Is there a way to have LED indicator blinking until you listen to the voicemail (I am on AT&T)?

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I'm on USA's TMobile too. When someone leaves a voicemail I get a alert saying voicemail. Clicking it will dial my voicemail box #.
I am with tmobile as well. I had to import all contacts from sim card to get the vm notification correctly.

I deleted all contacts once - this broke the vm notification, and I had to do the import from SIM again to get things working.

Weird, but I'm glad I know when I have a vm waiting...

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ London/M4 Corridor
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
The tape reel notification is trigger by a special format SMS to the handset in question. This is operator dependant on how this is configured (if at all). The common alternate is a simple text via SMS.

At present I beleive you will find that the N900 doesn't support this extended capability along with a few other features. It would be nice to see this implimented but in the meantime simply call your operator customer services to ask them how to configure this for your account.
This info seemed to be useful, and there didn't seem to be a bug along these lines already, so I created one. If you want something done, suggest the appropriate UI treatment and vote for the bug at https://bugs.maemo.org/votes.cgi?act...7595#vote_7595.

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by Alan_Peery View Post
This info seemed to be useful, and there didn't seem to be a bug along these lines already, so I created one. If you want something done, suggest the appropriate UI treatment and vote for the bug at https://bugs.maemo.org/votes.cgi?act...7595#vote_7595.
This is optional functionality for DCS and therenot a bug. This is request for enhancement of existing functionality & therefore needs to be submitted as a brainstorm. This would allow proper discussion and voting for proposed solutions.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
This is optional functionality for DCS and therenot a bug. This is request for enhancement of existing functionality & therefore needs to be submitted as a brainstorm. This would allow proper discussion and voting for proposed solutions.
Certain enhancement requests must be in bugzilla first, i think.

In brainstorm, what use would it be to say "Problem: The N900 doesn't support this special SMS format. - Solution #1: Support it."?

Yes, it's an enhancement request, but nothing one would "brainstorm" about. It seems clear what to do, there's probably some documentation available to Nokia on how to do it... so what's the use of a brainstorm? The only decision to be take is if to implement it, not how.

It happens a lot to enhancement requests these days. The effect is that all these requests (and Nokia's replies) are moved away from a well-documented, structured bugzilla to a place that's become the graveyard of ideas.

One should first propose such clearly defined things as an enhancement request in bugzilla and only move to brainstorm when Nokia definitely put a WONTFIX on it.
That would do two things:
a) It would give us a clear information on what Nokia is (not) going to do about it.
b) It would allow us to really brainstorm about a much different problem: "Nokia is not going to implement this in the core OS; what could be done by the community to still have the functionality."

The way it's handled now, I don't see much value in such brainstorms.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Benny, thanks for chipping in.

The voicemail indicator is part of an optional subsystem so there is a fair amount of work involved to get this, though other nice things are available too if this is done. Whilst not quite the amount of work of MMS this is still quite a fair amount of work. The functionality is also operator dependant. As the question posted by OP was how to get notification, the use of SMS text message seems to answer the thread.

If we are going to raise a formal request for functionality would it not make sense to look at the areas of DCS that we would like to get it all in one?

Benny, thanks for chipping in.
My pleasure.
The voicemail indicator is part of an optional subsystem so there is a fair amount of work involved to get this, though other nice things are available too if this is done. Whilst not quite the amount of work of MMS this is still quite a fair amount of work. The functionality is also operator dependant. As the question posted by OP was how to get notification, the use of SMS text message seems to answer the thread.

If we are going to raise a formal request for functionality would it not make sense to look at the areas of DCS that we would like to get it all in one?
I can't follow you here - which really means "I can't follow you", not "I disagree and want to play smart".
Are you trying to point out that brainstorm would be a good place for this one issue because, in fact, it's not only the voicemail indicator but a bunch of stuff that will all come (or not) once the voicemail indicator works? I'm just trying to paraphrase what I think you said...

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
My pleasure.

I can't follow you here - which really means "I can't follow you", not "I disagree and want to play smart".
Are you trying to point out that brainstorm would be a good place for this one issue because, in fact, it's not only the voicemail indicator but a bunch of stuff that will all come (or not) once the voicemail indicator works? I'm just trying to paraphrase what I think you said...
Hi Benny. There is a whole host of other potentially goodies that would be basically coming to the party, yes.

I'm posting via the N900 at present so finding the relevant link would be tough. try googling for sms indicator messages. The whole thing is explained in articles on DCS subsystem. If you PM me I'll fire the laptop up tomorrow and send you a link.

Found some basic info: scroll down: Voicemail Indicator

Last edited by Fargus; 2010-01-04 at 00:55. Reason: Reference Added

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post:
Found some basic info: scroll down: Voicemail Indicator
It's posts like yours that make me love this forum. Really interesting stuff!

Still, wrt enhancement requests, I firmly believe this community is on the wrong track. A clearly defined request such as "add support for voicemail indication" or "add support for mms" is what it is: a specific request to enhance the functionality. Nokia needs to decide (on a management level, not the developers) if they plan to add the functionality in the future. Again, it's not the "how" that needs to be discussed as it's written in the specs. Its's the "if".

Only if Nokia closes such an enhancement request WONTFIX it makes sense to debate how else one could achieve what was asked for. This may happen in a brainstorm, although most cases that come to my mind here from the recent past are so specific and well-defined that the only possible outcome of such a brainstorm would be "somebody needs to write an application for it".

Brainstorms don't lead anywhere. Nobody feels responsible, Nokia doesn't comment on them.... A WONTFIX in bugzilla is more useful (in terms of information about what's being worked on) than 27 brilliant solutions in brainstorm that in the end will remain theory.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
It's posts like yours that make me love this forum. Really interesting stuff!
Thanks, nice to know it is of interest! (nice that someone clicks 'thanks' too!)

Still, wrt enhancement requests, I firmly believe this community is on the wrong track. A clearly defined request such as "add support for voicemail indication" or "add support for mms" is what it is: a specific request to enhance the functionality. Nokia needs to decide (on a management level, not the developers) if they plan to add the functionality in the future. Again, it's not the "how" that needs to be discussed as it's written in the specs. Its's the "if".

Only if Nokia closes such an enhancement request WONTFIX it makes sense to debate how else one could achieve what was asked for. This may happen in a brainstorm, although most cases that come to my mind here from the recent past are so specific and well-defined that the only possible outcome of such a brainstorm would be "somebody needs to write an application for it".

Brainstorms don't lead anywhere. Nobody feels responsible, Nokia doesn't comment on them.... A WONTFIX in bugzilla is more useful (in terms of information about what's being worked on) than 27 brilliant solutions in brainstorm that in the end will remain theory.
Well maybe we should ask the Maemo council what their take is on this? There is discussion on modification of the forum, maybe someone should take the case forward for brainstorms that clearly need to be Nokia or maybe another mechanism be sought out. I agree entirely that at present there doesn't seem to be a sensible route which is daft.

Any council members care to comment or enlighten us in the correct procedure if it already exists?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fargus For This Useful Post: