EDIT: Now official trolling grounds.. stay away

Okey, be advised, I don't yet own the n900 (not until Tuesday) and I may have inaccurate information, so feel free to flame as you see fit and should this post be a total repeat or unintentional trolling, go ahead and blast this thread to hell (or consider this a useful summery)

This is only my point of view and maybe I am merely justifying my purchase here, but this how i summed everything up before deciding to buy it, perhaps It will be of use to someone.

FUTURE FIRMWARES
My old n95 got fm´s for a couple of years i think, and since n900 is now released in india (second largest population in the world), it would seem to me that this is a sign of their commitment for at least some time and surely more updates. There also seems to be new bugfixes in bugzilla. I am sure they wouldn't fix bugs if they're not gonna release it? (Edit: But they have apparently failed to do so with diablo) The point of a FM is to fix stuff, not bring new features (promised features excluded). So maybe one more FM is enough...ehmm..*cough*

MEEGO RELEASE
In my mind there can't be official support since it cannot be updated to Meego, only through a clean install. So if my mom would geek around with a n900, I'm sure she would have a hard time understanding how to flash her phone with another OS. She would probably call nokia 24/7 complaining that updating her email didn't install meego

This phone has maemo, a "new" OS, an OS nokia is still supporting (at least they did last month right?). So I don't really see the problem at this time. If we want Meego/android/win 95/mac os on our n900s, I think it's the community that is responsible to provide it, not nokia. And should nokia be kind enough to give it to us without official hardware/help support, then i would say It's nothing but a nice gesture.

COOLER FEATURES
Compass, HD video cam, hdmi etc. Sure, all nice things to have. But this phone was designed before most of that was being implemented in others. If nokia just upgraded everything, whats the selling point for the next device? I don't think any company can exist if they don't get to sell new and improved products.

On a side note. As a graphic designer, the ability to draw on a pressure sensitive screen is the main feature for me. Thanks to the iphone trend, maybe this is the last phone ever to sport this kind of screen since capacitive glossy glass sure looks a lot cooler. So love it while you have it. (unless you hate to draw)

FLASH 10.1
"They promised me!!" Yes, companies suck. That's their nature. But remember that no phone has yet to receive flash player 10.1. It's only the beta version. So until the day we are officially denied this update there is no point to be sad. I personally, is expecting the worst but am hoping for the best. If I miss out on flash 10.1 sites for a year before buying a new device I am confident I can find other aspects of life to enjoy without being to depressed. Play with action figures or watching birds perhaps.

With that said, Nokia is definitely horrible at communicating and I am sure a ton of tiny things are missing and kind of suck with the n900, but life itself is kind of designed to suck sometimes.

So what we should do is to sit back and marvel at the amazing tech we are able to enjoy. Because one thing is for sure. If I was hired as an engineer, my greatest efforts would at the most result in a phone made up by a single light bulb and some duck tape. So applauds to the smart guys of the world. We would be nowhere without you...

Last edited by outdoors; 2010-06-18 at 01:00. Reason: Beware of trolls

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to outdoors For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by outdoors View Post
I am sure they wouldn't fix bugs if they're not gonna release it.
Someone is going to point you to a list of bugs fixed for Diablo but never released.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Someone is going to point you to a list of bugs fixed for Diablo but never released.
Great input! I will edit in that

The Following User Says Thank You to outdoors For This Useful Post:
Posts: 117 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Hardenberg
When you want a phone with a decent keyboard, good browser, screen readable outside, good camera in comparison, this phone isn't to bad..

Read this, a recent thorough review of the Droid and N900,:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/3764/t...torola-droid/8

I (and I hope, most here) don't have to think too much to justify our N900 purchase; but the lament is that Nokia doesn't seem to have a viable smartphone strategy. I can list all day long the short-comings of the iPhone, but Apple built the buzz and the automatons bought into it. In contrast, Nokia has been in two minds about the N900. They've got some weird mish-mash of IP they're sinking development resources into, such as Maemo, then ditching it for Meego, Qt, Symbian, half-*** Ovi for N900, etc.

I hope they have some grand unified plan, but it is not apparent. It's a release-early-release-often world, and Nokia is stuck with building a long-awaited Spruce Goose.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
Each of your four points in turn...

it would seem to me that this is a sign of their commitment for at least some time and surely more updates.
No, it is a sign that they can take more money from an end of life product.

In my mind there can't be official support since it cannot be updated to Meego
It can theoretically. Just like your computer can install Linux, XP or Win7.

But this phone was designed before most of that was being implemented in others. If nokia just upgraded everything, whats the selling point for the next device?
This is not true. And kind of sad for a flagship priced device even if it was.

"They promised me!!" Yes, companies suck.
Yes, some more so than others.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-17 at 15:08.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on May 2010 @ TMO
It can theoretically. Just like your computer can install Linux, XP or Win7.
He's talking about upgrading - sorta like how you can install P.R. 1.2 over PR 1.1.1 and have almost everything preserved.

This is not true. And kind of sad for a flagship priced device even if it was.
Well, if you'd consider the iPhone...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickysio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by imperiallight View Post
No, it is a sign that they can take more money from an end of life product.
@imperiallight
So are you saying whenever a product is launched on a wider market it means the company only wants more money and also that the product is dead? Makes perfect sense to me. If the Evo 4g ever reach sweden I will run for cover! Now that I know what they're up to
Also, I tried to update my win 7 to linux but nothing happened when I pressed the "windows update button". Seems like I would need to do a clean install or something.

Sorry if I am out line here dude, just kidding around a little bit
I do like your input and would like to see more arguments supporting your beliefs and past experiences regarding this. The - "If we look at the past we can predict the future" - kind of thing.

Posts: 271 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland, Białystok
it is a sign that they can take more money from an end of life product.
Ohh come on...
How would they make money of n95 by releasing new firmware? I could make a bet that 50% of n95 user doesn't know what symbian is(or heard about it, but don't know what it is) or firmware update. No one gonna buy a old phone just because it got new fw

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
So are you saying whenever a product is launched on a wider market it means the company only wants more money and also that the product is dead?
Not at all. I am keeping the n900 in mind with my post. They haven't given it an even average Ovi store or many other of its promises, hell they even said this product wasn't for mass market but its now stocked by the worlds second biggest supermarket as of last week:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56167
And now you say one of the worlds biggest countries (India).
And most importantly the n900 is at the end of life as far as nokia is concerned, hence no transition to MeeGo and why they wont probably bother to provide updates to this experimental device (we will see if this proves to be right). Most consumers in these countries won't know they are being taken for a ride.

Last edited by imperiallight; 2010-06-17 at 17:11.