i installed the thai fonts and wondering how can i use the fonts? the fonts on my N900 does not change at all after install. where is the option that i can chanfe the font in use?
thank you...

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Originally Posted by hteink.min View Post
I couldnt find the my document folder as you mention. I am burmese and we need to install our own font .. thanks if you could help me with this. now all i can see on some of the website is boxes
Mingalaba!

Sorry--I forgot that the folder is only labeled MyDocs in the terminal. The place you want to save them, if you're using the file manager, is the the lowest-level folder, the folder where the Documents, Photos, etc. folders are.

Or just save them in the Documents folder and replace the line
Code:
mv ~/Mydocs/*.ttf ~/.fonts/
with
Code:
mv ~/Mydocs/.documents/*.ttf ~/.fonts/
in the instructions above.

The Following User Says Thank You to baksiidaa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Seattle, WA
Originally Posted by iceman600 View Post
i installed the thai fonts and wondering how can i use the fonts? the fonts on my N900 does not change at all after install. where is the option that i can chanfe the font in use?
thank you...
Umm . . . what do you mean by "the fonts on my N900 does not change at all after install"? Are Thai websites still not working, or were you expecting the UI (user interface) to be in Thai? The Thai fonts package only installs the fonts, it doesn't install a Thai UI.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
I was wondering about this, guess its pretty the same as desktop Linux. Thanks anyway

Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
Mingalaba!

Sorry--I forgot that the folder is only labeled MyDocs in the terminal. The place you want to save them, if you're using the file manager, is the the lowest-level folder, the folder where the Documents, Photos, etc. folders are.

Or just save them in the Documents folder and replace the line
Code:
mv ~/Mydocs/*.ttf ~/.fonts/
with
Code:
mv ~/Mydocs/.documents/*.ttf ~/.fonts/
in the instructions above.

Mingalabar.. Nay Kaung Lar? hhaa ;p

I did this (mkdir ~/.fonts) (Terminal Said File exits)
However when I give this comment
(mv ~/Mydocs/.documents/*.ttf ~/.fonts/ )
It said '/home/user/.fonts: No such file or directory .. Now I have no idea why.. and what went wrong ..

Thank you

The following will also work:

Code:
sudo gainroot
mv font.tff /usr/share/fonts
fc-cache -f -v
Then restart the device. (A restart may not be required depending on the application, but in my case I was installing ProFont to use as an xterm font).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Webbie For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I've noticed that Webbie's way is the only way to get system apps like the Terminal to recognise your fonts. There's very little room there, however, so only put one or two fonts there. Most of your "fancy" fonts should go in the .fonts directory.

If you're having a hard time typing ~ you can also replace it with /home/user it just takes longer to type...

Of course, option C is to symlink to /usr/share/fonts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Webbie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
can you set a custom font for all the menus in general?
what if you set a messed up font with "broken" characters?

Hi,

1. I downloaded a font 'latha.ttf' for viewing tamil fonts in the browser.
2. As advised, I created a directory mkdir ~/.fonts which went through fine.
3. Later when I tried moving the font using the follow command mv ~/MyDocs/.Documents/*.ttf ~/,fonts/ it gave me the following message mv: cannot preserve ownership of '/home/user/.fonts/users2n&name=latha.ttf':Operation not permitted

Any idea where I am going wrong?