Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
I guess this entire site just doesn't exist then? Mer? The opening of previously opened packages? Fremantle? Harmattan?

There's only so much support that makes sense. Even Apple EOL's things and stops supporting hardware when it stops making sense to do so.
The community is nice and all but, what doesn't have a community. Basically, every device and software have a community but, wtithout direct access to their internals as previously mentioned here, there is only so much the community can do. That is the difference. There are, I am sure lots of community supporting sites for apple products but, that doesn't mean apple quit working on supporting their products. Look, I am not saying I'd rather have an apple product, I don't. Not right now anyways unless they made something similar to the N810, then yes.

Posts: 206 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Switzerland
SynchML, thanks johnkzin.

I hope that this will be implemented in Maemo 5.

Edite: But SyncML is for transfer via the network, not via a USB cable, no?

Last edited by korbé; 2009-08-11 at 23:20.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
On the other hand, those are 4 and 5 year old machines.

How old are the NITs that have been abandoned? Seems like they get abandoned on a 2ish year cycle.
On the other hand, I've seen no sign of Apple stepping up development support for Darwin to allow it to run the Pro Apps, so Nokia is ahead in my book for encouraging the success of Mer. Heck, I'm more excited about the future of Mer than Maemo proper.

That, and I didn't pay ~$6,000 for my tablets.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
4- and 5-year-old desktop machines which are more than capable of handling the performance requirements of Snow Leopard.

The situation isn't even remotely comparable to embedded devices where each generation is only barely capable of running the software it ships with, let alone the much more advanced software shipped 2 and 3 years down the road (ever used OS2008HE?).

Puh-lease, justifying dropping support for 4-year-old $4,000 computers.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Puh-lease, justifying dropping support for 4-year-old $4,000 computers.
That would put the purchase shortly after the architecture switch announcement. In that context 4 years of regular updates (such as they are) with only one paid upgrade isn't too bad. The soon-to-be-unsupported OS will still run most new third-party packages for a while longer, and when it's really obsolete, there's a large number of other regularly updated *nix distributions that will run just fine on the box.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Truly spoken like someone who hasn't ever owned an Apple machine (my friend's 4-year-old PPC G5 wont be getting any more updates, nor will my 5-year-old one).
Let's see. I own a G4 Cube, went from OS 9 to 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, and multiple points therein. With the option to go to 10.5. That's a 8 year old machine as of September of this year. 7 OS major revisions, over 25 minor point revisions.

Just received a cumulative security update last week, running iTunes 8.6, the latest Flash, QuickTime.

Sorry, but it's not the same at all. And the move to 10.6 excluding non-Intel Macs has been known for over 12 months. And all but Adobe CS4 is all that I lack on that G4 machine that's in my current repertoire of apps that support my needs.

Nokia can't say that about any of their machines at all.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ The Great White North
(I am getting my Newton out of the closet......)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to electrolind For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA

How old are the NITs that have been abandoned? Seems like they get abandoned on a 2ish year cycle.

Apple isn't perfect about it ... but the criticism of Nokia is still valid, and Apple wins in comparison.
I think it's fair enough that handheld devices would enjoy a shorter product lifespan than desktop machines. As GA noted, the investments are different. I'd prefer handhelds lasted longer, but then, they're in the tech-o-sphere that's developing fastest right now, aren't they.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I believe that's called SyncML.
There are already adaptors for it for Apple's suite of products, I think for MS's suite, for syncing SyncML devices to Google, and many MANY phones and PDAs already have SyncML clients (including Nokia S60 phones).
People have been requesting a SyncML client in Maemo for _years_. (me, specifically, for 2 years)
My own pet peeve since december of 2005 :-)

Especially galling as Nokia is one of the core creators of SyncML and has it is most of their phones...

Originally Posted by korbé View Post
SynchML, thanks johnkzin.
I hope that this will be implemented in Maemo 5.
Edite: But SyncML is for transfer via the network, not via a USB cable, no?
You can network over USB. SyncML is just a data exchange protocol, it is transport-neutral. You can sync over anything that will carry TCP/IP, which is quite a lot.