Active Topics

What is the typical latency that you think could make skype over 3g work well? I normally get about 380ms and I think it is on the higher side. I have tried skype over wifi and I am having good results with it.

Originally Posted by schettj View Post
It's the latency that makes voip over edge/3g a hit or miss thing. It's not bad, unless it is. I'm on tmobile and i've been able to use skype on it via the n900, but there is no question that the call quality is better over wifi.

I've had my n900 for a bit more than a week now, and it is amazing how much activity I've been seeing in just that one week! From getting PR 1.1.1 to seeing the community catch a person blowing through QA just to get his wares in the Extras repository, I can see this community's potential to do great things and govern. The only thing that can stop this beat is if my USB port detaches. To reiterate, my phone was manufactured in Korea, 51/2009.

Advantages of n900:
  • Full-blown browsing with Flash
  • FM radio (I'm using it all the time now!)
  • Google Contacts and Calendar synchronization via Mail for Exchange (it works, although it took a couple tries for the first sync)
  • Tight integration of Skype, which serves as my basis in an attempt to go all-VoIP.
  • Easy method to merge contacts

Possible improvements:
  • Have option to wipe device after x invalid password entries in a row.
  • Voice dialing
  • Full-blown Ovi maps!

By the way, for those of you looking to get an InvisibleSHIELD for the screen, the installation procedure is worthless. Here is my procedure (which yielded better results):
  1. Turn off n900, disconnect the power source, and remove the battery.
  2. Wash hands with soap and water.
  3. Ensure the n900's screen is completely clean. I used a lens brush and KimWipes.
  4. Open tap to a slow, but steady, stream.
  5. Peel InvisibleSHIELD off backing.
  6. Put the back of the InvisibleSHIELD to the stream of water
  7. Apply a very small amount of hand soap to InvisibleSHIELD. The goal is to make the back slick.
  8. Dry the InvisibleSHIELD just enough to have no drops of water, but is still slick.
  9. Apply InvisibleSHIELD to the n900's screen and align it to your liking.
  10. While holding InvisibleSHIELD in place, squeegee out excessive water. I recommend starting at the earpiece and working towards the right end of the device.
  11. After five to ten minutes of drying, you can reapply power to the n900.

Going all-VoIP has been something I've envisioned as soon as I got my first PDA phone about three years ago. It is becoming more and more feasible, and I am glad that I have an opportunity to make the jump along with some of you all. I will be ordering up the data-only SIM card on Friday, and I will continue to keep this thread updated with my progress. Just as a shameless plug, I will be riding 31 miles (a bit less than 50 km) in support of the American Diabetes Association on May 16. Your support would be much appreciated. The link is in my signature.

By the way, could a mod rename this thread to something about my experiment to go all-VoIP? I will be keeping you all updated throughout with results.

Last edited by cyeung; 2010-02-22 at 01:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to cyeung For This Useful Post:
Any new updates on your experience with the n900?

I have absolutely no problem with email. Setting up my pop and smtp account was simple and I get my mails automatically when I am on the road. Skype works too, although I wouldn't want to have to depend on it for all of my calls.

Just out of curiosity, were the results from this test good?