It's exactly "test pads" solution I've mentioned in other thread, avasz.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lazart View Post
hi avasz,
well i knew the n900 pin-out and that for USB. I used an old USB-cable and cut one side off. you just need all USB pins connected to each other: Vcc, D+, D- and GND.
ok. Thanks... it will come in handy if i need to reflash my device. I wont do it right now.. but will study about it in detail so that i wont fry my device unusable next time.

And one question. Which point did you use as GND? the battery terminal or the one from the pad? There are posts saying not to use the battery terminal as GND but by judging your picture it seems you used that terminal as GND.

----

Estel, yes, I got it. I read all posts in this thread. Will be useful to me.

Last edited by avasz; 2011-08-30 at 05:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to avasz For This Useful Post:
Battery "-" is not ground, and should not be used as that. Use ground from test pads.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Balzan Malta
@avasz
I Repaired mine using the D+ and D- on the diagram but for vcc and Gnd I used the original. It is much safer because you still use the protective circuit. If yo connect directly you risk damaging components and making it unusable forever.

Originally Posted by luketanti View Post
@avasz
I Repaired mine using the D+ and D- on the diagram but for vcc and Gnd I used the original. It is much safer because you still use the protective circuit. If yo connect directly you risk damaging components and making it unusable forever.
The original means?? Not the ones from the diagram?

By original, he probably means ground from N900 USB port. Quite complicated - for someone who don't have broken USB port - but, still possible to do.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ croatia
Originally Posted by Wonko View Post
Actually, you do get access to the USB connector via these pads.
I managed to charge the battery having +5V and GND connected to a 5V power source.

Please be aware that this is highly experimental and you do this all at your own risk!
By messing with your device in this way you'll for sure loose warranty!
Furthermore, you may damage or even destroy your device!

Having said that, lets move on:

In order for the charging to begin +Data and -Data need to be connected (via some resistor ~2.5 Ohm) prior to connecting the power source.
Else simply nothing happens.

Note: I measured whats going on with the default power supply on +Data and -Data and it showed a resistance of 2.5 Ohm.
I used a 2.2 Ohm resistor and also tried to simply shorten +Data and -Data.
In both cases the battery started charging after connecting the power source.

I attached an image of the pins I used.
Edit: I added my stuff in orange color.
GND of course still is the same.

Please note that:

And also have a look at the rest of his post on the second page for much more useful information!
just finished connecting pinouts with wires, and i must say it actually worked. my phone died a few days ago, and the usb port was broken so i didn't know what to do unless i bumped on this thread and tried it out. here's some pictures of work i do. ofcourse there is much more work to do: need to assemble phone, arrange wires to close phone completely and so on. i will also post pictures of further progress.

and yes, i have a question: what means when n900 boot up to nokia logo and white led is constantly on, and after about a half minute it turns completely off?
Attached Images

Last edited by dvijetrecine; 2011-09-15 at 11:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to dvijetrecine For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Please note that this wiring for sure will cause data corruption problems on USB2.0 speed.

For indicating fast charger a simple short of D+/- is conforming to the USB charging specs supplement, and no resistor is needed.

Originally Posted by dvijetrecine View Post
and yes, i have a question: what means when n900 boot up to nokia logo and white led is constantly on, and after about a half minute it turns completely off?
This sounds very strange, and probably doesn't mean anything particularly good.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ croatia
hmmm, i did not assemble my phone yet, so if there is another way to connect wires with pinouts i'm listening i don't need charging only, because of problem that i wrote in my first post. i need fully functional usb connection which can flash phone. again if there is another way to connect pinouts...
sorry if i misunderstand you in any part.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by dvijetrecine View Post
hmmm, i did not assemble my phone yet, so if there is another way to connect wires with pinouts i'm listening i don't need charging only, because of problem that i wrote in my first post. i need fully functional usb connection which can flash phone. again if there is another way to connect pinouts...
sorry if i misunderstand you in any part.
For USB2.0 speeds (480Mbps!) it's elementary to run wires in parallel and without sharp bends. Even cheap *cables* fail to yield the needed quality of electrical properties on high frequencies for USB2.0 sometimes.
On the bright side odds are it may work every now and then nevertheless, and you'll notice instantly if it fails.
It's probably obvious that I'm not a big fan of this solder-it-to-the-testpads concept and I'd suggest to go for a proper fix as in
<apt> usbfix is probably: Fixate receptacle like this: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...991#post547991 - get the pic.zip form there http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=27 for details how to deal with contact pads came off, or >>NEVER use epoxy glue!<<
Anyway good luck, it's a pity our precious N900s are fading away one after the other due to this DAMN usb receptacle thing :-S

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
test points, usb port