Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
I use haze, i have not tried anyone else, because it would mean i have to merge my contacts again.

it does not have a HUMONGOUS effect on the battery but i do get disconnected and sometimes have problems connected.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The thread "Best msn app to use in the N900?" with eight posts has been merged into this thread.

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jan 2010 @ New York, NY
In addition to built-in Skype and Google, I am using the Pidgin protocols plugin for MSN, AIM and Yahoo and I am happy with it but I have the feeling it's draining my battery much faster... and my device gets warmer as well.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?

I also added Facebook through Jabber.

I actually bought a second battery and, if I am connected to all of them, I will have to switch during the day for sure.

Originally Posted by jujuinla View Post
In addition to built-in Skype and Google, I am using the Pidgin protocols plugin for MSN, AIM and Yahoo and I am happy with it but I have the feeling it's draining my battery much faster... and my device gets warmer as well.

Is anyone experiencing the same thing?
Haven't used the Pidgin protocal plugins for the conversation app (I prefer using Pidgin when I need those protocals). But that's not surprising since it's likely that those protocals need to wake the N900 up more often to keep the connection to the server alive.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Hi, I have a problem with the MSN Protocol Plugin. It worked fine for a few days after installing but since yesterday there's a network error. Skype and ovi-connections have no problems. I tried restarting the phone, reinstalling the plugin, but all without result. Normal web-based MSN messenger did work (besides the most annoying fact you have to reload the page everytime to see a message during a conversation). Does anyone have a solution for the plugin error?

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Before when I used GTalk, I had it open on computer and phone at the same time, but it would only deliver new messages to the one I was active on. So lets say I'm chatting away on my computer, I will only receive messages on my computer and not my N900. And when I chat on N900, only receive messages there.

But now I receive all messages in both. Anyone noticed the same? Really annoying to have phone vibrating away when I'm chatting on computer.

Originally Posted by Cornpit77 View Post
Hi, I have a problem with the MSN Protocol Plugin. It worked fine for a few days after installing but since yesterday there's a network error. Skype and ovi-connections have no problems. I tried restarting the phone, reinstalling the plugin, but all without result. Normal web-based MSN messenger did work (besides the most annoying fact you have to reload the page everytime to see a message during a conversation). Does anyone have a solution for the plugin error?
I use Skype, google talk, facebook and ovi (even I don't know anyone on ovi). These are all kind of integrated into the device and work perfectly. I am always connected with these. I also use yahoo and msn which require plug ins. For a week now I have been unable to connect to these accounts. I just get the network error you refer to. I uninstalled the plug ins yesterday and reinstalled and they worked. But I was connected to the internet via wireless. As soon as I stepped out of the house and my connection switched I got the network error again and have been unable to reconnect.

Very frustrating because yahoo and msn are really the chats I use to stay in contact. Looks like it may be a very very long time before the plug in is anywhere close to as stable as the built in ones and is ready to move to maemo extras.

MSN pecan is pretty stable for me,
except when you change network connections, then it has the same problem as all other msn protocols i tried so dont know where that comes from. and that is the network connection failure
Good thing with pecan is that you can recover easy, Just open the msn pecan account and press safe after you the network connection switch. Then it reconnect. It seems to me that somehow that plugin or where the build it on (telepathy?) is trying to reconnect to soon and then just says network error, Or they are not even try to reconnect at all and just see that the current network connection is killed.

I would also like to have multiply logins yes. Now i just constantly switch, most of my time i am on my laptop and i want it there. I just have to remember if i close my laptop that i enable it on my phone and visa versa.

Problem is that there is only one type of account that really works well with multiply logins and that is skype. Because skype does exactly what it should do and that is sending an incoming im to ALL clients and even what you self send is send to your self on the other login. That is a really great feature, Then you can seamlessly go from laptop and your phone

Anyone else notice that their Online Buddies from "New IM" button in Converstaions does not update/refresh until you disconnect and reconnect the service? Everything updates/refreshes fine in your contact list, not "New IM".
I noticed this when I saw the same buddies online for hours without changing, turns out the thing does not refresh!

Afternoon, I recently was having some issues with my conversations IM login, whereby I couldnt connect to the account. I solved that by deleting the account. Not having deleted the account previous since getting the device (n900) I had all of my contacts merged. Now after having reinitialized the IM account all of the names appear separately to the contacts names. It seems to have downloaded them again to the device, I have my old contact book saved on the device, and would like to know, that if I delete the account again, is there a way to link it to the contacts already in the n900?

Tags
aim, client, facebook, fremantle, fring, googletalk, haze, icq, implementing msn, instant message, instant messaging, jabber, maemo, maemo 5, msn, pidgin, purple, sametime, skype, telepathy, y!m, yahoo