Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by vitaly_repin View Post
Sure.
I am going to ask to configure it in the way shown in the post #33 and check how N900 client will behave.
I have done it. Checked with Exchange server 2007. If "Allow non-provisionable devices" is not set in the options, then N900 MfE client fails to connect to the server. It shows error message during initial sync.

If I turn this option on, N900 MfE syncs with the server as usually.
Attached Images

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Funland
N900 is on top of my list for "my first smartphone or mobile computer with phone application". Preparing its arrival I have read forum threads, watched youtube videos and web reviews. I'm convinced, Maemo+N900 rocks.

BUT I read following tidbit from one reviews comments:

----quote starts---
Most corp email admins set a policy on their Exchange server, traditionally this is to enforce a device password to protect the confidential info in the email which is being piped to the device. Although the n900 has a qwerty, the device lock capability only supports numeric passwords (like most other Nokia devices with the exception of n97's and eSeries). This is a real issue for anyone whos IT Admin enforces a alphanumeric password from the Exchange server - You simply cannot get you corp email (or calendar / contacts) sync'd to this device.

In short, the n900 only supports Exchange sync if the IT Admin lowers the policy enforcement which has worked quite happily for iPhone and Window Mobile since the beginning.....
----quote ends----

I cannot go to IT and ask, since they officially support only Winmos ...

So, In case Corporate Exchange server ,that I use, has alphanumeric password policy, I wanted to double-check that the above info is correct.

And if it is. Is "the device lock app" Nokia propriatory code or part of the open part of the Fremantle? I mean can it be hacked to support alphanumeric or do I need to wait Nokia to patch that support.

And if this asked and aswered, I'm sorry but "N900 and lock" gave way too many hits to crawl through.

there is a thread called poor mail for exchange support, which already discussed. sorry that i cant send link posting from my moby.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
there is a thread called poor mail for exchange support, which already discussed. sorry that i cant send link posting from my moby.
This thread, I think, and the view seems to be that Maemo doesn't implement this particular mis-feature of refusing to do what the user tells it, so you should be fine.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
I have done it. Checked with Exchange server 2007. If "Allow non-provisionable devices" is not set in the options, then N900 MfE client fails to connect to the server. It shows error message during initial sync.

Thank you for this.

I've read that the default value is TRUE.

Let's hope nobody changed that in our organisation.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City

Unfortunately I have done exactly this and it doesn't work with the N900. I get the error: "Either Exchange server requires secure connection or account is disabled" and I can't proceed with account configuration on the device.

Posts: 320 | Thanked: 763 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Espoo, FInland
Originally Posted by hypnotik View Post
Unfortunately I have done exactly this and it doesn't work with the N900. I get the error: "Either Exchange server requires secure connection or account is disabled" and I can't proceed with account configuration on the device.
Most probably the server you try to use has "untrusted" certificate. E.g., self-signed.

The Following User Says Thank You to vitaly_repin For This Useful Post:
I'm also having problem with MfE sync. Don't know if we have '03 or '07, but sync works fine on other devices (E71, iTouch).

On the "Allow non-provisionable devices"
the guidance from;
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb123484.aspx

is "This setting specifies whether older devices that may not support application of all policy settings are allowed to connect to Exchange 2007 by using Exchange ActiveSync."

How come that excludes N900s, but not E71s?

Tags
activesync, alphanumeric, exchange, fremantle, maemo, maemo 5, mail for exchange, mfe, n900, non-provisionable, non-provisioning, passcode, password, provisionable, provisioning, security