Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Indiana
Seriously? I have to laugh. I know this is a huge leap for the Iphone and friends. But why do the tech blogs write about it and show pictures? I am not an Apple hater I just can't figure out why this is a feature upgrade worthy of such attention. In other news, my dentist is now using floss.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RavMan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
yup, the media attention is the real puzzler when it comes to the iphone.

somehow i suspect its a follow-on from the ipod craze. thats a product that apple really mannaged to time (much thanks to itunes and itms).

Last edited by tso; 2009-03-19 at 04:12.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
oh come on, don't point fingers. the maemo community right now is celebrating a new browser (fennec) that can't do copy/paste, either, and nobody cares as long as it moves and blinks. some day in the future it will introduce this revolutionary feature, and there'll be the same craze here on ITT (or rather: on talk.maemo.org) about it then. 2011, probably.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Nobody really, really cares about Fennec. Not yet. MicroB can do copy/paste, as can the whole system.

Can't really compare Apples and Oranges (or Nokias)...

And copy/paste has been working for a long time on jailbroken devices, its just Apple is slightly brain dead when it comes to adding basic features.

For example: None of my friends, including me, even knew that the iPod Touch had bluetooth. Why the hell didn't apple advertise that? Everyone is like 'Wow, my iPod magically gained a HARDWARE feature..." Its even worse than the hidden FM radio in the N800.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Last edited by Thesandlord; 2009-03-19 at 07:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thesandlord For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
The hype around iphone is an overkill and has been since the release of it. I'm not saying iphone is not worth buying. If someone's into it, just go for it. There's nothing wrong in buying stuff to feed your tech-addiction (we've all been there). iphone just doesn't fit my needs, even with copy-paste.

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
Same with me.
Reasons:
- binding with a mobile operator in most countries (including mine)
- no access to the file system
- many useful applications are disapproved by apple
- limited Bluetooth use (no modem, file transfer or external GPS use)

Furthermore it is a nice device with an excellent user interface.
So I am happy with the N810 als alternative.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
The problem with copy/paste was related to sandboxing. If you have a FreeBSD jail which talks back to its host this creates trouble. You should look up how difficult it is to develop a microkernel with services in a secure and reliable way. Very hard...

Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
- binding with a mobile operator in most countries (including mine)
Buy it elsewhere. I can buy one in Belgium, Greece, Switzerland...

I don't want one btw. For various reasons.

- no access to the file system
Jailbreak

- many useful applications are disapproved by apple
Jailbreak

- limited Bluetooth use (no modem, file transfer or external GPS use)
Jailbreak

As you can see jailbreak is a word like 'rtfm' or 'utfs'. It opens a can of worms. Just like you can compile or develop for N8x0.

Apple is the first with a slick finger-touch UI although the devices are lacking in other areas.

I can sync iCal with my Nokia E71, I can sync iCal with my iPod touch. I cannot sync iCal with Nokia N810. Bummer! But thats life, those are the positive and negative aspects of each device and manufacturer.

Some iPhone users will laugh too once RX-51 gets iCal support. Or gets HS*PA. Or gets hardware rendering. Or gets multi-touch. Or gets accelerometer. Yes, these are basic features. Yes, competitors already have it. Yes, they are useful features. Yes, they are most welcome.

And Benny, yes we all know by now that you hate finger-touch UIs. Stick with stylus-touch UIs like Sharp Zaurus, Nokia N8x0, Apple Newton while the rest of the world goes forward to finger-touch UIs...

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2009-03-19 at 14:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
oh come on, don't point fingers. the maemo community right now is celebrating a new browser (fennec) that can't do copy/paste, either, and nobody cares as long as it moves and blinks.
celebrates? im not sure how you got that impression, but im not celebrating.

i tested, commented, and abandoned as pr today its osk compatibility and size in storage was not worth it.

im finding more interest in tear and webkit support in general.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
The problem with copy/paste was related to sandboxing. If you have a FreeBSD jail which talks back to its host this creates trouble. You should look up how difficult it is to develop a microkernel with services in a secure and reliable way. Very hard...

Buy it elsewhere. I can buy one in Belgium, Greece, Switzerland...

I don't want one btw. For various reasons.

Jailbreak

Jailbreak

Jailbreak

As you can see jailbreak is a word like 'rtfm' or 'utfs'. It opens a can of worms. Just like you can compile or develop for N8x0.
and then a update comes out of the blue and breaks it all. at least nokia do not break the root gaining packages on each ssu...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Thats why one shouldn't install a new firmware right away. One should also make appropriate backups. Same with a Nokia device running Symbian or a Nokia device running Maemo. As for the latter a SSU can break any unofficial mods one made. Or packages installed via Extras. That is... normal...