Notices

Originally Posted by dubwise View Post
Which output plugin do you have configured?
I uninstalled it so I do not recall. What should I have used?

Not sure if this answers you question but I do recall installing a fixed point mp3 library. Is that what you mean or do you mean something like ESD vs OSD vs ALSA?

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
I haven't added anything to mine except the skins,
and I'm using the eSound output plug, libesdout.so.
Sounds fine.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
I'm using XMMS and loving it, minimizing it and restoring with xmmsctrl through osso-statusbar-cpu, but what's the advantage of running it through esound rather than through ALSA?

Other than the fact that with ALSA the song's time display doesn't work, and the same goes for the analyzer peaks. The equalizer works perfectly, except for .ogg audio.

edit: never mind, just tried both, and even though esound's harder on the cpu, ALSA has a galloping RAM problem.

Can you guys queue songs, as well? Is there a workaround for that?

Last edited by Onyros; 2008-02-02 at 05:07.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
I've also noticed bad quality with mad plugin (which is not the default, this was done for 770 users, lower cpu performance). I don't understand, why as mad should have same quality afaik
With all the rest, quality is the same as other players. Flac encoding is better..

The default equalizer is in the mp3 decoder and will only work for mp3 (read a few posts above). You need the additionnal eq plugin (still not packaged..), put it to 10 band. CPU usage will be high unfortunatly.. (so, for mp3, use the default one)

I also see these limitation with alsa.
So I wonder what's the advantage of using alsa (a2dp?).. initially I didn't put it for these problems.

Can you guys queue songs, as well? Is there a workaround for that?
Queueing problem you mean from external program? xmmsctrl?

Onyros, which theme is that? tell me, I'll include it in the theme package, looks good!

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Hi, there!

The skin is part of a great collection of skins - Almond, there are a few more pallettes to choose from, one of which really suits the 770 classic style, check it out.

As for queueing songs, I just meant a way of selecting a song from the playlist and putting it in the queue manager directly, without having to use x(v)kbd or something else

BTW, I'm thanking you now because I don't think I've done it here before; because of your great packaging, repo and overall availability to help! Salut!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onyros For This Useful Post:
Posts: 538 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle
Originally Posted by free View Post
I've also noticed bad quality with mad plugin (which is not the default, this was done for 770 users, lower cpu performance). I don't understand, why as mad should have same quality afaik
Just FYI, the MAD plugin also stops the built-in EQ from functioning while playing mp3's and at least on my N810 causes ~ 100% increase in CPU usage.

Originally Posted by free View Post
Onyros, which theme is that? tell me, I'll include it in the theme package, looks good!
I agree!! That's a beautiful and finger friendly theme I'd love to see that included in the package.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
I love XMMS! Thanks to all the people, I got XMMS, quite reliable A2DP, Almond Skin & the minimise workaround. (I also use fanoush's SDHC 48Hz kernel, XMMS in realtime mode (option turned on anyway) & "http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15812"
(Although, I think the blues script, does the above anyway ))

But could I please ask?

Could some more button maps be added?

Like, at the moment, arrow left & right rewind and fastforward (respectively) and up and down changes the volume.

It would be nice if the middle button on the D-Pad, paused a song and the + & - buttons at the top changed track (I love that feature from my W810).

Last edited by qwerty12; 2008-02-04 at 08:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 13 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Albuquerque
I was able to install and run XMMS on an N800 running OS2008 without any problems. I reflashed the N800 with OS2007 and am now unable to install XMMS. How can I get it installed? I think it has something to do with the repos info. I tried it with the 770 repos info and the 800/810 info and neither works.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Albuquerque
where can I get a DEB file? I am having probs with the repository for this app. I can't get it using OS 2008 now. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Onyros View Post
I'm using XMMS and loving it, minimizing it and restoring with xmmsctrl through osso-statusbar-cpu, but what's the advantage of running it through esound rather than through ALSA?
esd permits software mixing, so several applications can all play sound at once. Handy if your music is going, and you fire up the IP address reader, or some such. (Or if you're listening to music in 3 audio players at once, but most of us don't do that...)