Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Humm, I can see some pros but a lot of cons as well. I'm against a paid position as least for now, since I strongly believe that the community can take care of testing and this money can be spent in other things that we can't do. We already proved that with a broken system and disorganized testing .
Just a suggestion, wasn't trying to make an agenda out of the 'paid' aspect of the thing (in fact, that's the least important aspect, responded to it as you mentioned it explicitly).

A paid person will scare away a lot of the current testers.
Why ? (out of curiosity, I don't see why being paid would make any difference if the level of authority is the same). Just trying to understand problems to refine the idea.

As for rotating the QAmaster among the testing team, well the proposal includes something similar, but of course that person doesn't have total control, when we have a group of capable persons why put all the responsibility in just one person ?
I wanted to avoid it being an overburdened position that results in tester fatigue in the end. I see the tester admin or QAmaster position being more of a 'grease' kind (exercising authority only on testing errors or resolving a status quo), rather than a heavy-batted, control-oriented one. If we DO have a group of people who can (on the long run) predictably dedicate an amount of their time and are capable to do this - all the better !

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Just thinking..

I'd like to have diff -y view of the project changes and LOC for changeset size. This could be against the last accepted package or the first one put in the testing queue if there is no previous package in extras. This way the changes could be verified (their size and what they are). This could be helpful in two cases:

1) Package in extras, a new version is submitted to extras. Large changes (+new features) -> more testing, small changes -> less testing. Concentrate on what has changed.

2) Package is in testing queue, the maintainer updates the software. Changes can be verified to be small -> no need to reset all test cases to zero.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VRe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Why ? (out of curiosity, I don't see why being paid would make any difference if the level of authority is the same). Just trying to understand problems to refine the idea.
In the perfect world it shouldn't make any difference, but I've seen voluntary/collaborative 'jobs' turned in paid jobs. When someone has the obligation to do something a large number of people will step away for that, that's in our nature. Of course if the paid person is a good leader, he will minimize the damages and probably can still get a lot of help for his tasks.

I wanted to avoid it being an overburdened position that results in tester fatigue in the end. I see the tester admin or QAmaster position being more of a 'grease' kind (exercising authority only on testing errors or resolving a status quo), rather than a heavy-batted, control-oriented one. If we DO have a group of people who can (on the long run) predictably dedicate an amount of their time and are capable to do this - all the better !
Agree with your points.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 268 | Thanked: 304 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Orlando, USA
Fully agree. Having a group of dedicated admins is a good thing to start things off. Who knows, maybe down the road, a paid position would be warranted.

The Testing concept was created by the community and having apps piling up in the queue simply looks bad on maemo.org and discourages developers.

The admins could become the de facto point men for testing related help/questions and perhaps well-positioned for "recruiting"/"mentoring" testers. All that is required is a group of dedicated individuals.

The Following User Says Thank You to archebyte For This Useful Post:
Group created: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/testingsquad/

We're looking for committed members for the testing squad that can spend some time testing stuff, and also leading the testing squad in some weeks(that would be easy ). Feel free to request membership at garage.

Those that doesn't feel ready or without enough skills, please keep following the group activities and doing some testing in the easier areas.

More news soon.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Those that doesn't feel ready or without enough skills, please keep following the group activities and doing some testing in the easier areas.
By skills, do you mean the ability to identify a solution to the problem (i.e. looking through the code)? Or simply knowing what to do when encountering a bug (reporting, etc.)?

Also, I think that somewhere along the road, we should have a mandatory revision of app descriptions (solution #9: http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ll_basket-002/), as it would help the newcomers (because Maemo 5 and beyond is supposed to target a larger audience) who are unfamiliar with the said app.

I'm not trying to tarnish developer's reputations (I'm definitely in no position to do such a thing), as they clearly worked hard on their respective projects, but rather to benefit the end-user.

Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
I would even go so far that the Admins should post a list of the apps that should be tested now. Critical updates would get priority and for the rest there could be a simple FIFO (first in, first out) procedure.
Going along with benefiting the end user, I second this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xomm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Got to say great idea !!!

I have noticed the App's section is getting faster at releasing stable updates and fresh apps.

Nice work

Originally Posted by xomm View Post
By skills, do you mean the ability to identify a solution to the problem (i.e. looking through the code)? Or simply knowing what to do when encountering a bug (reporting, etc.)?
For the first option would be very difficult to encounter candidates, we've lot of distinct software built with difference languages and tools.

What I mean, is the skills to test some (or all) of the testing points[1], and as you said, the ability to report any issues encountered. Is not a hard task

[1] - http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-testing/QA_Checklist

I'm not an expert on programming or Maemo but I want to help to improve the apps. How is the process? Some administrator will indicate the apss that I'll test?

Excuse me the poor English...

Originally Posted by pabloresende View Post
I'm not an expert on programming or Maemo but I want to help to improve the apps. How is the process? Some administrator will indicate the apss that I'll test?

Excuse me the poor English...
Yes, we'll publish a list of apps each week, more news soon.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:

Tags
extras, squad, testing