Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by dan View Post
My hats off to Texrat because a few months ago he said in a post that he and others from nokia regularly pass our concerns up to the mothership(not direct quote)
I'm very pleased with the faster processor, graphics acceleration and hd camera(I prefer the swivel N800 camera setup). I'm really happy with cellular capabilities.
I can't take an ounce of credit for any of that, though. I think I got a few bugs fixed...

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I've argued hard against a sim slot in the past. However, as far as I'm concerned they can put whatever they want in it as long as I'm not forced to use the feature (and that's arguably true about e.g. a sim slot), provided that:
The DevSesh this morning was really pushing... all data all the time via HSPA so you should design your applications based on that. While the conic stuff will still be there there is already a push for data rich ( broadband speeds ) applications.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
Alright... I know my opinion doesn't really mean anything anymore considering that I haven't really been a part of the community since the beginning of the year and haven't held a tablet in my hands since January (yeah, still waiting on my developer's discount to... you know, work), but I'll give my opinion anyways.
Quit beating yourself up. That's your wife's job.

Seriously, Jay, your opinion will always count. You've been a huge help to the community and that doesn't evaporate simply because you're on vacation. Heck, I had big plans for jablet.net and have had no chance to act on them for some time. But hey... never say never!

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Then you don't understand the cellular game. It's not just dropping in a cellular radio and calling it a day. There are lots government regulation bodies that require extensive testing and certification, all of which costs lots of money. Then there's the software implementation, which also costs money, and carrier requirements, etc, etc, etc.

In the end, it just ends up costing you, the consumer, a lot of money.
I paid for my Nokia cellphone with prepaid card for around 30€.
I can't believe that regulations would make the next Tablet over 20€ more expensive.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
You do have a point with your Zaurus flexibility remark however I must add to this that the CF card was almost always used for WiFi (802.11a/b).
There are 802.11g CF cards which can be used in Zaurus - I have one of them.
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
IIRC only the SL6000 had on-board WiFi _and_ a free CF card, and that was Sharp's last Zaurus.
SL-6000 has on-board wifi which is a crap (can not do WPA). And with sleeve you can have 2 CF slots (also 2 batteries).

Last Zaurus was SL-3200 (terrier). The line of Zauruses is: SL-A300 (rare device), SL-5000/5500, SL-5600, c700, c750, c760/860, SL-6000 (few variants), SL-C3000, SL-C1000, SL-C3100, SL-C3200.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
The DevSesh this morning was really pushing... all data all the time via HSPA so you should design your applications based on that. While the conic stuff will still be there there is already a push for data rich ( broadband speeds ) applications.
Interesting; it would seem that the idea of using cellular as an accompanyment to context/LBS apps is something that developers are being made to look at. With an addition of a database on the local device, this could be pretty interesting for the non-broadband, yet connected anyway kinda apps and service-integration-points.

Any word at this point as to how maemo will address making documentation (for developers) and reporting bugs (for end-users) a cleaner aspect of the development process for maemo going forward?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Any word at this point as to how maemo will address making documentation (for developers) and reporting bugs (for end-users) a cleaner aspect of the development process for maemo going forward?
What exactly do you mean?

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
What exactly do you mean?
Before the rebranding, there was some talk of Bugzilla not being a friendly place to submitting issues, and it possibly seeing some retooling. Reporting bugs is one of the most important aspects of an agile development model, which is what the maemo team uses. Is that part going to address the ability to end users to seek and easily report bugs, or stay as it is for mainly developer attention?

The other fun part of agile (iterative) development is documentation. Developers have long complained about aspects of the OS not having sufficient documentation and therefore its harder to make and not break aspects of the core system when trying to extend its functionality. From my own observation of what documentation is out there, it sucks. Has or will maemo modify its efforts in this area so that developer confusion is less of an issue?

The latter question teeters on internal conversations that might not be ready for public knowledge; though at a developer convention, I would expect that some high level aspect of this would be talked about seeing that what has been spoken so far has been about vision casting and garnering more momentum for the upcoming platform advancements.

The Following User Says Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Anyone know how the next tablet will be better/different than the HTC Touch HD (apart from OS)? I just read the hardware specs today and I'm impressed. Ive been an early adopter of Nokia tablets but the HTC touch HD seems to do everything the n9x0 will, plus voice? I'll buy one of these gizmos depending on availabilty and price.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by jnack95 View Post
Anyone know how the next tablet will be better/different than the HTC Touch HD (apart from OS)? I just read the hardware specs today and I'm impressed. Ive been an early adopter of Nokia tablets but the HTC touch HD seems to do everything the n9x0 will, plus voice? I'll buy one of these gizmos depending on availabilty and price.
Way faster CPU?

Tags
job, n900