assume they spend the same for symbian QT and meego development $1.3 billion. In this scenario they would be paying $2.25 billion to MS for licensing, almost 1 billion more then they would have spent keeping development in house. Do you really think MS is going to be cutting nokia a $250 million check every quarter in ad revenue sharing??? I doubt it.

So how does this make sense when you sell more smart phones then any other manufacturer, and symbian just in 2010 finally became the #2 smartphone OS? Oh and they picked the number #5 OS to go with?
At MWC, Elop was asked this very question.

Whether the billions of dollar 'transfer of value' from MS to Nokia is a 'net benefit' or is that a lump sum that will still be reduced by other factors. Elop said that 'the net benefit will be in the billions'.

He also mentioned that the move to WP was made because it will reduce Nokia's opex.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Well, the metaphor is appropriate. But perhaps this is better. There is a party, and it has people in black suits and ties, while Nokia have turned up stark bollock naked. Doesn't matter what may have happened in 2008 or 2016 - they have nothing to offer right now.
so you completely agree with me. I don't get why you are making it sound a lot more complicated...

in the future black suits are out and something else replaces it.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Originally Posted by ysss View Post

Whether the billions of dollar 'transfer of value' from MS to Nokia is a 'net benefit' or is that a lump sum that will still be reduced by other factors. Elop said that 'the net benefit will be in the billions'.

He also mentioned that the move to WP was made because it will reduce Nokia's opex.
Hmm ... first of all the Deal will reduce Nokia's sales of Symbian phones and make more difficult future sales of MeeGo phones or devices. The claims of Elop are very vague, based only on some speculations and it seems very-best-case assumptions. Net benefit is billions, but unfortunately negative due to loss of market and customers in the coming year.

Other issue is, Nokia cannot reduce opex so quick. Ever tried to release employees in Europe? Have fun, Elop. This will cost next billions. Nokia will pay social plan and MS licenses much more than MS is able to pay in addition to the lost market.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wiener For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/l...a-at-mwc-2011/

6:44PM "When you look at all of the value that we're contributing, the value transferred to Nokia is measured in the Bs, not the Ms." That's billions, not millions, folks.
Kind of revealing Freudian slip there don't you think?

Later it has been asked, will this be "real" money and he has avoided to answer. It is some sort of funny money for example when Microsoft has advertisements about WP, they mention Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@wiener: i agree about the potential effect on future meego phones, because the target audience are like us. those who follow blogosphere, online news and whatnot.

But symbian? meh, i still think a HUGE majority of symbian users don't even know they run Symbian. They buy Nokia for the brand, the good build quality, the 'familiar' UI (which is unfortunately fast disappearing within the last few years).

Moreover, if Nokia releases a beefy MeeGo phone, you'd be surprised at how quickly some people here change their 'goodbyes' to 'hello, old pal, Nokia'.

Yes, the layoff costs have been covered and discussed before. I still think Elop is under a huuuuge pressure to deliver this deal in favor of Nokia. He (and his children and grand children) will be hunted for generations if he doesn't, and he knows this for a fact.

@zimon: when he said 'we', he was talking about nokia in that sentence. reread/rewatch that part.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Later it has been asked, will this be "real" money and he has avoided to answer.
it is a magical money of the accountants: you cannot withdraw it but you can see the figure in financial spreadsheets
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Starting to wonder if anything would have made anybody truly happy.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I would've been happy if Anssi Vanjoki entered the stage at MWC as the CEO of Nokia and made it crystal clear that the Symbian/MeeGo/Qt plan goes full steam ahead but also other systems are "under evaluation" if plan A fails. And that they plan to ship four MeeGo powered devices this year.

The sooner they kick the MS drone out of the office the better!
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-02-20 at 19:40.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Samsung Galaxy S2 type of hardware with Meego and working Dalvik VM would had made me happy.
WP7 never will, and I highly doubt WP8 neither, unless MS transfers it to a open source license.

Well fortunately there is other phone makes than Nokia which prolly will do that. Nokia is history.

btw, you did not answer, how long you are willing to wait a high end WP phone from Nokia?

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org