Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Rice makes no diffence. The gadget show in the UK did an article t
testing different drying methods including rice, and rice was no use. Should be kicking around, google for it.

the important thing is to remove the power source as quickly as possible, and then drying it for as long as possible in warm dry air. I recall they only tested with water so not sure about removing beer...

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
I know with PC keyboards, the best advice is to actually rinse it under warm clean water as it is the sugars in the drinks that do the damage. Once clean, then do the drying process, in the airing cupboard/hot press/whatever you want to call it, for at least a few days, preferably a week or so.

With a phone/laptop etc, this is OBVIOUSLY with any power source removed, and you need to remove that battery as QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE after the initial liquid event.

Fortunately I have never had to try this myself! YMMV!

John

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by santiago View Post
water? are u serius? he gotta use distilled water ( i mean pure water with no minerals inside)
any of above
as long as its cleaned out.. and dried up before turning it on again..
it only ****s up if water is left.. otherwise its all good..

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by fahadj2003 View Post
any of above
as long as its cleaned out.. and dried up before turning it on again..
it only ****s up if water is left.. otherwise its all good..
Nononononononono. The minerals do the damage when they're soaked up by the silicon. Do not use tap water. Get distilled water, or even better, 100% ethanol.

Better to spend $10 more rather than replace a $400 device.

thanks for the advice guys/gals/sentient robots:

- The second i noticed the spillage the first thing i did was remove battery and let it dry out naturally and witha bit of help from the hotel heating. No kit on hand at the time to do much else. But there was definetly no moisture left by the time i turned it on, pretty sure it fried the radio side of things or something important before i got to it.

id love to dissasemble it and sort it myself with ethanol, if not only to get it sorted quicker but for my love breaking down my gadgets and fixing them myself.

however since i paid for the insurance i figure im better off trying to get a new n900 so i sent it off .

There have been occasions where whilst delicately dissasembling things (especially those without dissasembly guides available) i have caused minor damage tbh and id rather not risk that.

for now im back to a HORRIBLE old HTC Trinity Win Mo Device, when my beloved n900 returns i will celebrate by burning this thing!

Last edited by mrexcess; 2011-05-26 at 11:59.

no economic repair possible, suppose thats good news in a way cos i might get a new one.

theyre trying to get me to take either:
BB Bold
HTC Desire Z
Galaxy S
and some other tat by sony erricson.

i said ill take any other phone with maemo on it

then explained what that means and theyre trying to source me an n900 again ... i miss my baby

got my baby back 2 days ago and its almost fully set up, sooo much to install and configure but im like a pig in sh**

trying to get hold of some thermite so i can dispatch of my old HTC Trinity apropriately

Got a brand new one in the end, but i did have to fight to get an n900 at all so it looks like supplies are running short.

The Following User Says Thank You to mrexcess For This Useful Post:

Tags
drunk n900 :(