When has Intel ever executed on software successfully?

Posts: 48 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ United Kingdon
Originally Posted by gemi View Post
Let's see:

In 4 months, Nokia will present the N950 running MeeGo, the N900 is officially discontinued and unsupported (which it has been de facto for 4 months). The N950 will be touted as the new flagship, but its software will be unfinished and missing several crucial features, but you will be able to make phone calls.

In 8 months, Nokia will announce with fanfare the great news that they have concluded a partnership with AMD to develop a mobile software called LetsGo (based on an previous attempt called MeeGo).

In 20 months, Nokia will show the N980 running LetsGo, the N950 is officially discontinued and unsupported (which it has been de facto for 4 months). The N980 will be touted as the new flagship, but its software will be unfinished and missing several crucial features, you will not be able to make phonecalls, but you will be able to listen to music.

In 16 months, Nokia will announce with fanfare the great news that they have concluded a partnership with Lego to develop a mobile software called NoGo (based on an previous attempt called LetsGo).

In 18 months, Nokia will show the N980.5 running NoGo, the N980 is officially discontinued and unsupported (which it has been de facto for 4 months). The N980.5 will be touted as the new flagship, but its software will be unfinished and missing several crucial features, you will not be able to make phonecalls, you will not be able to listen to music, but you will be able to boot it.

etc.
May as well sell your N900 now if you think thats the case. Lets face it the n900 has only just become available in most places on contract. It would be a PR disaster for Nokia to dump a 'Flagship' phone after a few months, they normally bang out updates etc for 18 months on average before slowing support patches etc.

I cant see that happening personally but you never know.

For the TMO folk too.. Just analyzing the news..

"Many devices" - Tablets, cars, phones, televisions:
* Different screen sizes require different UI designs, and often more.
* On small mobile devices energy consumption is more acute problem than on tablet, tv or car. Software originating from other device family might suck phone battery dry..
* The devices won't have the same input devices, there might be devices without any touch screen or hardware keys.
* Software for one device can not be guaranteed to be ok on another device. What will the QA be like, can there even be a single QA? It it hard to develop for a device which one does not have. Additionally, who even cares about some devices they do not have?
* GTK and QT need to learn to live together even better than before.
* Single software stack will help to convince developers seeking a market.
* Ovi Store and Intel AppUp Center, already two separate places for software, what if one more store comes out? How about Repositories?
* Will I be able to move my DRM'd programs and files from Nokia MeeBoo to Intel MeeToo?
* MeeGo GTK will not not compute on S60.

=> code once, use every does not apply? Will it be necessary to port software from MeeGo to MeeGo to get it work on different devices? How these internal boundaries will be defined and made secure?

Two corporations make better cake than one?
* Does moblin really have "community" or just paid drones? Moblin-dev, the only mailing list they have had 3 mails today, yesterday 1, last friday 1. Didn't bother to check the irc channel.
* It might be more natural for maemo to swallow moblin, but it seems that as there is two corporation in helm, a third instance has to be created. (MeeGo even has a dictator duo, that is one "benovolent dictator" per company)
* How much there will be "design by commitee"?
* MeeGo, is it distribution or a platform? Add a lot of old software components and few new software components.. rpm faq entry on packaging sound more like a distribution than platform.
* Where is the nice and soft .org? Corporations say, community follows?

p.s. "Meego is a short-lived American science fiction sitcom... 1997... was canceled half way through its first season."

The Following User Says Thank You to VRe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by jak View Post
This is non-sense, you can easily add an XSBC-License field to debian/control with a license name. Or you could use dep.debian.net/deps/dep5/ for debian/copyright files and index them.
I agree in doubting that any technical advantage one way or the other had anything to do with this decision. But, since RPM is the package format that the Linux Standard Base endorses, this make sense.

http://www.linuxfoundation.org/colla...workgroups/lsb

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
STOP SPREADING PESSIMISTIC RUMORS

Folks -

There is enough pessimism to go around with the actual hardware and "current" usability. Do not add your pessimism to this based on what you think the future is. Ain't helping anyone. If you have time to kill, please do so constructively by making people enjoy what they have and help trying to overcome some of the issues they are facing.

As a side note - Oistano (VP, Nokia) specifically said Meego will come to N900. link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2359259,00.asp

Last edited by flydeep; 2010-02-15 at 18:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flydeep For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by flydeep View Post
STOP SPREADING PESSIMISTIC RUMORS
As a side note - Ositano specifically said Meego will come to N900. link: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2359259,00.asp
The way I interpret it is "devices LIKE the N900", which may not include the N900 itself.

I am a pessimist by nature, and the way Nokia handled the N900 so far does not given much ground for optimism.

The Following User Says Thank You to gemi For This Useful Post:
Oistano pointed to Nokia's N900, a Linux-based smartphone introduced last year, as an example of devices that would benefit from MeeGo. The N9000 features a 3.5-inch touch screen, a full QWERTY keyboard, four customizable home screens, and Adobe Flash 9.4 support within the N900 Web browser.
to be a bit of a pedant about that, he didn't specifically say that the N900 would get Meego, he said it would benefit from Meego. not really the same thing,

Noob here. I am just about to head off to work and i stumble upon this ameego fellow. Firstly will this run on my n900 that i just bought not so long ago. Secondly does this mean that there wont be any ovi store with paid apps or anymore development for this device? Tell me quick before the rest of New Zealand wakes up and I can sell this thing.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
My 2 cents is I think this is a good move by Nokia. It will make the OS much more credible.

The first MeeGo release is expected in the second quarter of 2010, with new devices coming next year.

new divices in 2011 and in the second quarter of 2010 what? ther'is only N900 now... i hope

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war