Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
What exactly are you saying?
That Nokia PR is ******** and the whole world can see through it. That what we got today is not MeeGo, not NIT, hell, not even Nokia. It is but a stepping stone to WP7. This should have been a Symbian or WP7 phone, period.

My apologies to all the good people that worked on the N9 and MeeGo UI, my rant has nothing to do with you guys (or the phone, for that matter - I just wanted an NIT and not an iPhone clone), but with management decisions.

I'm just feeling disruptive today.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Sorry to interrupt this lovely exchange but a few questions I havent seen answered clearly in this thread. Any help is appreciated.

- Why does this need a microsim? is it because its so thin? S2 is thinner and has a full size SIM and an SD slot.

- How does one close apps? (hold...and then press x as someone said earlier? if so thats ridiculous. Why take away the X's on the right hand corner of running apps).

- I see Ovi store/Experience mentioned all over the website. Ovi is dead. Isnt it? Any chance intel's AppUp store will be used?

Thank you

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
I'am waiting for my Asus transformer though.
i hope i am not pissing in your pint, but; we just got one for work and its nice enough, but i wouldn't want one myself.

the default video player has a shocking low number of supported codecs/containers, and the free player apps don't appear to use the decode hardware, so even though they have better format support they lag on high-bitrate video and lose the audio when it all gets too much.

fundamentally, the tegra 2 SoC was designed for phone sized devices pushing qHD screens maximum, it struggles on 1280x800.

So the hardware wasn't THAT big deal after all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6hienXEd0Y
Of course its reassuring to have expensive Android phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mobilesynthesist For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
- I see Ovi store/Experience mentioned all over the website. Ovi is dead. Isnt it? Any chance intel's AppUp store will be used?

Thank you
OVI brand is dead yes. It will change to Nokia store, Nokia maps etc.
Dunno why they are talking about OVI store as thought the brand change was already active as WP nears closer and gets it's own Nokia store.

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
i hope i am not pissing in your pint, but; we just got one for work and its nice enough, but i wouldn't want one myself.

the default video player has a shocking low number of supported codecs/containers, and the free player apps don't appear to use the decode hardware, so even though they have better format support they lag on high-bitrate video and lose the audio when it all gets too much.

fundamentally, the tegra 2 SoC was designed for phone sized devices pushing qHD screens maximum, it struggles on 1280x800.

Yeah i know the problems that Tegra 2 brings with the shockingly bad video playback. I already got ipad 2 so i'm kind on the edge if i will cancel the order. It's very possible that i need to wait for the next wave of 3.x tablets with some love to other SOC's.
Just feeling dirty with so many Apple products.

Last edited by tissot; 2011-06-21 at 22:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
- How does one close apps? (hold...and then press x as someone said earlier? if so thats ridiculous. Why take away the X's on the right hand corner of running apps).
Yes, yes, I don't know. Wait for PR1.1 /sarcasm

I heard it will be now called the Nokia Store, but I assume you'll be able to use other ones as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatokosi For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Tell me, what is it about this device that you like?
It is a perfect design. It is a perfect balance of HW, UI, materials and looks. The price will also be perfect I am told. Further, the OS is cool, it is Nokia, the Swipe paradigm is ingenious in its simplicity and powerful functionality. The materials makes it unbreakable (relatively speaking). It is the culmination of Nokias effort in making an OS and an UX that is advanced, open and intuitive. I am overly impressed, I seriously started to doubt Nokia, but they have really done it this time. I had hoped for U8500 and keyboard, but after seeing and reading about this device, I really don't care.

All in all, it is a true masterpiece in engineering (software and hardware) and in design, nothing less. Suddenly Android and iOS looks old and sedate.

xterm in Harmattan Beta SDK:

Name:  hxterm.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  16.9 KB

Now for my double-edged virtual keyboard...

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but it might be very hard to do that without a major reworking because the UI software is closed source.
As far as I know atleast some of the UI is opensource? I have already take a look at the SDK and qt-components seems to be LGPL. However I am not sure if all UI is open, we should ask qmgil about this, but I am sure there will be a "community edition" of the device same way as N900 CE.

Different story with some of the apps ofcourse.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by PradaBrada View Post
battery life is still to be seen on this, they all last a day

Worse multitasking? What you mean the 1 second wait to switch apps is worth waiting a year for swiping screens? You must be joking

1.2GHz ARM Cortex-A9 proccessor, Mali-400MP GPU, Orion chipset vs 1GHz Cortex-A8...

Camera may be the only real point this thing has, but it pales in comparison to pretty much any budget camera.

960x540 SLCD and 800x480 Super AMOLED both sound superior to 854x480 AMOLED and are available right now.

Flash 10.3 and 100.000+ apps in Android Market vs Ovi Store... don't even get me started on that abomination

By the time N9 gets released the Tegra 3 Kal-El phones will be taking a hot steamy dump on its face. And I haven't even mentioned iPhone 5 yet. Nokia is still failing, hopefully the Windows Phones are better
Obsession with spects, when N9 beats them not just what is under the hood, but HOW it delivers. You want some cheap android build phone go for it

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????