Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Qt + Qt Mobility APIs + Qt SDK are at the peak of the MeeGo developer offering. Following the Qt development, roadmap and speed of releases there is nothing I would call low or semi-deprecated. It actually looks like fast moving to my eyes.
? The speed of development (which is excellent) is exactly what is causing the deprecation (unless there is a clear platform level strategy) - Qt development is a moving target and by the time a proper (as in, non-beta, MeeGo supporting) Qt SDK is released, Qt4.7 will be almost be upon us. And yet, if we want to write software compatible with the existing Qt compatible devices (N8, N900, probably Harmattan device) we will have to target a generic Qt4.6 version unless it is clear that there is a clear intention that the platforms of these devices intend to keep up with the upcoming Qt versions. The painful part is that QML *does* make things a lot easier so it is a real drag to do manual QPropertyAnimations when you know QML is coming/available. The intra-Qt platform specific widget frameworks and modules only aggravate this problem.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
que pena que solo se dejen llevar por el dinero.. como antes dije compre un dispositivo que vale mucho dinero para mi medio.. deberia ser capaz de actualizar a la siguiente version. pareceria que Microsoft hace mejores sistemas operativos que nokia. o los clones de las pcs son mejores disenios que un smartphone de nokia

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/releases...0-open-armv7l/

what's that? Can we install it?

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Originally Posted by HellFlyer View Post
http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/releases...0-open-armv7l/

what's that? Can we install it?
You can.. but it's just going to give you a base OS - no UI. Terminal only.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The web site of meego is very misleading. They have a large "MeeGo"on the top and a big picture of n900 under it. It is like having a web site that has with large size "WANTED" on the top, and a big picture of a man, under it, but....if you search a lot and ask you will conclude that this man is not the wanted one...

Posts: 124 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sweden
qgil:
THANKS!...
i must say that you have proven that nokia actually cares about their customers. Not many other companies/brands communicate this closely with their userbase so its unique and beautiful that so many nokia employees attend these forums on such a regular basis sharing information... Right now theres alot of anger and heat here, but i think people will cool off pretty soon... Right now it seems that people think that Messias will come for everyone who have official Meego, but you have given some key answers to why we shouldnt worry that much.
i can start to see the reason why nokia employees are involved with the "Meego for N900" project.
Its because you want to make sure that we'll get full N900 hardware support and helping out with the parts that are "closed" (drivers, phoneapps, etc) for community developers

With that in mind im not worried the least, that we'll be able to enjoy a nice Meego experience in the future on our N900's.

Actually im sad that Nokia opted for Meego... Maemo is a wonderful OS, and as long as you will nourish Maemo with new drivers, improved graphics and even more reliability, i think Maemo will finally have such a strong and powerful backbone that the community can take over when product support finally ends.
Thats what will decide what happens to Maemo. Features are always nice, but when it comes down for survival of an already advanced operating system its all about speed, reliability and hardware support (drivers!).
It will give the community a opportunity to release applications that really can bring out the fullest of the hardware you have provided us with. Right now there seems to be some graphical issues in the GUI with dropped frames and V-Sync problems. If these issues get sorted out i doubt noone will feel left out with all the possibilities we have.

No other phone is even comparably as feature-rich hardwarewise or nearly as advanced as the Maemo makes the N900 right now.

Its sad that Maemo probably will see its last days with the N900. It doesnt feel right that the Maemo team will get abandoned after so many years since it really had/have much going for it, and i can see some clear direct advantages by having both Nokia (hardware) and Maemo (software) in the same country instead of outsourcing the whole software part somewhere else. Im very thankful for Nokias and Maemos pioneering work that have provided users with the most advanced mobile experience to date!

Thanks for all your hard work!

The Following User Says Thank You to S0urcerr0r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
S0urcerr0r: thank you for your emotive post and forgive me if I answer back just with short cold answers.

Actually the main reason why a Nokia team is working in the N900 support for the MeeGo open source project is because we think the N900 is the best hardware platform available for ARM: powerful hardware, open enough for platform development and publicly available at a decent fee (free extra board thanks to dual boot if you got the device already for personal use, so to say).

Actually we are very happy about Maemo 5, and we expect to be even more happy with MeeGo. Everything the Maemo team has learned with Maemo is being put in the MeeGo project and the releases Nokia will build on top of it.

Actually the Maemo team was one day renamed MeeGo team. Same people, though.

I hope you enjoy the N900, Maemo 5 and MeeGo just as we do!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Where does Ofono fit in?

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Where does Ofono fit in?
It fits in MeeGo. Or what is the question?

so am I rght in thinking that all us n900 owners have effectivly just paid to take part in an experimnt? I know how business works and wouldn't be supprised if Maemo was only ever planned for one device purly in order to pave the way for Meego. Nokia you have made a mistake by treating your premium customers like this (again). Unfortunatly for you the iPhone 4g is going to smack Meegos sorry ***. If I were you i'd ditch it and produce something truly game changing while you can. Apple now have music and apps and style locked down to a point where you will never beat them. Time to think outside the box boys!

Tags
dejavu, egocentric, premonition, wegot1newloser