Hi

Hi I made a fresh install of "Maemo Leste" (on a SDHC Class10 card, ebay N900, -the old one the wifi stopped working on & and draining battery).

When I go into "Settings" and press on "Text Input", then the "Settings" closes (with message "Internal error. Application 'Settings' closed.")

The thingy is, in text editing, as in Xtreminal I can't get extra symbols (when pressing 'sym' on the keyboard, nothing shows up, so I can't pipe "|" etc).

Was hoping to resolve web -certificate issues, with this distro, but see now that the recommended browser is "links2"? (most https address are invalid on the stockOs).

Also I wonder if "postmarketOs" is anything to hope for? (I tested a pre-built n900 image, desktop "sxmo-de-dwm". But it seamed buggy, went into some hybernation/sleep loop and drained battery (used same SDcard btw). They have a "console" version though, Android floating keyboard worked though on the thingy I tested.)

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jul 2023 @ Europe
There is no real web browser working at the moment. Only Dillo and Links2 (GUI mode) are usable because they use less than 50MB of RAM.
However there is no certificate issues and TLS1.3 works fine with Leste.
Web browsing on N900 in 2024 is not a question of distro, that's a question of RAM unfortunately

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arno_11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,718 | Thanked: 4,764 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
Have people tried the latest netsurf? Not everything opens but for basic web browsing and reading news etc. I found it to be best. There is also one for Fremantle with EasyDebbie and works well.

Master of not knowing (active)

For me it is possible to get lost in any case (active)

Learning to fall from high (DONE)

Learning to code with BASIC (WIP)

The Following User Says Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by phoohb View Post
When I go into "Settings" and press on "Text Input", then the "Settings" closes (with message "Internal error. Application 'Settings' closed.")

The thingy is, in text editing, as in Xtreminal I can't get extra symbols (when pressing 'sym' on the keyboard, nothing shows up, so I can't pipe "|" etc).
If Settings closes with error, something is probably wrong with your install: did you extand rootfs ? Reboot ? Did you made all updates ? Devel upgrade ? (absolutely necessary at the moment on N900 and very stable with kernel 6.6 LTS).
Everything will be moved to stock img soon btw.

For extra symbols, you should press 'blue arrow' first, then 'sym' quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Arno_11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Arno_11 View Post
If Settings closes with error, something is probably wrong with your install: did you extand rootfs ? Reboot ? Did you made all updates ? Devel upgrade ? (absolutely necessary at the moment on N900 and very stable with kernel 6.6 LTS).
Everything will be moved to stock img soon btw.

For extra symbols, you should press 'blue arrow' first, then 'sym' quickly.
Yes, I extended rootfs. Yes, I rebooted. Yes, I update (also "apt update"). No, I did not "devel upgrade". And no "zram" thingy (dono what that was about).

Another thing, "Mypaint" didn't show up in the "App.manager", but existed in the apt -repository. I installed it, but was not what I remembered (I draw a line and half a minute later seeing it slowly appearing on the screen).

As for web-browsing, noticed suckless "Surf" was in the default "App.manager". And it worked (showing some https -webpages I didn't see previously). But I dono if I have the right setup to use "Leste", its slow on my (Chinese ebay) N900 SDHC-card, and seen unexpected reboots (seams best to have wall-power allthetime).

Apps in App Manager are extras packages from the Leste community.
MyPaint is a Devuan repo app, so absolutely not optimised for your device.
Zram is not needed, and not activated (even if you see messages about it), no worries
I recommend you to just dist-upgrade to -devel:
Add in /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
deb https://maedevu.maemo.org/leste chimaera-devel main contrib non-free n900
Then 'apt-get update' then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and reboot.

If the device become responsive with no lags, update is ok
If not, something is probably wrong with the device or the SDcard.

Note: fast battery draining and unexpected reboots are not 'normal' and not known issues AFAIK. Maybe your battery is faulty.

Last edited by Arno_11; 2024-09-26 at 20:36.

I recommend you to just dist-upgrade to -devel:
Add in /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
deb https://maedevu.maemo.org/leste chimaera-devel main contrib non-free n900
Then 'apt-get update' then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' and reboot.
Oki, so I did that now, upgraded to "chimaera-devel", but the problem remains, same error message when pressing "Settings, Textinput" crash.

Maybe I attempt with another (newer sdxc) card, another day, dono.

When choosing to "Switch off" it remains on for a long time, its just the screen that looses backlighting (some text about X11 -log are barley visible). -I may just have pulled the battery once or twice, just tobe sure its off.

X11 logs on shutdown is a known issue: the device turns off after around 90 seconds.

For the setting text input crash, i really don't know what's going on, sorry. Is your keyboard working fine btw ?

X11 logs on shutdown is a known issue: the device turns off after around 90 seconds.

For the setting text input crash, i really don't know what's going on, sorry. Is your keyboard working fine btw ?
Yes the keyboard works, in stockOS, almost as good as the original, its the English version (dono I may have Swedish settings somewhere else), backlighting isn't very smooth though (dark in the middle).

Output of "strace controlpanel": ..
Code:
(controlpanel:3800): sapwood-engine-WARNING **: 00:17:51.966: sapwood-theme: Failed to load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/alpha/images/qgn_plat_separator_horizontal.png: Failed to connect to sapwood server using `/var/tmp/sapwood-:0.0': Connection refused

`/sapwood-server' MUST be started before applications

(controlpanel:3800): sapwood-engine-WARNING **: 00:17:56.910: sapwood-theme: Failed to load pixmap file /usr/share/themes/alpha/images/RoundedSelection.png: Failed to connect to sapwood server using `/var/tmp/sapwood-:0.0': Connection refused

`/sapwood-server' MUST be started before applications

"\0\0\27\344", 4)               = 4
read(3, "\v\0\0\0", 4)                  = 4
rt_sigaction(SIGHUP, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0xb6eb0831}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGINT, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0xb6eb0831}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGQUIT, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0xb6eb0831}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGTERM, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0xb6eb0831}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGUSR1, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0xb6eb0831}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGUSR2, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0xb6eb0831}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGWINCH, {sa_handler=SIG_DFL, sa_mask=[], sa_flags=SA_RESTORER|SA_RESTART, sa_restorer=0xb6eb0831}, NULL, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, ~[RTMIN RT_1], [], 8) = 0
getpid()                                = 3799
gettid()                                = 3799
tgkill(3799, 3799, SIGSEGV)             = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SI_TKILL, si_pid=3799, si_uid=1000} ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
Segmentation fault

Weird errors with sapwood...seems to not run.
Did you modify something in xsession or ?

Are you able to find sapwood process with pgrep ?

If not, i think you should try again to run Leste from a fresh install.
(Do not install anything before dist-upgrade).

On my device, i don't see any error when running 'strace controlpanel' btw.

Last edited by Arno_11; 2024-09-27 at 16:33.