Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
... but it's limited to Nokia phones.
No, it's not. What makes you believe it is?

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
Works fine with a OLD Sony Ericsson, so I don't know what you are talking about...

I want to address one thing about the cellphone inside a NIT. We all agree that it would be bad because telco companies might place restrictions (like the iPhone), but another complaint is the

"I don't want to be stuck with 3G or 4G, because it is not upgradeable, thus I would like to pair with a phone over bluetooth so I can have the fastest internet connection."

Ok, the way the market is moving today, by the time 5G or full coverage of 4G comes to the market, I am 99.999% sure that you could buy a phone or MID or whatever that is cheaper and faster etc than a tablet. So why the hell would you use a tablet in the future, when the phone you are using to tether is BETTER than the tablet itself? Just does not make sense...
Not to mention that Bluetooth bandwitdth peaks out at what? 1Mb/s for version 1.2, 3Mb/s for version 2; and there you have it, it's already completely saturated at less than the bandwidth available via your phone. So what good is your 3, 4 or 5G connection to your phone if the pipe to your tablet is the limiting factor. Besides, honestly, you can't tell me you wouldn't have up graded by to the next version of the tablet anyways. A 3 to 4 year replacement cycle, or however long the telco G-upgrade takes, seems completely acceptable to me (of course, as I say this I'm still using my 770, though waiting with bated breath for the 900). Personally, if it's not obviously already, I would prefer to have a sim slot in the NIT. And no, I'm not saying I would use the NIT as a phone, it's for the data. Sorry for flogging a dead horse, just my 2

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
note that the bandwidth of a 3G connection is relative to the saturation of the local cell, so while at peak the bluetooth connection can be the bottleneck, it do not have to be.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Since when, exactly? Last I checked, DUN and PAN were pretty damn ubiquitous standards.
I was under the impression that bluetooth connectivity was limited to just Nokia phones. At least that's how I read the information on it. Then again, it could have been Nokia marketing spin too. But that was how I initially read it.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
note that the bandwidth of a 3G connection is relative to the saturation of the local cell, so while at peak the bluetooth connection can be the bottleneck, it do not have to be.
True, true, but we're comparing ideals here, or at least averages. 1 or 3 Mb/s is the peak theoretical bandwidth, what kind of bandwidth to you actually see from bluetooth in real life. And I'm asking, not saying. Regardless, even though I'm on the fence about the advantages vs. disadvantages of convergence, I'm closer to wanting it all in one device...one to rule them all!

i guess my dream would be a collection of devices doing specifically one task and exchanging data over a wireless band. why? because of one of them breaks, you only have to replace it rather then having to replace the whole...

TSO: Actually, they're working on modular MIDs and Internet Tablets that will do what you mention, but in a single form factor. All parts (or at least the majority of them) will be user swappable and replaceable. They have one out there that's a concept prototype (it looks kinda like the building blocks used by the Stargate Replicators) which is already putting to full use that idea of modular all-in-one design.

Originally Posted by Lord Raiden View Post
TSO: Actually, they're working on modular MIDs and Internet Tablets that will do what you mention, but in a single form factor. All parts (or at least the majority of them) will be user swappable and replaceable. They have one out there that's a concept prototype (it looks kinda like the building blocks used by the Stargate Replicators) which is already putting to full use that idea of modular all-in-one design.
what? bug labs, or something else? (im not familiar with stargate btw, only "tv" series i watch lately are fansubbed anime)

the problem with a all in one is that you have to take it apart if you want to leave something behind to reduce bulk.

with wireless one could drop the part that you dont really need to directly handle (like say storage or wwan) into a pocket and forget about it.

i guess my dream would be a collection of devices doing specifically one task and exchanging data over a wireless band. why? because of one of them breaks, you only have to replace it rather then having to replace the whole...
Which will remain a dream because wireless spectrum isn't getting any opener, and amounts of data that need transferred are going up. That means higher radio power.

I'm pretty solidly in the interchangeable-radio-module camp, for now; unfortunately, there's no real good standard for an N800-sized device now. ExpressCard/34's a bit big, and typically have huge antennae outside the form factor, while mini-PCIe is maybe a touch big (half-size is dead on, though), but don't include antennae at all; both of them are pretty good though, as they permit USB connections, which are adequate for most data links, and certainly for all the data the tablet can use.

Maybe some such USB-only internal form-factor should be standardized, but in the meantime, I'd be tempted to abuse one of those standards by making a non-conforming PCIe-less (but otherwise fully-compatible) version, if I was in charge of designing such a device.

There's always SDIO, and I suppose (if they could scrounge up 3 SD interfaces on the N900) that would actually make sense; 2GB (make that 4GB) internal, one internal (SDIO-capable) slot for either WiMAX or storage, and one external. One model covering the entire N800/N810W(/N810UMTS/etc.) range. Still, I'd rather two free SDs and a separate USB-based data slot. You can always rig up a flash drive for that, too.

This approach has the additional advantage of separate batteries for each device. So if you want to listen to music for 12 hours, you aren't sacrificing your ability to make or receive a phone call at the end of the flight (for example). But the question is, are you willing to put up with carrying all of those devices as the price?

Tags
dpads are fun, ideas, n900, n900 wishlist, revenge of the styli, stuff for nokia to read, the wrath of sty, wishlist