I don't understand few people around here. They say that the N9 doesn't need a better processor but the say that it is for the mass market. The mass market buyer will have a look at SGSII or any other phone which will show up in october and will buy the better one. The mass market buyer wants better numbers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fw190 View Post
I don't understand few people around here. They say that the N9 doesn't need a better processor but the say that it is for the mass market. The mass market buyer will have a look at SGSII or any other phone which will show up in october and will buy the better one. The mass market buyer wants better numbers.
na when they say mass mkt they mean the iphone demographic who dont care about numbers not the android demographic

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
I am still to understand why would you want a Linux desktop experience on a much much smaller handheld device ? Simply because it can be done ? But the why not have a Mac OS desktop experience on an iPhone ?

Simply because it doesnt make sense usability wise.

But again thats me.
Because I prefer to have something akin to a laptop computer small enough to fit in my pocket. Considering the Nokia N8x0 and the Nokia N900 (aside from the phone radio) bordered on exactly that, I don't see why that's asking for too much. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of people might PREFER a true MacOC X desktop experience on an iPhone and on iPads, too. People do go out of their way to buy these accessories (keyboards, external screens, docks, etc.) and apps to get it to sometimes resemble it.

It make sense usability wise. Far more than crippling the experience for those seeking something that is NOT a phone. Remember, we came here for tablets--not for iPhone/Android competitors. If that's what it's turning into, then we'll have to start looking elsewhere for our devices (and it seems that many of us already are).

Originally Posted by zb88 View Post
to make it easier for iphone users to jump ship right away as this N9 has that "eye-candy" appeal
Because iPhone users are absolutely HURTING to jump off their platform? You have to admit that it will take a LOT more than this to make iOS people jump ship--especially with Apple's walled garden of apps and media. Nobody in their right mind would invest hundreds of dollars or thousands into apps and media content (yes, there are those people!) for their iOS/MacOS devices just to jump ship to this--the N9. :P There just isn't anything compelling enough in the N9 to justify that.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Hopefully, something better than this will come from Intel's direction. The better I know Android, the less I like it. I don't like this incarnation of MeeGo: Forget about iAnything or Microsoft. Back to my N900.
I'm grown to like the Android OS, but I really, really would like to jump back off of it (or at least dual-boot, or run Android apps inside something else) and go back to a REAL OS that works and feels like POSIX with a good front-end GUI and windowed environment and support for external higher resolution screens when it's docked into something. This N9 fails miserably on lots of levels where it really should have, by rights, had the advantage in every way. NOKIA FAIL. I hope Intel fares far better with MeeGo, and it might be where I end up going as my alternative to Android and upgrade from the N800.

Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
.... you realise the N9 is being released in PINK right ?
It's not PINK! It's magenta!

Originally Posted by raghu_mark View Post
5. HDMI: i miss it as well. But, somebody could use NFC to try and stream videos over Wifi (wishful thinking )
It's kind of funny--but my Samsung Galaxy Tab has HDMI out, I even have a dock and a 1080p monitor I could use to watch it on but more often than not, I don't even bother. I just use TwonkyMedia to beam DLNA/UPNP to my Xbox 360 (which is what I always have running on that screen anyway for one reason or another--i.e. Netflix, rentals, games, etc.). Best of all, I can beam from my ancient old Motorola Droid, which has no video output at all--but DLNA works great. I'm sure the N900 could even do this all in software, much less this new N9 abomination.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
Either you can have a fat phone with replacable battery and keyboard, and large MP camera, or a thin one without. It can either be affordable or have the best hardware.
Some of you people are going to complain no matter what, Nokia knew this too. They tried to bring something out that would please the most people, which obviously isn't going to be a bunch of geeks. Nokia isn't in the position to be catering to us at the moment!
On the other hand, I don't really have a problem with this n9. We haven't even *tried* to look at how we can customize the UI or the keyboard or anything else yet. Thanks to Apple we don't really need flash either. ugh. No point trying to convince some of you, already made up your mind based on some prototype shots of the UI and some crazy expectations of a phone that has support lasting into the next decade even though you will want a new one in 2 years...
Thankfully, Android has done at least ONE really particularly good thing and promoted LOTS of competition in the handset devices. Competition tends to prove you wrong and there are some EXCELLENT, lightweight devices out there with top-notch specs at very cheap to reasonable prices--hardly any of them are too expensive for what they deliver, these days and it only looks better for the future.

Originally Posted by number41 View Post
I'll buy one, if costs like $100 or less. Maybe that's their disruptivion plan, selling something that would suck for the conventionally high price of nokia phones for the price of cheap phones.

Then those famed Nokia factories could finally start cranking up a motherload of phones, overrun the market, and maybe even cure cancer, who knows.

...like that's even going to happen. I'm not buying this thing unless it goes for truly cheap prices. That's all it'll be worth, anyways.
Hah! Agreed!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Does anyone know if Alien Dalvik will support Harmattan? If so, applications won't be a handicap.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by isorn View Post
Does anyone know if Alien Dalvik will support Harmattan? If so, applications won't be a handicap.
It already run on plain old Fremantle, so why not? Question is: will Nokia pay for it to be preinstalled? I dont think so. Nokia does not want an Android device, they want WP7. Running WP7 stuff on MeeGo is not likely, so why make Android stuff run on it? Besides how will a non Android device connect legally to Android Market? Because if running Android apps is a mayor feature, you must give the users a way to actually buy those apps. And there is a snowballs chance in Hell for Google to allow N9 into Android Market. Possible? Yes. Probable? No!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Why now? it's a good question. I think we have underestimated Nokia and also been thinking in black and white, this or that.

The N9 will attract a certain niche, and as such will be able to make lots of money for Nokia. Money and market shares that WP is not able to make.
Agreed, a lot of people got all hyperventilated on feb 11th, and refused to see the evidence that was there.

Agreed once again, meego will be a niche platform that gives nokia a plan b if they cannot turn WP7 into the third mobile ecosystem alongside IOS and android.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 729 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Athens, Greece
... so there's a screen with all your open and running apps... but how do you close them?

Did'nt see a little "X" anywhere or in any hands-on demo anyone closing a running app..

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by zifis View Post
... so there's a screen with all your open and running apps... but how do you close them?

Did'nt see a little "X" anywhere or in any hands-on demo anyone closing a running app..
Oh, but there is! You hold your finger on a 'tile', then the small red 'X' mark appears in all the tiles, and on the bottom you find a 'Close all' button as well. Not too elegant IMHO...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Nokia store as a proper app this time not just a webpage
they even do a HTML5 browser test where it scores more than double than what IE9 desktop does and little less than desktop chrome
this is best video yet, even get to see a few bugs lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LphiR...e_gdata_player

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Last edited by NvyUs; 2011-06-22 at 08:18.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
So any idea whether there is usb-otg or not ? Or will it be like on N900 that the hw is there all we need is sw to make it work ?

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????