Posts: 63 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by garyc2010 View Post
Know how you feel buddy

Everyone here is looking forward to meego, but what I see happening next year is Nokia abandoning meego and going android.
Nope. won't happen. Great and really cool things are on the horizon. and it doesn't include android.

Android is maturing nicely, while meego is due for release q3 2010 ???, currently android has 30,000 apps and prob at least another 10,000 by the time meego is released. Nokia is chasing its on tail while the mobile world rapidly moves forward without it.
That may be what it appears to you. But appearances are deceiving

The way nokia has handled the n900 saga illustrates a company that has lost its direction, android has a gameplan and a product to back it up, nokia has neither. Meego may live on in the backwater of the mobile world, but for me Apple OS and Android will be the gorillas.
Nokia has lots of gameplans and products. It still sells the most phones in the world.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lpotter For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
And what is the product from this well spent time?
The product is in process.

Originally Posted by YoDude
Couldn't more energy be put into maemo.org now!
The two are not mutually exclusive. Indeed, one natural goal is to push for as much commonality as possible.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Now I'm going to be blunt. Some of the posts lammenting Nokia's apparent abandonment of this community are from people who, other than posting in this thread, have pretty much already abandoned this community.

Ironical ain't it?
Not near as ironic as it is self-fulfilling.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-06-21 at 02:22.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
So... is there where I ask "what's next"?

I'm seriously... confused as to what is next. Will Nokia retroactively - as a show of some faith - open up some bits so we can place a plain vanilla linux kernel on our N8x0 or 770's?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
Will something like Easy Debian be allowed or even encouraged on the next device?
It's way off topic but yes, Easy Debian will probably be around for both "real" MeeGo and Maemo 6 MeeGo Harmattan. MeeGo and Harmattan have a lot in common with current Debian releases, and should work fine, as should Ubuntu...

And no, Easy Debian has never been "encouraged". That would have taken all the fun out of it!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
So... is there where I ask "what's next"?

I'm seriously... confused as to what is next. Will Nokia retroactively - as a show of some faith - open up some bits so we can place a plain vanilla linux kernel on our N8x0 or 770's?
That's a weird question, since MeeGo kernel is plain vanilla + very few patches and that works on top of 2.6.33. I've personally done some work to get the gpsdriver working decently on top of it. And I think Termana tested the kernels under Diablo and UI kept on working..

From that side on, I think it's been about telling what components are failing under later kernels so we could look into fixes. Biggest so far has been gpsdriver which used the serial access in a weird way.

770, don't know :/
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I have to wonder what will happen when we end in a setup where all the system apps directly use underlying APIs, each with its own set of quirks, while all the third party apps are suggested to use the extra abstraction layer in order to keep source compatibility.

Example: native calendar application APIs:
MeeGoTouch -- KCal (possibly?)
MeeGoNetbook -- Evolution
Maemo5 -- calendar-backend

Will Nokia succeed in unifying all of those under a Qt Mobility "Calendar" API? Will it be encompassing enough and at the same time stable and consistent, so that most developers do not feel compelled to use the native APIs to get more features/avoid bugs?
Dince you ask, javispedro and other developer with real concrete questions like this one: it is more useful to wonder and ask at the places where the related developers can be found.

Qt Calendar API appears as planned for 2H 2010 - http://qt.nokia.com/developer/qt-roadmap/ . meego-dev is a good list to ask and discuss about the availability of this API in MeeGo, current development status, maintainers, plans to support this API in Maemo 5...

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Just read this blog
http://www.arcticstartup.com/2010/06...-can-win-again
And it covers in a way meego/maemo and has interesting comments.

Sorry if itīs too off topic for this thread. Didn't want to make another thread

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
- Nokia's willingness to burn early adopters
- MeeGo leaning far more corporate than community
In other words, you are referring to the jump of the Maemo contributors to the MeeGo project, right? Guys, the Maemo project would not be what it is without all the passion and brain you have put in this project. And MeeGo will not be as successful without you. If you still believe that the future relies in an open platform rooted in the Linux & free desktop communities the MeeGo project needs YOU.
Gotta admire... your corporate position at Nokia has at least helped you grow a pair made of steel!

And maybe you've started to master the Nordic art of sarcasm as well!

Good on ya!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
That's a weird question, since MeeGo kernel is plain vanilla + very few patches and that works on top of 2.6.33. I've personally done some work to get the gpsdriver working decently on top of it. And I think Termana tested the kernels under Diablo and UI kept on working..

From that side on, I think it's been about telling what components are failing under later kernels so we could look into fixes. Biggest so far has been gpsdriver which used the serial access in a weird way.
By this post, there are three things that I see in the post that raise my concerns - something that an official document of what that method does and does not allow for continued work on the system.

GPS Driver doesn't work yet. That's actually somewhat important to me.

What about wi-fi and battery/power management?

What is the method to accomplish the above - let's say I have intermediate Linux skills. This isn't something that I can find in one place on how to do. I don't think it's impossible, I just would like a rather comprehensive step-by-step if possible.

That last step... that's what concerns me about a possible community based anything. Total lack of documentation. Some users - myself inclusive - need some hand-holding. We got that with the manner to flash our devices. They do some of the heavy-lifting for us.

The community based offerings don't automate a lot of things, nor does all of it work correctly either. And ultimately, it probably will not work within the same parameters as Maemo 4.1 on the N8x0 - meaning people will perceive lag, slowness, lack of certain apps, options or... whatever.

And that is ultimately a problem. For an open source device, we're real dependent upon the closed bits to continue to work. Or worse... we have to replace them with lesser functioning options that do not give us more options but really are used to cover up what bits aren't opened up yet, if ever. Qwerty12 has listed out a few times the parts he's battled with in that regard a couple of times.

So consider that a misstep... the lack of legacy device support from Nokia - open up all of the damn bits already, it's 2+ years old, if not more (I know, I know... it won't happen, but doesn't mean I can't vocalize that) - and assist others with a true method that can be utilized by the casual user to the advanced user.

Glad to know experiments are still ongoing on your desk. Too bad I'm not aware of all of what is and importantly, what isn't working with the alternatives.

Ultimately I'd love an OS on my N810 that is updated, streamlined, takes advantage of the older chipset/CPU and works more efficiently than even Maemo 4.1. Android, EasyDebian, Mer... they all just don't seem like optimized, efficient options 100% to me; despite being options that actually do work, I don't see them as much of an option as I do see them as a hack.

And no, I'll be realistic, I don't see my N810 becoming an N900 overnight. I just would love to be able to see an option that runs under less RAM, less processes, and works with the key things I need.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
If you still believe that the future relies in an open platform rooted in the Linux & free desktop communities the MeeGo project needs YOU.
Suggestion: Maybe you (the MeeGo Project) shouldn't make it so hard for others to join?

Tags
misstep, nokia