this is great, worked perfectly.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
...naming the new folder stuff...
Just to be sure, did you name the folder "stuff" or "Stuff"? The system is case sensitive, so if it's "Stuff", you'll need to use:
Code:
cd /media/mmc2/Stuff

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
i dnt know why my Xterm isnt working, i saved the files to a new folder under the "internal memory" naming the new folder stuff... when i open up Xterm any type in ( cd /media/mmc2/stuff ) it say not found.

I am supose to save and not open each file right?

sorry for being such a bother...
Not a bother - I'm a complete Linux-nub myself

I'd say do this:

1) Open up File Manager
Click on the Internal memory card link in the left window.
Does Stuff show up in the list of content on the right hand side?

If it does - continue to step 3)

2) If Stuff is not listed in the right window it is most likely that you accidentally created the Stuff directory somewhere else - maybe under a different directory, etc.
You can spend some time digging around for this missing directory - or just create a new one. And since you are already in the file manager you can do that right in there by clicking >File>New Folder and create a folder on the internal memory card

3) So, we know that there is a folder on the internal memory card, at the top-level, named "Stuff" (or whatever).

4) Now launch X Terminal again

5) If you got rootsh installed run the command root

6) Your prompt should have changed to Nokia-N810-something

7) Now type in cd /media/mmc2
(note that you have to use forward-slashes (/) for it to work
ALSO note that you HAVE to put a space between the cd and the folder name

8) You should now be in the root folder of the internal memory card

9) issue the command ls -l

10) Scroll up, if needed, to ensure that you see your Stuff folder there

11) now do cd /Stuff
(and yes, it's case-sensitive so beware of that)

12) You SHOULD now be in the directory where you put the files you downloaded - so now execute the command(s) listed in the earlier posts - and do let us know how it went
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 674 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
This is a must have.

Thanks Querty12 for the patched files and Silvermountain for your How To.

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ US Air Force
Thanks So Much guy's,

IT WORKED!!!

Thanks to you both,

@sjgadsby, it was the case sensitivity. turns out I over looked the fact that when i created a new folder it automatically starts off the name in caps, but when your in Xterm it doesnt. Thanks to you too @silvermountain, i really apriciate you helping make sure i figured this out. It was also me not fully knowing what you meant by running "root" ( type root ) and making sure every word is as is typed in as posted. You would think after wining a Superior Performer award in the Air Force Honor Guard I would have a bit more attention to Detail, lol, Thanks so much guys.

Last edited by jalladin; 2009-08-01 at 06:48.

What's the story behind the maemo folks not including this option in OS2008? They'd only have to use the device themselves for 24 hours before realizing locking down the applets is a must have feature. Just one of many things about maemo that scream "the developers do not use this device/OS outside of their office."

The Following User Says Thank You to st5150 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 473 | Thanked: 141 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Virginia, USA
I finally got this to work. The problem is that the patched versions have exactly the same version numbers as the originals. Shouldn't the versions be updated or at least the release numbers? I can understand not wanting to update the version numbers, but you should be able to call them, for instance,

hildon-desktop_2.0.18-1fix1.1_armel.deb
libhildondesktop0_2.0.18-1fix1.1_armel.deb
libhildonwm0_2.0.18-1fix1.1_armel.deb

or something to differentiate them from the original debs.

But a very useful patch nonetheless. My only wish is that it would be persistent across reboots.

--vr

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
The problem is that the patched versions have exactly the same version numbers as the originals. Shouldn't the versions be updated or at least the release numbers?
Thought about other apps/libraries that have a = dependency on this package, instead of a >= dependency? :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by VulcanRidr View Post
But a very useful patch nonetheless. My only wish is that it would be persistent across reboots.
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1046 =)

I keep the version numbers the same because you would have to install the osso-rx(34/44)-software-version-unlocked package to be able to install the debs otherwise. I also do not change the section to make it possible to install in Blue Pill mode as it would show up as an update in Blue Pill mode every time which'd be an annoyance.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-08-04 at 08:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Worked great!