Notices

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Cape Town, South Africa
@slender
Thanks for the advice...I have read the extras devel stuff and I keep it disabled, unless there's something there to get that's reportedly fairly stable.

Originally Posted by slender View Post

And to your question. PLEASE read thread where you are posting. MOST importantly the FIRST message.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=640717&postcount=1
I have read the entire thing but, as I said, I really could do with some detailed beginner type instructions. I just wanna play the game but get lost cos I dont even know where find the descent.pig and descent.hog files in the first place. I know that I must disable the extras/devel repo...that's not my issue.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by doonit View Post
I have read the entire thing but, as I said, I really could do with some detailed beginner type instructions. I just wanna play the game but get lost cos I dont even know where find the descent.pig and descent.hog files in the first place. I know that I must disable the extras/devel repo...that's not my issue.
So it says:
"After you've installed them, copy the Descent 1 game data files descent.hog and descent.pig (Both filenames have to be lowercase) to /opt/d1x-rebirth/. You need version 1.4a of the game data files, so maybe you have to patch them."

So to make it even easier for you this means that. You have to install(or maybe just extract) game to your computer. After you have done it you should explore created folders and files and search for files mentioned.

And about your issue. Hmmm. You have not understood. Do not get me wrong here. Devel and testing are for people who do not need to ask this kind of questions. Because it has been seen many times that quite soon you might be in situation where you come asking here why your N900 just reboots. You earn what you deserve (Info on this page REALLY means what it says).

Slender, thanks a lot for taking the time. I really appreciate it. I'm slowly learning the ins and out of Linux but it's gonna take a while, given that I don't get a lot of free time for messing around.
I will try what you said later today.
Originally Posted by slender View Post
And about your issue. Hmmm. You have not understood. Do not get me wrong here. Devel and testing are for people who do not need to ask this kind of questions. Because it has been seen many times that quite soon you might be in situation where you come asking here why your N900 just reboots. You earn what you deserve (Info on this page REALLY means what it says).
The thing for me is that I don't really mind if I mess up and need to reflash. I see it as part of the learning curve. I don't think I'll be doing anything to mess with the hardware like overclocking, but a software glitch or two can't be the end of the world. I take as much care as my limited knowledge allows. I'm very happy that there are people around ( both here and in the Ubuntu forums) willing to take the time. Thanks. you can be pretty sure I'll be back with more stupid questions in future :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to doonit For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
As slender already said you need the data files of the original game. The source code of Descent is open, but the data files aren't freely available.
The shareware-data, that is available for free, doesn't work with the current version. DXX-Rebirth 0.56 came out some days ago though and supports the shareware-data too afaik, will port it to the N900 when I got some time.
There's also a link on http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/ where you can buy the original game containing the needed files.

If you want to buy the game gog.com sells it cheap and DRM-free.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Finally got around to installing this port. Worked fine "out of the box", smooth framerates and all. Then I installed Accelemymote, and the framerate more than halfed.. anyone else experienced this?

I've tried installing it on my Nokia n900 from the extras-devel. I've copied files from the descent shareware archive on dxx-rebirth.com to /.d1x-rebirth/ and...
16:51:19 D1X-Rebirth v0.55.1
This is a MODIFIED version of DESCENT which is NOT supported by Parallax or
Interplay. Use at your own risk! Copyright (c) 2005 Christian Beckhaeuser
16:51:19 Based on: DESCENT Registered v1.5 Jan 5, 1996
16:51:19 Copyright (c) 1994 Parallax Software Corporation
DESCENT is a trademark of Interplay Productions, Inc.
16:51:19 Using SDL_mixer library
16:51:20 sdl-joystick: found 0 joysticks
16:51:20 EGL: Initialized, version: major 1 minor 4
16:51:20 EGL: Choosed config
16:51:20 EGL: Created window surface
16:51:20 EGL: Created context
16:51:20 EGL: Created current
16:51:21 Music /home/user/.d1x-rebirth/Music/descent.mid could not be loaded
Game log file. What did I do wrong? Patching?

Edit:

Originally Posted by LordNelson View Post
The shareware-data, that is available for free, doesn't work with the current version..
Oh... Sorry

Edit#2:
It works. Awesoooomeeee... Thanks.

Last edited by ZeNzO; 2011-03-07 at 17:55.

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Moscow
Thanks for the port!
Just one problem - music doesn't play.
And start to play after ctrl+m.
Can you fix it?