im in canada, nb, Fredericton and using Rogers, i only get 2.5g instead of 2g, my battery is reduced to 35 % ... how do i fix it ?

Posts: 265 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
get the 2g/3g/dual mode selection applet.
allows u to change between 2g, 3g or both

2.5 means EDGE and 2G means GPRS only, if you want your internet to be decent enough you WOULD want 2.5G otherwise it will be dogging slow on 2G (dialup).

i have the appelet for selecting either one of them or duel, and i dont want to use any sort of internet, i just want wifi, normal calling.. and my old batter life ! any way to get rid of the . 5 ?

Originally Posted by zikmir View Post
i have the appelet for selecting either one of them or duel, and i dont want to use any sort of internet, i just want wifi, normal calling.. and my old batter life ! any way to get rid of the . 5 ?
Just delete the APN settings that you have setup, since there is not an option to completely delete it. May be restore settings will delete the APN?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
You don't understand what he is asking. He is not using it for internet, he just wants to stop it using 2.5G mode, since he is not connecting to anything deleting the APN won't have any effect.

I wasn't aware that 2.5G uses more power than 2G and I don't think there is any way to select pure 2G without including 2.5G. Maybe someone else will be able to give you a more useful answer.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
...i dont want to use any sort of internet, i just want wifi, normal calling...any way to get rid of the . 5 ?
Seems like you don't quite understand the different connections. You can connect via wifi or via your cellphone service provider in 3 different speeds: 2G (GPRS, roughly equal to dialup speed) 2.5G (EDGE, faster) or 3G (much faster than EDGE, but harder on battery life). If you're still confused, Google is your friend.

If you want to use wifi only go to
Settings > Internet connections > Connect automatically
and choose 'Wi-Fi'. Then I think it will only connect using wifi.
Registered Linux user #266531.

no one is answering in simple words, is it some how possible via xterm or other way to switch the .5 off ? just that ! i dont need instruction on wifi... all is great on my cell, just that ..5 is costing me 4~8 hours !
i really appriciate all the help !

Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Seems like you don't quite understand the different connections. You can connect via wifi or via your cellphone service provider in 3 different speeds: 2G (GPRS, roughly equal to dialup speed) 2.5G (EDGE, faster) or 3G (much faster than EDGE, but harder on battery life). If you're still confused, Google is your friend.

If you want to use wifi only go to
Settings > Internet connections > Connect automatically
and choose 'Wi-Fi'. Then I think it will only connect using wifi.

it is only set to WIFI only !

no one is answering in simple words, is it some how possible via xterm or other way to switch the .5 off ? just that ! i dont need instruction on wifi... all is great on my cell, just that ..5 is costing me 4~8 hours !
i really appriciate all the help !
i dont think the .5 is the problem if its costing you 4-8hrs of battery life

The Following User Says Thank You to Changegames For This Useful Post: