Too bad maemo apps have to be in python. If they could be in javascript we would have lots of apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to adem3311 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by adem3311 View Post
If they could be in javascript we would have lots of apps.
This is EXACTLY right. +1 to you sir. In fact, watch the Palm OS library explode as it is DEAD EASY to code an app in DOM/javascript, especially if you have useful APIs (prototype/jquery, scriptaculous, cappuccino, etc). Lower barrier to entry == more entry.

I know Nokia's working on a web-runtime, but I'm not up on the details... I'm also too lazy to look them up... I'm also hungry...

}:^)~

Last edited by Capt'n Corrupt; 2009-10-09 at 10:40.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Too bad maemo apps have to be in python. If they could be in javascript we would have lots of apps.
Where do you get the idea that Maemo apps HAVE to be writtin in Python.. or anything else, for that matter? There are and will be bindings for all sorts of languages.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
it is DEAD EASY to code an app in DOM/javascript, especially if you have useful APIs (prototype/jquery, scriptaculous, cappuccino, etc).

Javascript easy? Specially, compared to python?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Bulgaria
I don't mind Python... just making my first steps with PySide actually. But a web runtime would be a killer. I can do that with closed eyes and one hand behind the back

Last edited by Corwin_bg; 2009-10-08 at 22:07. Reason: grammar

The Following User Says Thank You to Corwin_bg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post

Javascript easy? Specially, compared to python?
I think its the fact that the browser takes care of most of the heavy lifting for you already. In that way it's a great development environment. The most important part of the layout (the DOM) is handled by the browser. You simply need position elements with HTML, and then have the javascript manipulate that. It's VERY easy to make useful programs.

Javascript is a very flexible OO-langauge that shares similarity with Ruby. It's very easy to get into, even if you are just doing procedural programming.

}:^)

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
This is EXACTLY right.
Actually, it's not, Python isn't even remotely close to being the only language on Maemo. Hell, it's not even an officially supported one.

I know Nokia's working on a web-runtime, but I'm not up on the details... I'm also too lazy to look them up... I'm also hungry...
See the presentation listed in the Summit schedule.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
You simply need position elements with HTML, and then have the javascript manipulate that.
No, you don't mean HTML then. You position the elements using a GUI, and that's where the easiness comes from.

I code HTML and Javascript by hand and I can tell Python is waaaaaay easier (and nicer!). I'd even consider C to be easier.

So, wait for a proper PySide GUI instead.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Actually, it's not, Python isn't even remotely close to being the only language on Maemo. Hell, it's not even an officially supported one.
The 'exactly right' was referring to the javascript-programming-would-yeild-many-apps portion of the quote. I'll be clearer next time to avoid confusion.

See the presentation listed in the Summit schedule.
Thanks!

}:^)~

IMO, a claim like this is evidence of the pernicious effect that locked-down phone OS's have on computing culture.

Thanks to the Maemo community for a truly open platform.

Tags
android, cyanogen, disgruntled developers, google is not evil, google v. good war, iphone, maemo, piracy