Here's what I wrote in lament, *January 22, 2008*, in regards to the N770:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...058#post132058

Sound familiar? Here's the full thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=15234

There are similar threads for the N800 and N810...

No officially supported versions means "HE", Hacker Editions. How well does that work to keep the device relevant? How many people post to the N770 Talk forum these days?

Oh, the Pentium II 350 Mhz computer that I mentioned in my post? It's running openSuSE 11.2, the latest release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The idea was to address the persistent question about MeeGo and/or MeeGo-Harmattan official updates from Nokia for the N900. Another approach would have been just to wait for the MeeGo-Harmattan announcement, a logical spot to explain the N900 support plans. Any day scratched from that deadline indicates (at least to me) more transparency from Nokia to N900 potential and actual customers. This extra time is also useful for the MeeGo-Harmattan community edition effort.
I have a question about the bold.

I'm debating with myself if this is the right thread, or the one specifically dedicated to this Hybrid-edition MeeGo.

You determined a couple pages back we would use:
MeeGo-Harmattan - deb-based, QT/MeeGo API compat system coming from Nokia.
MeeGo - the Open Source Linux Foundation OS, RPM based.

So; when you say MeeGo-Harmattan CE.. are we talking deb based? A port directly from what sources we do get from Nokia when more software is released?

Or, is MeeGo-Harmattan CE actually MeeGo (rpm-based), with MeeGo-Harmattan UI/UX pieces/components/whatever gets opened to use repackaged and stacked on top?

I guess, in line with Texrat before, I'm trying to further clarify what exactly is the meaning of "MHCE" .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Does it make sense in comparing the NIT and the Computer in terms of the OS upgrades and the hardware that goes along with it?

Originally Posted by Vinh View Post
How many people post to the N770 Talk forum these days?
But that's because people moved on the newer devices. The only way a device can truly die is if people move on from it. Even if the n900 gets MeeGo-Harmattan, people will still move to the new and shiny.

Look at android for example. The Droid will get 2.2 but I've heard a lot of Droid owners say they'll be getting the EVO 4g. The Nexus One is getting Froyo first but isn't stopping people from ditching it when the Dell Streak comes out

The only reason you are still using your pentium II is because you are attached to it and have chosen to not move on. But most people from that era have. There's still support but you don't see a pentium II enthusiasts forum anywhere

Last edited by nosa101; 2010-05-26 at 06:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to nosa101 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
Does it make sense in comparing the NIT and the Computer in terms of the OS upgrades and the hardware that goes along with it?
Sure, why not? The OS is open source, isn't it? Just like on the N800, N810 and N900... People have said that since it's open source, it'll always have a upgrade path, right?

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Well... this "no official Meego on the N900" pretty much made me decide to move on from the N900 as soon as I find a decent replacement.

Probably going for something running Android.

At least with Android it's safer that your device will not be "forgotten" in 6 months.

I'm really tired of promoting and even defending Nokia, the N900 and Maemo / Meego, and unless Nokia releases a Meego device that's WAAAAY better than anything else out there, the N900 will probably be my last Nokia device for a very long time.

You let me down Nokia...

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
But that's because people moved on the newer devices. The only way a device can truly die is if people move on from it. Even if the n900 gets MeeGo-Harmattan, people will still move to the new and shiny.

Look at android for example. The Droid will get 2.2 but I've heard a lot of Droid owners say they'll be getting the EVO 4g. The Nexus One is getting Froyo first but isn't stopping people from ditching it when the Dell Streak comes out

The only reason you are still using your pentium II is because you are attached to it and have chosen to not move on. But most people from that era have. There's still support but you don't see a pentium II enthusiasts forum anywhere
The point I'm trying to make again is that, many in the community keep on repeating the mantra that open source will keep the hardware up-to-date. Based on the N770, N800 and N810 experience, it just doesn't happen. As another poster said, "deja vu".

The N900, like its predecessors, for practical purposes, is closed, sad as that may be to hear. However, I truly hope there's enough expertise in the current N900 community to keep it going longer than its siblings.

Originally Posted by Vinh View Post

The N900, like its predecessors, for practical purposes, is closed, sad as that may be to hear. However, I truly hope there's enough expertise in the current N900 community to keep it going longer than its siblings.
That's the point of this thread

I suggest you ask Quim these questions especially the closed and open part

Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
Well... this "no official Meego on the N900" pretty much made me decide to move on from the N900 as soon as I find a decent replacement.

Probably going for something running Android.

At least with Android it's safer that your device will not be "forgotten" in 6 months.

I'm really tired of promoting and even defending Nokia, the N900 and Maemo / Meego, and unless Nokia releases a Meego device that's WAAAAY better than anything else out there, the N900 will probably be my last Nokia device for a very long time.

You let me down Nokia...
Look at this comment on this website

I contacted T-Mobile today (2/10/2010) and they indicated that Cliq will NOT be getting an Android 2.1 update. I called a few T-Mobile stores to confirms with and half said it was and half said it wasn't. The ones that said it wasn't said they can't update the Cliq do to an equipment problem (specifically, the indicated a lack of a dual core processor). Is anyone else getting similar info?
The Cliq is fairly new

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Qt is developed openly both for stable and unstable releases. The Qt team usually decides what platforms *they* target to stabilize and benchmark their releases but it is not their responsibility to decide when platform X will ship a new version of Qt. Also, any OS can contribute to the development of Qt supporting their own platform.

Even if the explanation sounds complex, in practice I don't see this becoming an issue. Do you have a specific concern?
The biggest specific concern is that of technologies like QML and DirectUI/Orbit, or rather, will the same situation as for Java reappear, where one has to target lowest-common denominators which are usually at that point almost semi-deprecated. Synchronized platform releases could help this.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Is it possible that an official, unique name can be given to a hybrid Maemo/MeeGo OS to distinguish it from pure instances of either?
And that one is not even on my list. Yes, let’s find a name for this before the confusion drowns the discussions about the effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser