Posts: 738 | Thanked: 179 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Gold Coast, Australia
i can uderstand the tutorial on how do install fonts just have one question can i install any fonts? like the helvetica series?

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ israel
Originally Posted by baksiidaa View Post
Did you follow the steps above?
i tried the steps but it said cannot make directory file exist but i dont see any folder on my documents.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ israel
hmmp no update this thread?

Originally Posted by hteink.min View Post
how do u make it work.. im still struggling on how to install in my n900..
hi ko min,
sorry for late reply. I happen to check this thread just now because I need to reinstall the font after flashing the device. There is a small mistake in the second moving command, "mv ~/Mydocs/.documents/*.ttf ~/.fonts/". "Mydocs" should be "MyDocs". That's it. So in case of Zawgyi-One-20060620.ttf in the Documents folder, the command should be "mv ~/MyDocs/.documents/Zawgyi-One-20060620.ttf ~/.fonts/". If it doesn't say " no such file or directory" , then it's done. If you give the moving command twice, it'd say "Operation not permitted". I hope this helps. A sin pyay par say byar

Last edited by Peterzin; 2010-05-30 at 10:20.

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sevilla
Hello, today install a source on my nokia n900 but it not looks great, does anyone know how to change the size?

hi,
i've installed the font, but it does display the text when im using the nokia email!!! does any one know how to resolve thos issue???
thanls

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sydney Australia
Guys,
I am very new to these mods, n900 and zero clue about linux. I have been trying to follow these threads like others and think I pretty much have my head around it and have been swapping fonts, it's great. I have seen a few guys struggling to grasp the install so simply trying to assist. I have used instructions by others and altered slightly for my own purpose.
I have created folders in my phone and attempted to be organised. So this adapted code works as per my folder structure and have highlighted in red. You can simply change the red to your own folder structure. Just make sure you change both codes portions in red. The first code will make a copy of the original and place in a folder (folder and path in red). The second takes the new files from the folder (in red ) and places in the correct location for it to work.

Firstly, download "rootsh" using your phone from Extras-devel and install.

How to activate Extras-devel
In the Application Manager:
1. Navigate to the application menu (tap the title bar)
2. Select ‘Application catalogs’
3. Select ‘New’
4. Enter a catalog name of ‘Maemo extras-devel’
5. Enter a web address of http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel
6. Enter a distribution of ‘fremantle’
7. Enter components of ‘free non-free’
8. Select ‘Save’

I have created folders 'original' & 'options' under:
MyDocs/.documents/nokian900/n900mods/font/
Name the files you wish to use:
'nosnb.ttf'
'nosnr.ttf'
'nosns.ttf'
'nscnr.ttf'
and place in the 'font' folder.

Now open X-Terminal App on your phone.

(Make back up of original files using code below)
CODE:
sudo gainroot
cp /usr/share/fonts/nokia/* MyDocs/.documents/nokian900/n900mods/font/original/

(Now copy new files in it's place using code below)
CODE:
mv MyDocs/.documents/nokian900/n900mods/font/* /usr/share/fonts/nokia/

Reboot phone and reapply any widgets back to the home screen if they are missing. To apply a different font you must reapply the nokia original font first, (in original folder) and reboot phone, then apply your font files and reboot.

I hope I have not confused you further and assisted. Thank you to the others that gave us all the info, works like a charm.

Last edited by Coffee; 2010-07-02 at 14:35.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coffee For This Useful Post:
So what I am not clear on is the the 4 different files. Do different apps use a different file?
So say I wanted to use the Nokia Sans for all general UI though wished to use the ProFont for word docs and X-Terminal. Can anyone tell me if that makes sense firstly and if so which one effects what?

bumping the thread in hope someone can assist

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Coffee: Those instructions are for "tricking" the system into thinking your custom fonts are the system fonts. You don't need those instructions for what you want to do.

If you just want to use a font in X-Terminal, you don't have to rename it. Just copy the .ttf file of the font you want to the /usr/share/fonts directory. Then reboot and go to the font dialog in the X-Terminal and choose your custom font.

If you just want to use the font in documents, make a directory /home/user/.fonts and put the .ttf file in there. It should show up in word processors, notepads, etc.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: