Notices

Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I must admit, though, that I kind of liked the save icon. To me it wasn't just the save feature that was valuable to me but that when it was in saved mode it was un-editable and the content was locked in. It has happened in the past that I've selected a chunk of text when scrolling and accidentally pressed a key causing the text to get deleted.
I did rarely use these keys in previous versions, except when saving a note before rebooting the tablet. Therefore I did remove them. Though I see that accidentially deleting text might be more of a problem on a N810 than on my N800, due to the hardware keyboard.

I will check, how I can re-add some sort of locking functionality in the next version. Maybe just one button for toggling between locked and unlocked.

I don't, in my mind ever 'close an applet' or 'send it to the background'. It stays active on my screen all the time.
So if I enter some text in then want to just put it in my pocket - how exactly do I go about making sure it's saved?
Sending applets into the backround means starting an application and thereby hiding the desktop. So you don't have to send an applet into the background. It's happening automatically.

And "closing the applet" also means rebooting or shutting down the device.

So the current auto-saving is covering pretty much every case where you could loose data, except an unexpected crash.

And anyway if you want to, you can still save a note manually, by switching to another note via right or left arrow button. It's doing the same thing as the save button did before (except locking the note).

1) Does clicking the Right arrow always create a new note if there are no further notes (does it ask if you want to do that?). I don't want to risk accidentally creating a bunch of notes if clicking the right arrow.
Notes are automatically created, without confirmation. I don't see a need for a confirmation dialog. Each new note is just an empty file in /home/user/.yellownotes
It doesn't take any space on Flash/SD card and creating a new note doesn't take any longer than switching to an existing one. It's like all 99 note are already existing and you just have to put text into them.

The reason why I did implement it this way is, that using the applet should be as easy as possible. When writing down notes, I don't want to bother with note creation or deletion. I just want to start typing right away.

When turning a page of a real notebook, there is also nobody asking, if that's really what you want to do.

Though I will change the logic in a way, that when switching to a non-existing note and again switching to the next/previous note without entering any text, the new note will not be saved and no empty file will be created for it.

2) It would be nice if it would show what note your are on.
Say for instance 3/5 in the corner meaning you are on the 3rd out of 5 notes.
For the reason explained above, imo this doesn't really make sense. Especially, because there is no functionality for note deletion. Just for erasing the content of an existing note. So what would be the overall number of notes? The number of note-files, even if some of them are empty? Or just the number of notes which contain text?

3) Would it be possible to if you held the stylus pressed down on the menu bar (or in the note maybe) it would change the transparency to be non-transparent for easier reading in some situations. The prior version did that when you moved the note around on the screen.
The new version is still doing this.
I have to check how this is currently being done. At least there seems to be no code in the yellownotes applet, which is causing this behaviour. So I guess it's something which is automagically done by the application framework.
But I think such a functionality would make sense.
Or once I have again added an lock/unlock button something like (configurable) transparency when the applet is in view mode and no transparency when it's in edit mode.

Last edited by iskarion; 2009-07-24 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
I installed the new version of Yellow Notes and after a restart it was up and running and after having put in some notes in it it seems to work just fine - no crashes or odd behavior and it seems like a great move towards an even more useful applet.

Originally Posted by iskarion View Post
I will check, how I can re-add some sort of locking functionality in the next version. Maybe just one button for toggling between locked and unlocked.
Sounds great. If that 'locking' also would automatically trigger a save that would be awesome (I'm slightly paranoid about loosing data in the notes as something I don't use any other app than Yellow Notes and right now the 'save' function does make me feel a bit safer.

Notes are automatically created, without confirmation. I don't see a need for a confirmation dialog. Each new note is just an empty file in /home/user/.yellownotes
It doesn't take any space on Flash/SD card and creating a new note doesn't take any longer than switching to an existing one. It's like all 99 note are already existing and you just have to put text into them.
After having worked with it for a while I agree with you - a confirmation message to open a new note is most likely not needed.

The new version is still doing this.
I have to check how this is currently being done. At least there seems to be no code in the yellownotes applet, which is causing this behaviour. So I guess it's something which is automagically done by the application framework.
But I think such a functionality would make sense.
Or once I have again added an lock/unlock button something like (configurable) transparency when the applet is in view mode and no transparency when it's in edit mode.
Yeah I noticed it still does it when the note is moved around.
The transparency options depending on what 'view' you are in may be 'overkill'. Just pressing down on the frame/side/note and having it become solid would go a long way

If I haven't said it enough times...THANKS for working on Yellow Notes!! :-)
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Changes in version 0.4:

* (Re)added a combined save/lock & edit/unlock button
* Now notes are only saved, if there are actually any changes.
This also means that new, empty notes will not be saved anymore.

Don't forget to reboot after the upgrade.
Attached Files
File Type: deb yellownotes-applet-diablo_0.4_armel.deb (13.6 KB, 239 views)
File Type: gz yellownotes-applet_0.4.tar.gz (225.5 KB, 138 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
- - -
- Two layers per note. One for text and one for drawing. Transparent background for both layers. In additon to the already existing text edit button, add A button for drawing. Depending on which of the two buttons you press, the corresponding layer will become the foreground layer and enabled for editing.
Great idea to be able to draw, and to combine text and drawings !

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Changes in version 0.4:

* (Re)added a combined save/lock & edit/unlock button
* Now notes are only saved, if there are actually any changes.
This also means that new, empty notes will not be saved anymore.

Don't forget to reboot after the upgrade.
Installed it and rebooted and it works and looks great!
Thanks for the save/edit/lock button - love it.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Barbados
Wow! my tablet just got a whole lot cooler and nicer to use.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
The new version works reasonably well also on Chinook, provided it's installed with
Code:
dpkg -i --force-depends
as nicely suggested some posts before.
Only transparency doesn't work, but it's not much a nuisance.

I'm sorry I'm bugging all developers for Chinook versions but... iskarion... if you have time...

This one is SO useful. Thanks!
Yeah, I also do wish one could set the transperency though.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by KristianW View Post
Great idea to be able to draw, and to combine text and drawings !
But iskarion hasn't implemented this yet, correct?

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
@munky 261: Could you edit your Post #1 to include something like:

There are two polished editions of Yellownotes available for download. The .deb for Yellownotes 0.4 (thanks to iskarion) can be found in Post #53. The .deb for Yellownotes 0.2 (thanks to fiferboy) can be found in Post #2. The primary difference between the two is that 0.4 provides for having multiple notes.

(Such a note in the first post in a thread like this is really helpful. Otherwise people don't know there is a later release unless they dig a lot deeper than they should have to. This is especially true for an app that is not in Extras.)

(Also, munky261, thanks for your initiative on the idea and on the bounty.)

@iskarion and fiferboy: Thanks for a great little applet. It really ought to be in Extras.