Just updated my transistions.ini to the one posted by dscobsct and wow! I love it! Makes switching tasks when multitasking much faster! Thanks for such an easy fix!

Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
no probs dude. cant wait for pr1.2 to hopefully make the ui more fluid again

Well, if I really think about that, I do not use any screen transitions on my desktop, which has much stronger hardware. So what is the point of running transitions on a phone? Even if they are smooth, they take some time -- and this is wasted time in terms of CPU time as well as user's time... And the removal of transitions may also positively affect battery life - the processor will not switch to higher frequency just because I am switching between apps...

Last edited by fhofer; 2010-04-08 at 15:30.

Originally Posted by fhofer View Post
Well, if I really think about that, I do not use any screen transition on my desktop, wich has much stronger hardware. So what is the point of running transitions on a phone? Even if they are smooth, they take some time -- and this is wasted time in terms of CPU time as well as user's time... And the removal of transitions may also positively affect battery life - the processor will not switch to higher frequency just because I am switching between apps...
Exactly my thinking. I'm a linux user and the compiz/beryl effects are neat but honestly i always turn them off. I want my OS to be fast and snappy and transitions just seem to slow it down. The same is even more true for my phone. I want it to be quick. Flashy shiny stuff is cool but i'll take performance over looks any day of the week... at least when it comes to technology

the transitions dont take up hardly any cpu load they come from the graphics chip, try open 10 apps that dont use graphics like games and see if it effects transition performance. and they dont effect opening times of apps either if u find a .ini short effect durations

Originally Posted by dscobsct View Post
the transitions dont take up hardly any cpu load they come from the graphics chip, try open 10 apps that dont use graphics like games and see if it effects transition performance. and they dont effect opening times of apps either if u find a .ini short effect durations
Well even without the transitions, switching apps does make the CPU go to 600 Mhz. I have opened conky showing only CPU speed and refreshing rapidly. When I do not touch the screen, conky shows 250 Mhz all the time. But whennever I touch the screen, the CPU goes to 600 Mhz. The interesting thing is that it does not matter where I click, i.e., just clicking inside the conky window has that effect -- and the CPU load remains low. It looks like the processor frequency manager has a tap-to-speed-up feature...

Can anybody confirm this?

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Rooted - 2 screen shots attached.

One shows the application manager appearing behind the menu.
The other shows the awful blur affect. I guess you know about this and it has been discussed, but I just wanted to put it up for others to see so they are aware.

Except this minor issues with apps appearing in the background (even after they are closed) I can't find any problems. Either way the speed increase is still well worth this slight inconvenience.

I guess you could get "caught" looking at "something you shouldn't" with this bug - but not sure if it works with the browser/media player/image gallery yet.
Attached Images

Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
Big thanks to rooted and his modified transitions.ini - so much better.

Anyone thinking about this mod should go for it. just copy the transition.ini over the one in /usr/share/hildon-desktop/ and restart... it makes the phone instant to touching when changing menus and opening/closing programs. Faster is certainly better than the slow eye-candy provided.

I'm going to add an enhancement comment to 'transition control' in devel that it should include pre-fixes to perform the functions of these varios transactions.ini files.

update: not sure how to add a note to http://maemo.org/packages/view/transitioncontrol/ and i can't find the project on the garage. little help anyone?

hey man, how to copy the transitions.ini ..i dunno how..can u tell me plzz step by step how to do it

i have installed the first one..but i wanna try the one ur talking about..but dunno how to copy

just copy the transitions.ini to usr/share/hildon desktop by what ever means u prefere. u have to do the sudo gainroot command first.

The Following User Says Thank You to dscobsct For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dscobsct View Post
just copy the transitions.ini to usr/share/hildon desktop by what ever means u prefere. u have to do the sudo gainroot command first.
lol if i knew how to copy i wouldn't ask u man..just tell me what to write in x-terminal

don't tell me copy to usr/share/hildon desktop..iam newbie..i did the first one with some help

Tags
face stuck in palm