Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Detroit, Mi
Originally Posted by TaoGreen View Post
Seems it is time to ask those have the usb problem what kind of ca101 did they use? The default one came with the phone or other ones?
Well considering that they all come from NOKIA, it should only make sense that they should not be breaking NOKIA devices. Not to mention that a phone using a USB standard should not become irreparable due to chargers using the same standard. I have seen devices a tenth of the cost of this with a better USB port.

Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Just wondering what you guys think of this comment made on the whirlpool site here in Aus.

"1. MicroUSB port issue where it gets ripped off the main pcb was happening mainly on the pre-retail version of N900 which was gven out to a number of early testers. It is not common on the retail version of N900."
Obviously this is a problem not isolated to the pre-retail N900.

A Quick Update: I just sent my broken N900 to the Nokia Repair Center in Alabama (why so far away?), so wish me luck...

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
this helped me a lot! after a week of obtaining the device, i read about the usb issue, in finding a solution/prevention, i am directed to your post!. thanks!
I am glad it did . I had mine for about 3 weeks before I did the mod. It was a must for me because the cost of sending it back to the states would have been more than double the $30 I spent on the additional charger I grinded down.

Originally Posted by arkadinho View Post
This is unbelievable! I've had my new N900 for exactly a week now and the USB port is already broken! This is ridiculous! I just signed a two year contract, it's a great phone but this is very very cheap/bad/unbelievable/no words for this. Even if I get a new phone from my provider (I live in Holland), the same problem might just as well happen with the new one, and then what?

Is there no way to fix this ourselves?
Ouch in one week! I am sure they will replace it with a new one. Don't even think about trying to fix it because A, it's brand new and B, you will void your warranty..

If you're worried the same will happen again maybe try and get a different phone or get an additional charger and grind down the hooks like I did. We shouldn't have to do it but it's the easiest work around that I know of.

The Following User Says Thank You to Magel282 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Possible but improbable. Don't even try.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Here is a pic of the actual usb port on the main board of the N900.
As you can see the pads holding the jacket of the port itself are way way too small for a usb port and is clearly a design fault also it is surface mount and no through hole at all in the design as it fully relies on the 4 corner soldered points , the underside adhesive applied during assembly and the 5 data/charge points at the rear of the port.
The obvious fault that occurs is the usb port detatches itself from the m/b (motherboard) because of insufficient hold on the m/b but before it does, dry jointing occurs and the very reason a "wiggle" is needed to get the charge or data flow to work (this action in fact makes the process of detatchment terminal).
I would NOT reccomend anyone even try a repair or a fix whilst in warranty as this will for sure invalidate it (nokia aint stupid and can easily tell if its been worked on at all).
In the future when all warranty has expired it is easily possible to actually solder an external usb port via a lead soldered directly onto the 5 points at the rear.
Hope this is helpful.
Attached Images

Last edited by abill_uk; 2010-05-08 at 15:03.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
In some countries (eg. UK) a fault that is due to manufacture or design must be repaired irrespective of any warranty that may or may not be in effect. In these countries Nokia will remain liable for up to something like 10 years - my guess is that Nokia hope the disposable nature of modern phones will ensure their liability is very much limited, but don't be put off should your N900 develop this fault and you're just out of warranty - it doesn't matter, it's still down to Nokia to fix, at no cost to you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Hello all, I have my final update for you...

So since my last update, UPS were supposed to collect my phone Wednesday, Thursday and Friday last week.

This time it wasn't Nokia's fault though! :P UPS had technical issues with printing my label (such a monumental task, I know).

So anyway, Nokia gave up with UPS on Friday and instead organised a replacement N900 to be sent out to me for today (Monday, well it's now technically Tuesday).

So,they came, they delivered and they took my old phone away and I am now typing on my shiny new N900.

So, to sum up the situation for you all in the UK:

Ring Nokia's head office, ask to be put through to complaints (this is actually Nokia Care's head office, but that's what you have to ask for to be put through). Explain your situation, they all know about the USB issue, and then they'll help you from there.

Good luck to anyone else with the same troubles, I'm sure I'll be calling them back fairly soon with the same problem all over again...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wichall For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Magel282 View Post
I am glad it did . I had mine for about 3 weeks before I did the mod. It was a must for me because the cost of sending it back to the states would have been more than double the $30 I spent on the additional charger I grinded down.
wow 3 weeks? i had mine 2 weeks then i read about this thread and you post as well, i believe Texrat directed me to your post

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
This is unbelievable! I've had my new N900 for exactly a week now and the USB port is already broken! This is ridiculous! I just signed a two year contract, it's a great phone but this is very very cheap/bad/unbelievable/no words for this. Even if I get a new phone from my provider (I live in Holland), the same problem might just as well happen with the new one, and then what?

at first, i was having a hard time plugging and unplugging the n900 with the charger/data cable so i used mt n97's.

then i read about this thread and grind down my n900's charger/data cable.

in 3 months, every thing is okay, i already plug and unplug the n900 with the "epic" grinded charger and data cable for occasional charging and flashing/transfer files via PC. and still solid

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

So here's my story:

located in Texas, USA

I've had the n900 since December. Phone saw moderate use as I am an avid phone user and I was still playing around with my nexus 1 when january hit as well continued to mess around with my iphone and e75. Around beg. march..... i sold all my phones except for the iphone (strictly as backup and ipod now) and used the n900....

so the usb port saw heavy usage for about 2 months before breaking. i was aware of the usb problem so i was always careful to pull in and out straight and i depressed all the hooks on all the microusb cables/chargers i used. that morning before work, pulled out the charger and *bloop* out came the usb port too. never had wiggle problems either. called nokia.....b*tched...directed them to this thread.....b*tched some more.... and finally. they said they'll accept my phone into warranty.

nokia shipped me a brand new replacement almost immediately upon receiving my phone. turnaround time was around 6 days total (4 business days)

The Following User Says Thank You to spressa For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
I would REALLY love to know who the crank idiot of an engineer was who allowed the cad to design such a mess of a fixing for this usb port and then do nothing about it just let it be the end result.
If Nokia are relying on such engineers to allow such usb port design to pass protortype stage then it sure needs to investiate fully who they got working in their design team.

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty