Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
I just tried what happens if you spill your n900 with lots of latte macchiato. The result: The sugar makes everything stick together and once you use the slider the film cable connecting the display sticks together and tears apart:

The next releases of gpxview, osm2go, maep etc ... will be seriously delayed ...

P.S.: Please add plenty of sugar to your coffee if you try this, just to make sure the cable is basically glued somewhere ...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
How was the coffee mate?

Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
Sorry dude, that really sucks, what you gona do repair or replace?

Originally Posted by rolan900d View Post
How was the coffee mate?
The remaining coffee was all over the kitchen table and i did not put it back into a glass to try if it tastes differently after it went through a telephone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tiboric View Post
Sorry dude, that really sucks, what you gona do repair or replace?
I don't know. I only had a minor gpxview release pending, so nothing really urgent. I just put the card back into my old k750i.

I don't think it makes sense to try to get it repaired as there's sure also coffee in the keyboard part. I think i'll just wait some time and see whether i can live without the n900.

Perhaps it makes sense to wait for the meego phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Master of Gizmo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Master of Gizmo View Post
I don't know. I only had a minor gpxview release pending, so nothing really urgent. I just put the card back into my old k750i.

I don't think it makes sense to try to get it repaired as there's sure also coffee in the keyboard part. I think i'll just wait some time and see whether i can live without the n900.

Perhaps it makes sense to wait for the meego phone.
Soak it in rubbing alcohol. Then dry it out in rice. Then get it repaired. Because somewhere deep inside you know you can't live without the n900. The thought of going back to a 'normal' smartphone sickens you. Yes. Use your hatred.

Originally Posted by Descalzo View Post
Soak it in rubbing alcohol. Then dry it out in rice. Then get it repaired. Because somewhere deep inside you know you can't live without the n900. The thought of going back to a 'normal' smartphone sickens you. Yes. Use your hatred.
I've never owned a smartphone before. I actually barely used cell phones before and i am sure i can live without them.

Geting a new n900/the n900 repaired will take time and will cost money. I don't think i am in the mood to spend my spare time _and_ my money writing/supporting n900 apps. Also the n900 would only be for apps testing after the meego devices come out. Just like my n810 is only there to make sure my apps still run on the old devices.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
The rice thing is not beneficial no matter how many times you read about doing that on the internet. The physics of leaving your phone for 48+ hours simply means that the water will evaporate on its own.

The goal is to dry the thing out as fast as you possibly can to prevent corrosion.

Spilled coffee, I'd be inclined to wash the phone under water, assuming you've got enough in there to gum up the works with sugar. Fill up your sink - if you're paranoid you can use distilled water - and dunk away.

Strip it down to parts, towel it off, and then leave it in a warm dry environment, Somewhere between 40 and 60 degrees C. A hair dryer can provide this for you, or the oven. (Avoid the microwave)

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@MoG: Sorry to hear about the ordeal dude.

@dchky: Shouldn't it be warm water to melt the sugar quicker?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Why is the n900 attracted to getting wet and coffee?

same thing happened to me too, thank god there was no sugar or milk in my coffee.....lesson to be learned?dont have your n900 anywhere near any sort of beverage, the n900 is just gonna want to have a dip! if you need your n900 near you whille drinking, make sure its atleast 50 cm away from your beverage, cos chances are it gonna wanna take a dip!

Tags
coffee, dead n900, sad story, sugar, take note