Actually, Fennec isn't really all that sluggish, at least when you look at the older nightlys... http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...key-maemo5-qt/ Has a good example of a browser that's actually on par if not faster than microB.

Could you guys take a look at it? It not too sure what the mozilla team did wrong, but they did mess up somewhere along the line... If you compare this one with the newer builds, it's smoking fast... Not sure where to get the source, though.

I did once try to get volunteers to test other fennec builds... Not much help, there. There's this guy over at the mozilla team, mbrubeck, who seemed happy, willing and motivated to collaborate with others to solve fennec's issues, should anyone want to help in that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
And what about backporting the web browser from Harmattan? Is it completely open source? Seems very nice.

Bumping this topic, this subject is still worth going over.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to number41 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by number41 View Post
Actually, Fennec isn't really all that sluggish, at least when you look at the older nightlys... http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...key-maemo5-qt/ Has a good example of a browser that's actually on par if not faster than microB.

Could you guys take a look at it? It not too sure what the mozilla team did wrong, but they did mess up somewhere along the line... If you compare this one with the newer builds, it's smoking fast... Not sure where to get the source, though.

I did once try to get volunteers to test other fennec builds... Not much help, there. There's this guy over at the mozilla team, mbrubeck, who seemed happy, willing and motivated to collaborate with others to solve fennec's issues, should anyone want to help in that.
Is the Build you posted in this link stable to use? In other words, will it mess my phone up? I really wanna try it out.

it's fairly stable, but for me doesn't start correctly from menu, but runs completely fine from xterm.(just type fennec)

when started ui shows up after ~5 seconds, becomes responsive after 8-10 seconds.
kinetic scrolling works fine, doesn't lag for normal use, but if you scroll too much, page will take ~100-300 ms to redraw.

much more usable than recent builds, but still microB is faster !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivyking For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
Originally Posted by number41 View Post

well I've always thought that the qt builds were much smoother than the gtk builds but looks like they have stopped development for qt

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by tcbl50 View Post
well I've always thought that the qt builds were much smoother than the gtk builds but looks like they have stopped development for qt
Not true, they're still developing qt builds, just changed the download directory, you can get them from here:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mobile/tin...ral-maemo5-qt/

latest qt nightly, 9.0-a1 is a lot faster than older versions, page load/scrolling performance is almost on par with microb/opera now

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dsawhney For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Originally Posted by dsawhney View Post
Not true, they're still developing qt builds, just changed the download directory, you can get them from here:

latest qt nightly, 9.0-a1 is a lot faster than older versions, page load/scrolling performance is almost on par with microb/opera now
It's password protected
Could anyone upload last .deb please?

EDIT: Testing it right now

Last edited by sr00t; 2011-08-20 at 20:26.

Posts: 313 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by sr00t View Post
It's password protected
Could anyone upload last .deb please?
try using http:// instead of ftp://, opera sometimes has problems with ftp links

The Following User Says Thank You to dsawhney For This Useful Post:
Posts: 190 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Accra,Ghana
Originally Posted by dsawhney View Post

thanks man. i didnt know about this. was using wrong directory