Notices

Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
hi all,
i am trying to decide which browser is better on the N900 microb or firefox?
i am currently testing/using both but cant decide which is better!

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
microB for me, with occasional firefox use for just 1 or 2 sites. most of the time firefox seems slower to load, less polished, less reactive and i cant highlight text on pages, hopefully they adress they issues soon though because i would like to love firefox!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
microB for me, with occasional firefox use for just 1 or 2 sites. most of the time firefox seems slower to load, less polished, less reactive and i cant highlight text on pages, hopefully they adress they issues soon though because i would like to love firefox!
you just said what i was thinking .... but as you said id love to love firefox!

I tried firefox but it was slow, crashed my n900 etc. I have heard the new builds are better so waiting for the next release to before I reinstall.

Also tried firefox, too slow to open the app and seemed slower to load pages, microb is for me.

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
I was JUST about to start a thead like this. I really look forward to what people use each browser for and why.

So far I almost only use MicroB. I like having all the desktop shortcuts, and the mouse option.

I've only used the firefox when I am sitting at my desktop, and sync my tabs so I can can bring some 'reading material' to the other room...

MicroB. Firefox still feels like unfinished prototype.

Definitely MicroB! wish it had tabs, otherwise it is perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to manavs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
From a post of mine in a similar thread:
"I like it better. So much so I've made it my default browser. Better UI than MicroB to me. Really nice to have true tabbed browsing, real < > buttons, the usual Firefox extensions like Adblock Plus, etc. Nokia seems to like it too, they're featuring it: http://maemo.nokia.com/

The nightly testing builds are adding more features and speed all the time. Probably won' be too long and we'll get an upgraded version that will really make it nice."

I have tweaked it a bit - enabled flash, doubled the cache from 1024 to 2048 - a little this and that. Been very stable for me and just as fast as MicroB once it gets going (doesn't pre-load into memory at boot-up like MicroB so takes 4-5 seconds to open).
Registered Linux user #266531.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
I use MicroB with the css hack to disable all Flash content. It's the fastest experience I've had. Firefox just wasn't even close to fast enough for me, even with Flash disabled by default. I read a lot of news sites and they sometimes have three or four different Flash ads showing at the same time. Having only one Flash box probably wouldn't have that big of an impact.